Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #31
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford Edge is replacing the Territory

Long wheelbase n short overhangs, thoroughly modern, efficient use of OAL.
Attractive if you like lots of chrome plastic.

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #32
pody

With no third row of seats, we will not look at one. Where the Terry won big fans was with the Mums. It was a crossover. Car platform. You probably remember the 'not a truck' ads Ford used to do squarely aimed at mums. The Edge will mean that Ford can kiss much of that market goodbye. The Everest will be a true 4WD and many buyers will just not be interested in it just for the sake of 7 seat. Mums who will drive it 5 days a week and many, like my wife are not interested in a 4WD. The Territory's real appeal is that it drives like a car and on the weekend can fit in 7 people. We have 3 kids who always have friends that need lifts etc etc. Without that third row in a crossover vehicle, we'll be forced to look outside the Blue oval range. I have 3 mates with Terrys who all say they will have to do the same. The Explorer is not what it once was. It is not a true 4WD and although it is big, IMO is the better fit here..... We may just have to run our 2009 Terry until it dies....
pody is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #33
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Looks good.
Will I buy one?.... probably not. The current Territory is the perfect combo for what I need. Will just have to buy a last-one-off-the-line and hang onto it for dear life.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #34
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pody View Post
With no third row of seats, we will not look at one. Where the Terry won big fans was with the Mums. It was a crossover. Car platform. You probably remember the 'not a truck' ads Ford used to do squarely aimed at mums. The Edge will mean that Ford can kiss much of that market goodbye. The Everest will be a true 4WD and many buyers will just not be interested in it just for the sake of 7 seat. Mums who will drive it 5 days a week and many, like my wife are not interested in a 4WD. The Territory's real appeal is that it drives like a car and on the weekend can fit in 7 people. We have 3 kids who always have friends that need lifts etc etc. Without that third row in a crossover vehicle, we'll be forced to look outside the Blue oval range. I have 3 mates with Terrys who all say they will have to do the same. The Explorer is not what it once was. It is not a true 4WD and although it is big, IMO is the better fit here..... We may just have to run our 2009 Terry until it dies....
You could also wait to drive an Everest before writing it off before it even hits the road......I still think Ford Australia's chassis engineers can make a coil sprung live axle work better then most competitors IRS setups.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #35
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra View Post
Looks good.
Will I buy one?.... probably not. The current Territory is the perfect combo for what I need. Will just have to buy a last-one-off-the-line and hang onto it for dear life.
Yep I'm in the same boat. It is perfect for our needs and is a good balance between big and small. If the update is worth updating to, we'll be getting that one. Otherwise we'll keep our SZ for the long haul.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #36
pody

Smile Re: Ford Edge is replacing the Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
You could also wait to drive an Everest before writing it off before it even hits the road......I still think Ford Australia's chassis engineers can make a coil sprung live axle work better then most competitors IRS setups.
Mate, I'd love an Everest, but my wife who is going to drive it as her weekly run around has said point blank, she will not drive a 4WD. I had a hell of a time talking her into a Territory! I certainly haven't written the Everest off as my other ride is a Ranger XLT but as I said, many women are going to drive this as their weekly run around and without 7 seats many people will not be interest. As they say in the classics, happy wife, happy life!
pody is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #37
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pody View Post
Mate, I'd love an Everest, but my wife who is going to drive it as her weekly run around has said point blank, she will not drive a 4WD. I had a hell of a time talking her into a Territory! I certainly haven't written the Everest off as my other ride is a Ranger XLT but as I said, many women are going to drive this as their weekly run around and without 7 seats many people will not be interest. As they say in the classics, happy wife, happy life!
I can understand wholeheartedly, we went from a G6ET to a Terry Titanium diesel (wife drives them 85%) and she couldn't be happier. I just don't think the Everest is going to have such negative "4WD driving" traits seeing how well Ford Aust did in developing the Ranger I expect the same level of achievement for the Everest and that it will be the most car-like of it's competitors. I guess the fun will be in the waiting.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2013, 06:28 PM   #38
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
The Explorer is no longer a 4WD style vehicle like it used to be. It used to be a separate chassis, rwd/awd type, not it's fwd/awd and no longer a separate chassis. But in saying that it's a much bigger vehicle than Territory. I've seen a new Explorer parked next to a Territory in the PD carpark and the Explorer dwarfs the Terry. It would be Landcruiser size.
Ford’s Explorer has effectively “migrated” from being their version of a 4wd to a modified version of their global D3 platform (as used by Taurus.) It’s now a unibody SUV, available as FWD or AWD.
In many respects, it is now the “logical” replacement for the Territory, being more of an AWD SUV, with the Everest catering for those who want a genuine 4wd. (Something FA hasn’t had for a while.)
However it appears that Ford’s view is that fewer Australians want large cars, hence why the Falcon nameplate dies, and the Taurus won’t be sold here. Smaller, “mid-sized” SUVs are all the rage, and the Edge would slot in well. Those who want 7 seats, can opt for the Everest.

I don’t see the point in trying to keep the Territory name. Might as well stick with the globalisation approach.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post