Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-01-2006, 06:39 PM   #1
EBFalcs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default selling car problems

hows this! i'm selling my car at the moment and have it advertised in the trading post and some guy rings me up about it we talk a little then he asks when he can look at it, i say i work during the day so he asks if i'll be available during my lunch break so i said ok come around at about lunch time and we agreed on that. i asked my boss the next day if i could take my break when the guy rock up. he says yes, so there i am holding my break off for the guy and the clock hit's 1:30, so i say stuff it and have lunch, after lunch i continue working and next thing i know it's 4:00. and the guy doesn't turn up at all, no phone call or nothing.

Knob he is

EBFalcs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2006, 06:44 PM   #2
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, welcome to the world of selling a car.

selling cars sucks ***.
Old 17-01-2006, 07:43 PM   #3
EL_futuraistic

yeah i had the same problem when i was selling my EL. I dont know why people bother to call up if they arent really interested and if they are and something came up its only courtesy to call.
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2006, 08:00 PM   #4
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

yea.. it sucks.. I tried to sell the Fairlane, got 3 people to leave a deposit as they were keen, Had to ask the wife, get finance or just go and get the money.. I made $400 on deposits and withdrew the car from sale.
One tosser that got knocked back at the bank wanted his deposit back, I'd had a gutfull by then and told him to get forked. I took the car to my oldies and slept with a bat for the next week hehehe...

Why go shopping if you don't have the cash, I can see these idiots at Coles asking the checkout girl to take the apples off, then the milk until it comes under whatever pitance they have on their bankcard

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2006, 08:04 PM   #5
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh wow, that makes me think Im in for a load of pain in the next few weeks.. My car is going up for sale, maybe I should rethink it all......... :

Awesome idea Racecraft :
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2006, 08:06 PM   #6
max^power
Formerly au^ute

my sister is having simmilar problems. :(
max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2006, 08:10 PM   #7
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

That's why I've always traded in my car, get a few bucks less but get a lot less hassles.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2006, 09:18 PM   #8
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

yer trade in is much easier but i got offered 9 for my BA full year rego good tyres and logbooks. get forked

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2006, 09:32 PM   #9
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm dealing with an interesting one at the moment.
A bloke has left a deposit of 3k on a project car I'm selling. balance owing 1k.
After 3 months, he rings up and asks if I could sell it on his behalf. That was 6 weeks ago.

he hasn't asked for the money back, but I'll be stuffed if I'm going to sell a car on his behalf without any compensation for my efforts, nor without anything in writing. so it continues to sit and collect dust...
Old 17-01-2006, 09:37 PM   #10
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by '67
I'm dealing with an interesting one at the moment.
A bloke has left a deposit of 3k on a project car I'm selling. balance owing 1k.
After 3 months, he rings up and asks if I could sell it on his behalf. That was 6 weeks ago.

he hasn't asked for the money back, but I'll be stuffed if I'm going to sell a car on his behalf without any compensation for my efforts, nor without anything in writing. so it continues to sit and collect dust...
I'd give him another month, 2 max to come up with the rest otherwise he forfeits his significant deposit. If he wants to sell it, then he should pay up, take possession and then do the selling himself
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2006, 09:43 PM   #11
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

My father refused to sell a car to someone who came for a test drive once.
Took the guy out in the car, and noticed he was riding the clutch at lights.
Once they got back to the yard, the guy started saying it was a great car, and he was definitely gonna take it. My Dad told him it was no longer for sale. Then started to lecture him on the damage he was causing his cars from his driving style.

Too bad he didn't do that to the "friend" he sold my old XD to. He drives an auto with 2 feet. Bloody dangerous. He'll run my old car into the ground just like he did his previous one. He's already ripped the interior out.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2006, 10:04 PM   #12
EDXR
GRRRRRR

The best way i have found to weed out the test pilots,no shows and time wasters is when they ring up and ask if they can come see the car i ask them for there contact number and i hang up and phone them back to check it is their number and then i set a time for them to come see it.

That way when they don't show or are 2 hours late i can ring them and ask what's going on.

