Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-01-2006, 08:13 PM   #1
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default I got a XR 7 too

gee these xr 8 s get exspensive when things go wrong ,dropped on to 7cyls
last night , {great timing no drags for me tomorrow} got it diagnosticalay {if thats a real word) assesst spent near $500 on bits + coil pac, plugs + leads ext only to find it was a $22 valve spring . the biggest cost being the leads
@ $370 plus from ford , went for NKG at $270 just couldn"t figure why so much compared to the i6. also a cam sensore thingy $500+ wont be gettn 1 of them new when it gives up.. I supose thats the cost of being a happy XR driver..
so.. next question having replaced all the sparky bits do I do the 1 broken spring(zorst} or get a good set + do the lot motor is Au11 220 ,65000ks on it
Makes a good 190+ at the wheels, G+D cai,. unichip + a noisy zorst.
Probabley a dumb question.. but she who hands over the cash is very suspisious when i go shopping .... :Up_to_som :Up_to_som
lol a broke walking Whoosha......................

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2006, 08:55 PM   #2
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its up to you, you can replace one or the whole lot, depends how much money you have and how much time u have spare to install it.
just some advice, when you drop a cylinder, it is always worth taking off the rocker covers to have a look at what is going on.

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2006, 09:45 PM   #3
xr8ute
Back on the road

Hmm....this sounds familiar. That sux man :(

I know the stock springs on the AUI motor where pathetic, not so sure about the 200/220kw motors though, i think they where a little different??

How much money do you have to spend, and long can you be without the car? I priced some good comp cams gear for about $500 in parts or some not as good Crane or Trickflow gear for around 250. Thats springs, retainers, and locks.

Bear in mind it was a Crane spring that broke on mine. The Trickflow gear seems a slightly better becsuse they use 10 degree locks and retainers compared to the Crane (7 degree) I would expect quality is probably on a par with Crane.

Labour costs to replace springs would be significant as well....unless you can do it yourself?

Probably best just to swap back in a standard spring for now. Then save it little extra cash and get G&D to fit some good valve springs at the same time as a bigger cam ;)

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2006, 10:42 PM   #4
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ute
I know the stock springs on the AUI motor where pathetic, not so sure about the 200/220kw motors though, i think they where a little different??
I had a feeling 220kw motors used Yella Terras ? or am i wrong
Old 27-01-2006, 10:46 PM   #5
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8fella
I had a feeling 220kw motors used Yella Terras ? or am i wrong
Yella Terra handled the headwork i.e. porting, larger valves, roller rockers. Not sure what brand/spec valve springs they used though...

5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Old 27-01-2006, 10:47 PM   #6
JG3282
Awake after dark

It would stnad to reason that they would be YT or should I really be saying Crow?

His Car: XE Fairmont Ghia - For Sale Here

Her Car: ED Fairmont - Lowered, Pioneer stereo, Sony XPlod speakers, Big Exhaust & more
JG3282 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2006, 11:07 PM   #7
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG3282
It would stnad to reason that they would be YT or should I really be saying Crow?
Did Crow do the cam grinds for the 200/220 AU XR8's as well? Or where they Ford Motorsport parts?

Anyway, i reckon just replace the broken one for now. And plan for a cam and valvespring upgrade when you can get it approved by the missus.

BTW, I'm shattered your not going to make it down the track this weekend. Your making impressive power, I was very keen to see what sort of times you were going to put down.

I'd love to try a G&D CAI myself, but I think I need to stop spending money on n/a style mods and concentrate on fitting up the blower...lol.

Old 27-01-2006, 11:33 PM   #8
xd5.8l
Banned

My engines pretty shagged (130,000) when driven with vigour I find the valvetrain is fairly rattly or noisey afterwards.

Would the main cause of this be the decrease in spring tension due to the extreme heat?

Or are these engines valvertrains just inherintly noisey?
xd5.8l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2006, 11:36 PM   #9
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Could be anything from a slightly stretched timing chain to valve clearances needing adjustment
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 07:51 AM   #10
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Anyway, i reckon just replace the broken one for now. And plan for a cam and valvespring upgrade when you can get it approved by the missus.

BTW, I'm shattered your not going to make it down the track this weekend. Your making impressive power, I was very keen to see what sort of times you were going to put down.

