Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-01-2006, 05:43 PM   #1
Simmo
White Lightning

Default QLD exhaust decibel testing method?

a mate of mine works at an electronics shop and has agreed to let me decibel test my new exhaust with their awesome gear. what i would like to know is the proper police testing methods so i can get it right and see if i need to make it legal. i know there's a certain distance and angle it has to be on, not just shove the mic in the pipe.

Simmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2006, 05:45 PM   #2
347Stroker
Banned

Bring it around to my place,

Add 1 carton Tooheys New 30 pack Cans
Consume Cans
Let Cans settle for 1/2 hour

Get in car and rev the sh1t out of it for 3 minutes
If the bible bashers next door dont turn on their lights, it can be louder....
347Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2006, 05:49 PM   #3
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

rpm equal to 2/3rds of where peak power is made (i.e. if peak power is at 15,000rpm (yours is. trust me.), then it's tested at 10,000rpm). The mic is 6 feet from the tip of the pipe , on an angle away from the car (i.e. if the pipe is on the RHS, it's 6 feet diagonally to the right of the pipe).

90% sure that's correct.

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2006, 05:57 PM   #4
Simmo
White Lightning

sounds like a plan. anyone actually know the legal limit on cars? 88 and 90db ring bells in my head. never had to worry about all this with the super-mega-50 mufflers and a blocked cat system that was on there.
Simmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2006, 06:06 PM   #5
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

the guys were testing some new gear at Zillmere mainroads one day and I asked them what it was.. It was the new tester... It is a foot by foot triangle on a foot tall tripod with the mic on it.. hard to explain but it is a foot away from the tail-pipe on a 45 degree angle and a foot off the ground

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2006, 06:44 AM   #6
EvilChief
Boost Addict

45degree angle and 1m away toards the opposite end of the car from where the exhaust is located (ie exhaust is on RHS, device i head at 45 degree horizontal and 1m away and same distance off ground as exhaust pipe towards LHS). RPM = 2/3 of max rpm, ie max rpm at 6000rpm = tested at 4000

thats how the cops showed me when i asked them to explain it to me
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2006, 08:41 AM   #7
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine
rpm equal to 2/3rds of where peak power is made (i.e. if peak power is at 15,000rpm (yours is. trust me.), then it's tested at 10,000rpm). The mic is 6 feet from the tip of the pipe , on an angle away from the car (i.e. if the pipe is on the RHS, it's 6 feet diagonally to the right of the pipe).

90% sure that's correct.
90% correct, YES..... the rpm you need to be tested at is 4000 rpm, regardless of your rev limit (unless of course you car dose not rev to 4000)
mic is 6 ft to the side of your car at a 20 deg angle back. (i.e. if the pipe is on the RHS, it's 6 feet diagonally to the right of the pipe angled back 20 deg). if you have a pipe coming out on both side of your car (like new GT) you will have to conduct the test twice. Once on each side of your car....

An interesting note. When testing you do not take into account the back off gurgle you exhaust make when you get of the peddle.....

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2006, 11:00 AM   #8
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
the guys were testing some new gear at Zillmere mainroads one day and I asked them what it was.. It was the new tester... It is a foot by foot triangle on a foot tall tripod with the mic on it.. hard to explain but it is a foot away from the tail-pipe on a 45 degree angle and a foot off the ground
Well, if anyone gets pinged using that equipment, I'm pretty sure its able to be fought, from memory its too close to the pipe and will cause inaccurate readings due to near field effects (Been a while since i did noise and vibration type accoustics, but recall that theres a minimum distance for measuring based on the lowest frequencies expected to be found). This is from an engineering standpoint, not department of transport bullИИИИ rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba
90% correct, YES..... the rpm you need to be tested at is 4000 rpm, regardless of your rev limit (unless of course you car dose not rev to 4000)
mic is 6 ft to the side of your car at a 20 deg angle back. (i.e. if the pipe is on the RHS, it's 6 feet diagonally to the right of the pipe angled back 20 deg). if you have a pipe coming out on both side of your car (like new GT) you will have to conduct the test twice. Once on each side of your car....

An interesting note. When testing you do not take into account the back off gurgle you exhaust make when you get of the peddle.....
Sweet. this means that my RG is barely above idle if/when it gets measured.
Anyone 100% on the sound limits? bikes 96db(a)? Pre 90 something cars 92db(a)? newer 88db(a)?