Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-12-2013, 07:39 AM   #1
TheAussieStig30

Default NSW Rego sucks.

Ok, I'm having a whinge.

Presently, I own 4 cars. I'm in a car club and still serving my initial 12 month period.

My wife has a territory that does all the running around for our kids,
I own a EL wagon that wouldn't do 100 k's a week.
I own a XE sedan that wouldn't do 100 k's a month.
I own a XB sedan which so far this rego, has done 0km.

Ok, the Tezza needs a full registration and insurance. It probably does 200ish km a week.

But why am I (and a lot of you) paying full rego on cars that we drive on the odd weekend and on a nice day? And why should people compromise and buy a small sedan because they only travel to and from the train station and to the shops on one day, so instead of buying a BMW 5 series to park on the driveway, they buy a Yaris, but still pay full registration price. Or what about the people who buy hybrids or very Eco friendly cars, such as smarts or whatever, and still pay the same registration prices as everyone else.

And why is there so much difference between greenslips? I got a renewal from NRMA. $860. Ring them up, the car is insured with them, $405. That's bullshit.
I rang GIO for a quote first on my other car, $900 odd. Bugger off, again NRMA is $405.

So, why isn't there the following:

A full registration for cars which are driven low Km's? I'd like to be able to drive my XE whenever I like, not so much the restrictions of a club plate. But I'm paying $1000 a year to sit it in the back yard.

What about special registration prices for Eco cars. I'm sure some people would own a V8 and buy a smaller car if it was beneficial for them.

Next off, greenslips. Why can't the rms or whoever do a set of year brackets. 16-19, 20-39, 40-65 and above, and each company should send their price for that bracket to the rms, and the cheapest company gets the contract for a year. That way you know that if you're 35 and you need to renew your registration, you are buying the lowest price you can. You can also choose to get your own greenslip if you like, but it's not going to be cheaper than the quoted price, also, insurance companies shouldn't be able to punish you for not getting a greenslip from them.

I have a lot more ideas, but that was a start.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #2
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

Default Re: NSW Rego sucks.

I feel your pain & know what you're getting at, but a couple of things.

General registration costs, go on the vehicle weight & to a point engine capacity, not how far you drive it, smaller cars & eco cars will be cheaper anyway over a large sedan or 4WD. Business registrations are more expensive again, because they know the vehicle will be used more & ware out the roads more than a private general use vehicle.

If you look, you'll find the registration cost is very little, most of the RMS price is made up by Motor Vehicle Tax, & I think a fair proportion of that is Federal Tax?

As for Green Slips, that's the way it used to be, only a couple of providers & the DMT (as it was) would choose which company was going to insure you, (you'd get this one, another company would get the next rego,etc). It changed due to one word "competition", there was no market competition, so the few providers would charge the DMT more or less what they wanted.

The Motor Accidents Authority knows exactly how much every Green Slip provider charges for each circumstance & provide a comparison on their web site (you usually get a pamphlet for it along with your rego papers). Goto it, put in your details & get a side by side price from every Green Slip Provider, if you don't compare, & get the best deal, it's not the RMS's fault. Green slip costings are regulated, if a company gives you a price & then reduces it when you contact them, it's usually due to you giving them more/different info to what they had, or they're breaking the rules, Green Slips are different to the general insurance, where they can "make it up as they go" to suit themselves.

Green Slip costs are heavily weighted to the age of the car & it's safety features. Green slips are cheaper for a newer identical car owned by the same person & garaged at the same place. Newer, safer car, less likely hood/severity of injury & less payout for compensation should the worst occur.
cobramania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2013, 08:56 AM   #3
martyal44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ms Keneally-last Labor Premier of NSW put up the rego based on weight of vehicle - so even though my Falcon can get on the F3 and safely and enjoyably get 7.5L\100km, very much like my daughter's Subaru, I pay more thanks very much...
martyal44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramania View Post

As for Green Slips, that's the way it used to be, only a couple of providers & the DMT (as it was) would choose which company was going to insure you, (you'd get this one, another company would get the next rego,etc). It changed due to one word "competition", there was no market competition, so the few providers would charge the DMT more or less what they wanted.

