Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-02-2006, 04:47 PM   #1
Phex
Starter Motor

Default UHF CB radio

Hi guys,

Do you guys use portable CB's (i.e. handheld) or the fixed ones? Which one is better and for what reason?

Phex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 05:18 PM   #2
AnthonyQLD
Boss power

I have a handheld Uniden (UH075) its 5 watts so its not to bad.
Its also waterproof which comes in handy for outdoor activities. Cost me around $350 that includes Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery, desktop charge cradle and AC adaptor. The battery will last around 12 hours. :voldar02:
http://www.uniden.com.au/AUSTRALIA/p_uh075_index.asp
AnthonyQLD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 05:26 PM   #3
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I use a fixed incar UHF, i find it has better range and clarity. Also i use a magnetic base aerial so i can transfer the unit between the 3 cars.
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 05:26 PM   #4
Penelope Pitstop
Can't get enough of this.

Location: Standing on the driveway sobbing because I don't have a PINK ute anymore :0(

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyQLD
I have a handheld Uniden (UH075) its 5 watts so its not to bad.
Its also waterproof which comes in handy for outdoor activities. Cost me around $350 that includes Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery, desktop charge cradle and AC adaptor. The battery will last around 12 hours. :voldar02:
http://www.uniden.com.au/AUSTRALIA/p_uh075_index.asp
I have the exact same one as Anthony and it is a little beauty – crystal clear reception, long range and because it is rechargeable you don’t have to waste money on batteries.

The only problem is that if it dies and you need to recharge it in the car it must rest in the cradle and you can’t speak when it is in the cradle you can however listen though… but it does last a good 5 hours or and even more if you are not continually gas bagging on it like I do…
Penelope Pitstop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 05:40 PM   #5
Dilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melz
I use a fixed incar UHF, i find it has better range and clarity. Also i use a magnetic base aerial so i can transfer the unit between the 3 cars.
How much are these aerial's? Any holes required to be made in the cars body?
Dilan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 05:43 PM   #6
AnthonyQLD
Boss power

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirtekGirl76
I have the exact same one as Anthony and it is a little beauty – crystal clear reception, long range and because it is rechargeable you don’t have to waste money on batteries.

The only problem is that if it dies and you need to recharge it in the car it must rest in the cradle and you can’t speak when it is in the cradle you can however listen though… but it does last a good 5 hours or and even more if you are not continually gas bagging on it like I do…
5 hours : you must do a lot of talking :
AnthonyQLD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 06:58 PM   #7
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

I have a old Uniden UH011 inthe car that i put a cigarette lighter fitting on, and a magnetic aeriel on, so i can transfer it between cars.
I also have a GME TX4300 in my truck which has cell call and scanning features, which i find really handy, GME definatly make a better unit imo.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:25 PM   #8
Dilan

Two quick questions:

[1]Anyone got any links to these magnetic aerials for sale? On ebay,online etc?

[2]How would this CB suffice Click
Dilan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 07:46 PM   #9
EL_futuraistic

Yeah that is the AM model..... they are bordering on obselete now days. UHF is the way to go, the magnetic aerial mounts can be purchased from most Dick Smith stores.

checkout

www.prestigecom.net.au

i found them to be the cheapest, they do package deals with aerials. They are in Perth i think, however they overnight postage for a small charge, and even after postage are still cheaper than DSE or Tandy.

however if your not after brand new then ebay would be a good choice.
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 07:55 PM   #10
XRchic
Hello

We have a Uniden 2 watt and it only has regular batteries... It is a good little unit for a cheapie, but it would be nice to have rechargeable batteries, and desktop charger instead of stuffing AAs into it all the time...

I wouldnt go for anything with much less power though. Great for cruises with all of you lot and also for travelling interstate with parents in tow in 2nd car (also with UHF)....

Wouldnt go on a cruise without one now!

That 5 watt jobbie sounds alright too!

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 08:26 PM   #11
Steve_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirtekGirl76

http://www.prestigecom.net.au/defaul...ics&openmenu=4

...bottom of page - speaker mic for UH075 - then you could speak while charging
Steve_T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 08:33 PM   #12
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

You have to decide if you want hand held or in car...

In car will out perform hand held EVERYTIME....

For in car, , ( BA ) look at a GME TX3200.... and look for mag bas antenna or

AE4017K2 antenna. ( from GME ).... prob the best ever for car use..

If you are mounting in a BA, , there is a trick way of doing the bracket off the boot, , or even out from the bottom off the tail-light... ( yep, the bracket sticks out from the bottom of the tail-light !, , works well and looks ok...

http://www.gme.net.au/land/antennas/uhf_cb_antennas.php

there is the link to the website for the antennas..

If you purchase the TX3400 or TX4400 and live in QLD, you can get channel 40-50 programmed in it, to listen to the police ( legal ).... The last time I saw this done it was about 5 months ago, , so I am not 100% sure if it still works..

What city do you live in and where will you use it ? This might change the antenna !

Hope this helps

AC/DC

oh, , expect to get a TX3200 for about $295 and the AE4012k2 for about $80.......
AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 09:01 PM   #13
Phex
Starter Motor

Thanks for the info guys all of you. I prefer in car radio as apposed to handheld as I hear they are more powerfull. The CB will be used for the occasional club cruise and having a chat with truckies. Hence I do not want to fork out the moneys for a brand new one.

Therefore I am in search of an old UHF CB radio and aerial on ebay (on teh cheap). If anyone comes across on can you please let me know.

One question say I purchase an old CB radio what is this about it having to be programed? Say for example my car club uses channel 23 to communicate can I just switch to channel 23 and chat?
Phex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 09:57 PM   #14
HOON69
Banned

i own hand held and now incar uhf i prefer hand held for cruising and incar for travel.
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2006, 12:20 PM   #15
chief
FTF Club Moderator

Need to get myself a hand held one for cruises. This is what I was looking at http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-co...section-02.htm model # Uniden UH041p

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2006, 05:00 PM   #16
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

The maximum (legal) power for CB radios is 5Watts regardless of wether it is a mobile (in car) or portable (handheld).

Mobile units will probably get better range and clarity due to the fact that the antenna is larger and can use the car as a ground plane.

GME Electrophone make excellent radios, which are affordable new.

Be careful with ebay. Dont become confused between CB radios and commercial radios. Every thing that has a mic and an aerial does not neccisarily do CB channels! A CB radio should not require programming.

There are a few units out there that have more than 40 channels, and generally these radios are commercial units that have been programmed with CB channels and the remainder with recieve only Police / Fire / Ambulance or whatever. These can be good but also very confusing and unless you know someone who can reprogram them, they can be annoying in future when you want to change things.

Prestige Communications are as cheap as you'll get. DSE / Tandy may match their prices so this may be more convinient than postage.

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2006, 05:12 PM   #17
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

I have a cheapy uniden one for pretending im a CIA agent in the neighbours backyard, and a GME fixed unit in the ute, so I can pretend im a truck driver.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post