Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-01-2006, 10:55 AM   #31
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

If the description of the unidentified car is spot-on, then it most likely sounds like hot weather testing of the new Volvo S80. There are undisguised spy pictures of this car on the internet.

If I'm correct the prototype car spotted should have a rather prominent shoulder line like other current Volvo's and the side profile will look very similar to the previous generation BMW 5-Series.
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 12:06 PM   #32
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A bigger Territory ? Current Territory can only tow 2300kg. To tow more it would need to be bigger. Horses are heavy !! Territory with a 3000kg towing capacity would be welcome. Not an Excursion or Expedition ???
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 12:59 PM   #33
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

Highly doubt it, the description of vehicle is of a large sedan.
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 01:58 PM   #34
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

The new Volvo S80 is due out soon. They may have been running final tests on pre-production models.

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Des is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 02:20 PM   #35
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodfloyd
I didnt think volvo would test mules in australia, so thats why im thinking its a ford model that has some more "european" design aspects. Im probably wrong, but im still intrigued, any ideas???
Volvo have tested models here. Saw 4 small Volvos go through here a few years ago. All left hand drive and the passenger side loaded with computer gear.
Old 18-01-2006, 03:41 PM   #36
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fishingdogs
Then why would they not use the cutom trailers that ford use for testing?
The plot thickens
..because the engies at Camp Ford filled them with beer and went on hols over the shutdown...
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 04:22 PM   #37
brodfloyd
Hmmmm

yeah, it probably was the new volvo S 80. I just didnt think that volvo would be doing hot weather testing in australia, i thought they would go somewhere exotic, or perhaps closer to sweden. And if in australia, i would go alice springs like that guy said, broadford???? i wouldnt do any testing in broadford, except anti-theft.
brodfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 04:58 PM   #38
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
And if in australia, i would go alice springs like that guy said, broadford???? i wouldnt do any testing in broadford, except anti-theft.
But, they have to get them from to and from the Alice. Not a lot of wharfs for the ships to tie up to out there
Old 18-01-2006, 05:15 PM   #39
brodfloyd
Hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
But, they have to get them from to and from the Alice. Not a lot of wharfs for the ships to tie up to out there
but the hume highway doesnt go to Alice springs, the quick way would be from adelaide, and broadford isnt on the way from melbourne, nor is sydney which is where the hume heads to.

But they are swedish, so who knows
brodfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 05:20 PM   #40
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
but the hume highway doesnt go to Alice springs, the quick way would be from adelaide, and broadford isnt on the way from melbourne, nor is sydney which is where the hume heads to.

But they are swedish, so who knows
You never mentioned in your first post that they were on the Hume. Broadford covers a big area with lots of little car stripping back streets
Old 18-01-2006, 05:35 PM   #41
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This thread is useless without pics.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 05:36 PM   #42
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

The cars come to the Alice via enclosed semi tralier from Adelaide and sometimes Darwin. I have even seen them flown in by sky freighters. We see them out here two or three times a year between december and march. Quite often they are left hand drive. We saw the 05 fiestas being tested out here. I asked the guys driving if I could take a peek. No problems, but no photos. At the moment there are some cars being driven up and down the highway. They are being tagged by two territories with strange trailers that have some kind of generator being driven by the trailer wheels... I will chuck my camera in the car and take a photo next time I see them. I have no idea what the trailers are about.The car car covered in a giant black condom looks like a large 4 wheeler. They are sure getting their warm weather testing done easy with temps over 40 for the last 2 weeks......
Outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 05:50 PM   #43
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
A bigger Territory ? Current Territory can only tow 2300kg. To tow more it would need to be bigger. Horses are heavy !! Territory with a 3000kg towing capacity would be welcome. Not an Excursion or Expedition ???
I tow horses around all the time .... and 2 decent size horses in a 2-berth float (the ones hired out by Kennards) is under the 2300kg load mark .... only just ... hahahahaha
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post