I'd love to try a G&D CAI myself, but I think I need to stop spending money on n/a style mods and concentrate on fitting up the blower...lol.[/QUOTE]

must admit am not happy about not running at this event, had been plotting +planing for months. are well next time.I will still be there to sniff the fumes + suport the rest of the gang. was trying to crack a 13 this time out ,managed a 14.08 last outing, mite do just the broken spring this time + start being realy nice to the misses : any ways come over to the transporter with the 1 vacant space + have a yarn always good to put faces to the names....... walking Whoosha : :
P.S go the blower... :hihi:

Quote:

Last edited by Whoosha; 28-01-2006 at 07:57 AM.
Old 28-01-2006, 07:56 AM   #11
347Stroker
Banned

Quote:
Did Crow do the cam grinds for the 200/220 AU XR8's as well? Or where they Ford Motorsport parts?
Yes, Crow did them for the 200/220 and 250 engines.
347Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 12:14 PM   #12
xr8ute
Back on the road

14.08 is sooo close...what sort of 60' times are you getting, and what mph at the end of the track?

I was heaps keen to head to Heathcote today for some racing, but i'm working in Perth at the moment, and driving a Hyundai Accent rental car for the next 3 weeks :

I'll see you at the AUFalcon big BBQ day though.

Good luck getting your spring replaced, hopefully shouldn't take too long.

Thanks for confirming the cams KingMutant

Dave

Old 01-02-2006, 02:48 PM   #13
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Quote:
14.08 is sooo close...what sort of 60' times are you getting, and what mph at the end of the track?

I was heaps keen to head to Heathcote today for some racing, but i'm working in Perth at the moment, and driving a Hyundai Accent rental car for the next 3 weeks :

I'll see you at the AUFalcon big BBQ day though.

Good luck getting your spring replaced, hopefully shouldn't take too long.

Thanks for confirming the cams KingMutant

Dave
Yay :1syellow1 :1syellow1 got all 8 cyl cracken again (thanks G+D for the loan of your floor space + tools,hate standing +working in tha rain) seems the leads plugs + valve spring have fired some life back into the old girl will get serviced + re dynoed tomorrow but feels strong as ever or mite be the weight loss due to walking for a week : Now if we can just have a action replay of last saturday (maybe a bit cooler) I"m in....
Saw a xr6 down there getting a zorst + cai. put some good numbers up on the dyno before I was asked to leave + come back when its finished lol.. Watch this space for : info..
dave ; 60ft was 2.1022 mph97.64 but it was only my 2nd time out in the car hopefully with a bit more practice who knows
also thanks to all the AU guys for the ifo + help when these problems arise
........... Cheers a driven Whoosha again................... :eclipsee_ :eclipsee_

Quote:
Old 01-02-2006, 03:39 PM   #14
Stampy

OK Whoosha are you running a auto or manual mine is near the same spec as you but I'm running an auto 181.9rwkw and my 60ft are 2.2 and 14.7et @ best MPH was 98 worst 96 Track temp was 35 and 85% humidity

Id love it if you could post a pic of Dyno report after you get it done ,and whats your idea of a cool temp

Alan
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 04:03 PM   #15
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampy
OK Whoosha are you running a auto or manual mine is near the same spec as you but I'm running an auto 181.9rwkw and my 60ft are 2.2 and 14.7et @ best MPH was 98 worst 96 Track temp was 35 and 85% humidity

Id love it if you could post a pic of Dyno report after you get it done ,and whats your idea of a cool temp

Alan
5speed, stampy ,motor is 220 ran it just after unichip went in .was at 193.7 rwk temp was 27c hum. 25% at heatcote .sheet + slip posted here some ware will get kevxr8ute to post a new one for me when its done (old computer illiterate one finger typist is me ) :
cheers .......Whoosha

Quote:
Old 01-02-2006, 04:17 PM   #16
Drive XR7
American Muscle

I have an XR7.

Ford 5.0L High Output, 3.73 gears. 245HP.

It isn't that bad. ;)
Drive XR7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 04:27 PM   #17
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Sweet lookin ride man ,would make a great pimp mobile lol ......

Quote:
Old 01-02-2006, 08:02 PM   #18
xr8ute
Back on the road

Thats a nice 60'. My best is 2.140, but the first gear in the auto is sooo tall, even with the 3.9 gears its not exactly a rocket off the line.

I reckon with a converter stalling around 3000rpm i'd be in the 13's for sure.

Glad your back on the road

Old 01-02-2006, 08:31 PM   #19
Stampy

Quote:
Thats a nice 60'. My best is 2.140, but the first gear in the auto is sooo tall, even with the 3.9 gears its not exactly a rocket off the line.

I reckon with a converter stalling around 3000rpm i'd be in the 13's for sure.

Glad your back on the road

No Stall my best 60ft is 2.250 I will try Stalling next time I get a chance ,Ive heard 1800 Rpm is the best , but I can only try

Alan
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post