People think it's kind of weird to begin with but once you explain the reason they are o.k with it and if they aren't then they are probably wasting your time anyway.

ED XR6-polynesian green,factory 5 spd manual,factory electric sunroof,momo wheel,cruise control,custom plates.
EDXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 11:26 AM   #13
chief
FTF Club Moderator

Haven't had to sell any cars to the public yet. Gave one away to a mate and was slowly repaid. Or just let a gum tree crush it.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 11:42 AM   #14
Discovery
"Jlywrslr" ;)

I always ask for a mobile number if someone says they are coming out to have a look at a car I am selling. I call them if they don't show. Might be worth doing.
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 02:03 PM   #15
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

Too bad he didn't do that to the "friend" he sold my old XD to. He drives an auto with 2 feet. Bloody dangerous. He'll run my old car into the ground just like he did his previous one. He's already ripped the interior out.[/QUOTE]
Best way to drive an auto IMO. Did a defensive driving course a few years back and they taught everyone driving an auto that day to brake with the left foot. Try it you won't go back!!!
Old 18-01-2006, 02:26 PM   #16
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Yangs
Best way to drive an auto IMO. Did a defensive driving course a few years back and they taught everyone driving an auto that day to brake with the left foot. Try it you won't go back!!!
Yeah I agree, I did a course at Oran Park, and they taught the auto drivers to drive with two feet. I always do it now in an auto, much quicker reaction times.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 02:35 PM   #17
vino3o2
owning V8=having no $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery
I always ask for a mobile number if someone says they are coming out to have a look at a car I am selling. I call them if they don't show. Might be worth doing.
I would have to agree...need to get their number, Its a typical story when selling anything!! ...some people just don't care

The Reality: 13.1 @ 106mph.... The Goal: somehow get into the 12s!!! :sm_headba

www.qldsuperkart.org
vino3o2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 06:31 PM   #18
Biggoggs
Rider on the storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
Yeah I agree, I did a course at Oran Park, and they taught the auto drivers to drive with two feet. I always do it now in an auto, much quicker reaction times.
As long as you're not one of those silly people that drive around with their foot resting on the brake (driving along a highway with the brake lights on), I don't see a problem.

EBFalcs: That sucks, but you aren't a butler on-call. I'd wait 15-20mins, then if nothing, get back to work. You're selling a car, not meeting a celebrity.
Biggoggs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 06:36 PM   #19
TURBO_GHIA
hmmm boost

well i have sold one car before and never again

had a few people ring up ,i live a bit out of the way so i asked if they waited to meet halfway

met one guy he drove the car harder then i would doing like 140 km'h in a 60 zone wasnt happy about that .
then he offered me $3500
i said no nothing less then $4500 or theres no point in selling it .so he came up to $4000 said no

and left it at that ,he rang me just about everyday trying to get me to sell

so he rang me on a saturday arvo and wanted me to drive to castle hill ,a good hr and a bit from my place i told him i would drive out there to show his wife but i wouldnt take anything less then $4500 he said we will work something out so i said ok ,i took it out there and he wouldnt move an inch so i said no thanks and left a nice black line on his driveway and sold it 2 weeks later to a young chap for $5000
TUNED BY JEM
TURBO_GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 01:12 PM   #20
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
Why go shopping if you don't have the cash, I can see these idiots at Coles asking the checkout girl to take the apples off, then the milk until it comes under whatever pitance they have on their bankcard
But they always keep their ciggies on even though they only buy milk bread and ciggies. Very rarely do they reduce the size of said pack of cigs to be able to afford milk and bread.
Old 19-01-2006, 01:26 PM   #21
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
But they always keep their ciggies on even though they only buy milk bread and ciggies. Very rarely do they reduce the size of said pack of cigs to be able to afford milk and bread.
Fair call, Deesun - Has anyone ever had a craving for bread? I think not...

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 01:27 PM   #22
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

I've been having trouble selling too... My motorbike that is.
Although, with selling a bike you need to be more careful... Theives are cunning and rife.

Its a hard time of year for a seller, give it a month or so and it should pick up with more reliable bites.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post