The Motor Accidents Authority knows exactly how much every Green Slip provider charges for each circumstance & provide a comparison on their web site (you usually get a pamphlet for it along with your rego papers). Goto it, put in your details & get a side by side price from every Green Slip Provider, if you don't compare, & get the best deal, it's not the RMS's fault. Green slip costings are regulated, if a company gives you a price & then reduces it when you contact them, it's usually due to you giving them more/different info to what they had, or they're breaking the rules, Green Slips are different to the general insurance, where they can "make it up as they go" to suit themselves.

Green Slip costs are heavily weighted to the age of the car & it's safety features. Green slips are cheaper for a newer identical car owned by the same person & garaged at the same place. Newer, safer car, less likely hood/severity of injury & less payout for compensation should the worst occur.
A funny thing happend a few weeks ago... I got the renewal for the old Mirage we have that is our run about bucket of crap that we leave out side and lend to out friends when needed.

NRMA renewal I think it was?? $760 ish. I almost fell off the chair... Umm ok, WTF?? I'm sure I paid $5XXish last year? As I did a few months prior for my other car, actually that was high $400.

So I got on the web site to compare prices. (http://www.greenslips.com.au/) There are a few now, but they all used the same search engine so they yeilded the same results. I got this response: Now, for reference this was generated today, but the results were identical 2 weeks ago.

Can you see what I'm getting at??

Many Greenslip insurers are now using customer LOYALTY as a major factor of their pricing.

If I went to the AAMI site, did a quote on their own system and said I was insured with NRMA last year the price is the same as above. If I said that I was with AAMI for the past 4 years the price drops slightly under QBE.

When you go to the QBE site and do your own quote, I think they don't ask the question of past loyalty, and therefore don't use that as a factor in their quote.

You can see that it is a bloody big price difference.

Look it ip yourself. Quote your own car with NRMA or AAMI, I think the magic number is 4 years, once your loyality goes above that, you get a very sizable discount.

Have 3 cars at the moment and wouldn't mind a few old Fords on the garage once we move. Shame we don't have a system where we can specify a car that hardly get used for a discount provided you own another car. Not based on age or club membership either!

Actully, would love to see a system where the driver is insured, and all cars are factored in then a discount applied based on the percentage you drive each car. After all, you can only ever drive 1 car at a time. But that will never work as it makes the system 'fairer' and means it makes less money for the powers that be.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #5
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate I'm hearing you,

I'm presently in the prosess of talking my wife into putting her 38 on club rego, full rego is stupid money for around 2000km per year, some ones told her its shonky so I'm having a tuff time convincing her otherwise

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

'Tis rude.
60 bills for a poxy box trailer.
The money saved from not printing rego labels. Wheres that.
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2013, 07:03 AM   #7
TheAussieStig30

If we drove on beautiful roads I'd be less likely to complain.

We pay road tolls to get in, around and out of Sydney. Where's that money go?

You can also do a large amount of your RTA transactions online, which would have had to have lead to job losses, but still no decreases anywhere.

I've compared greenslips etc, I'm just outraged how a company your car is insured with can send a greenslip for X, then offer a discount if you ring and ask them. That's more labor. It should be dearer. I rang NRMA after I got a quote of $900 odd for the Territory, came down to $600 odd. I said GIO was $540 and they matched it. Come on. Thats just taking the ****.
Old 14-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #8
ltd
Force Fed Fords

I recently did three regos (last three months) and I couldn't believe the cost of Greenslips.
Since the MCIS levy has come in, we're being royally screwed.
Barry O'FAIL said he was going to do something and he did, he paid lip service to the problem two years ago and nothing has happened since.

A lot of this is due to the Green Eco Cars nonsense where anything that burns petrol is seen as the devil and ergo pays more, and the hybrids and other low CO2 emission cars get lower rates. What it is, is communism disguised as environmentalism - they rob us and say; "If you want to save money, buy an eco-car".

What we should do is have a person registered and insured for green-slip purposes, not the vehicle itself. So that means you can drive any certified car (inspection needed annually for mechanical condition - issue it where pink slips are done for say $50.00)
The advantage is that the owner is registered and insured, and can drive any certified vehicle he wants. If he has three cars he only ever pays one rego to use all three. This to my mind would be fair, and equitable so that we're not being as screwed but no, instead we have free rego for dole bludgers and we the working people have to subsidise them the career lazy-*** bludgers.

Quote: