Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-03-2015, 11:41 AM   #1
12slots4ever

Default Desired by thieves???

I'm wondering how desirable Au XR8s are to car thieves and how easy is it to steal them? I use a club lock on my car. George
12slots4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2015, 11:45 AM   #2
mcfly94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Desired by thieves???

They need the keys or tow truck
mcfly94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-03-2015, 12:05 PM   #3
BOTTLEDUP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As above, and for the 2nd part of your question, no AUs aren't a desirable car for crooks... Too hard to start for joy riders & no value to 'professional' thieves.
BOTTLEDUP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-03-2015, 12:46 PM   #4
12slots4ever

Thanks for that. I know if I didn't have my keys with me, I would be in trouble! George
12slots4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2015, 03:09 PM   #5
Spurious

If you read up on the "stolen car" thread, you'll find most of the newer v8"s that are stolen resulted from the thieves ransacking a home & finding the keys.

Usually the perpetrators are know to the victim, or they had a good idea of where to find keys.

My old XF s-pack was at serious risk as thieves love to steal those. Most can be started with a screwdriver or nail file etc....or even another X model ignition key will do.
I wound up getting a Cyclops Paralyser alarm system. They feature a chipped remote & a dual immobilizer system.
All the wiring was black to make isolating which wire is which impossible, especially to someone who has limited time in which to make of with the vehicle.
I fitted the 2 separate immobilizer circuits to both the ignition/starter relay & to the coil pack.
The package also came with 2 separate flashing LED's, so just one glance at the car was enough to tell thieves that my car wasn't worth their time!
Plus it had a glass shatter censor, boot & bonnet pressure buttons.
You could also purchase a Mongoose system which, with a SIM card fitted, would alert the owner via SMS if the alarm was activated & gave the owner the ability to track the vehicle if it wound up on a truck!!!

Battery back up alarm too, so if the battery is disconnected, the alarm sounds & automatically activates the immobilizer.

The point was proven the first week I got my XF. I had a mate with an XD & his ignition key could unlock my doors & start the motor.

Suffice to say my XF was never stolen or broken into in 10 years of ownership.

As for my AU2, it's garaged & locked, & I even sleep with the keys next to me, & where I go, they keys come with.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2015, 12:00 AM   #6
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Very easy to get into a AU/BA/BF, starting and getting away is another matter.

Apparently according to the older members, getting around smartshield is easy. I've pondered this for years and have a theory, but it doesn't get around the steering lock issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k View Post
Not necessarily ... I found my accident how you can bypass smartshield ... I was shocked and disappointed. It's a lot easier to get around than you think.
:

And no ... i am not telling anyone what it is.

I hope you can find the ute ... such a shame as it is such a clean example too.
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2015, 12:58 AM   #7
XW-BAXR6T

Steering club or effective smartsheild wont stop someone using a tray or tow truck from stealing it as some have mentioned above. Its the desired method these days from what ive been seeing on a facebook stolen rides page. Making it harder for a tow or tray to be used would be very effective!

Nick.
XW-BAXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2015, 05:43 PM   #8
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

Someone tried breaking into my old AU once. They got through the first step which wouldn't have been too much of a struggle, then perhaps chickened out. The second step was even easier.
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2015, 12:31 AM   #9
Sportsman
Starter Motor

I used to tow vehicles in a past job. If you want to make it hard to tow your car away, turn the front wheels full lock before taking the keys out.
Makes it a huge hassle to drag the car up onto a tray and also makes a front lift difficult.
Sportsman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2015, 01:01 AM   #10
Spurious

Quote:
Originally Posted by XW-BAXR6T View Post
Steering club or effective smartshield wont stop someone using a tray or tow truck from stealing it
Half inch thick chain around the diff will !!!

I also hear Dobermans are quite effective. (chained to car, or in the back seat!!!)

I once heard the tale of a guy in Queensland who wanted to insure his mint GTS HQ, or something similar...
The insurer apparently asked him to concrete an eye bolt into the garage floor & secure chains from it to the chassis.

How badly do you want to keep your car?
That's the real question!
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2015, 12:20 PM   #11
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I'd go out on a limb and say that there wouldn't be a car thief in the world that would think the AU is a good target.

Lame 20th century performance, worth pocketchange, not collectable, relatively hard to steal.

Seriously they'd steal an LS1 VT 1000000 times before they'd even consider thinking about attempting to stealing an AU.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-03-2015, 08:45 PM   #12
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

im a towie, easiest way to steal a car with the steering fully locked would be..

put tray down, release the truck hand brake, and winch the truck towards the car, and wallah, done :P

also helps to wet the tray

Last edited by kyro_02; 29-03-2015 at 08:57 PM.
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2015, 09:06 PM   #13
Bourbon Ute

I tried to get a quote from Shannons once for my AU2 XR8 manual ute, according to them they're desirable! Although the kid on the phone probably didnt know what they look like.
Bourbon Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post