Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 11-02-2006, 10:14 AM   #1
niko
likes falcon's

Default powersteering fluid

im wondering if its bad that my fluid has gone grey/browny. will this affect anything? or should i pull switch out and accidently let it drain out and put new stuff

Old 11-02-2006, 12:42 PM   #2
Stevo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im pretty sure thats normal after a long time of use. If you can, I would replace it (wouldnt hurt either way would it! )
Old 11-02-2006, 02:49 PM   #3
niko
likes falcon's

ye i was thinking undo it at someones joint that i dont like due to recent events. and "oh man my cars ИИИИИ" what should i do

but that would be to fun now. hehe
Old 11-02-2006, 06:29 PM   #4
Nath
NA Series II

common sign of old fluid is when it goes brown same thing with auto fluid should change it if you can.
Nath is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2006, 10:32 AM   #5
niko
likes falcon's

ye but in powersteering system its not as advanced as an auto. like will it kill the system??
Old 12-02-2006, 11:48 AM   #6
Nath
NA Series II

You wouldnt think so unless it actually runs low on fluid and the bearing inside the pump siezes or the seal splits!Although it is good for the seals to have clean fluid.Like a service its all preventative maintenance so changing it on a regular basis will more than likely stop or delay things going wrong.Were constantly changing the p/steer fluid at work during a service cause once a p/steer pump or a rack is damaged 90% of the time it cant be repaired and the owners have to fork out for new parts.

Last edited by Nath; 12-02-2006 at 11:54 AM.
Nath is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2006, 11:51 AM   #7
94EDxr6
5.SPEED

I know my powerstearing oil is the wrong sort because everytime I turn the wheel the power stearing makes a slight hissing noise. Iv been told to replace it ford oil but I havn't got around to it. Will this damage anything?
94EDxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2006, 11:53 AM   #8
niko
likes falcon's

if its got lube in there i dont see how it will damage anything, if its bone dry thats a different story
Old 12-02-2006, 11:56 AM   #9
Nath
NA Series II

Like i say its all preventative maintnance it wont kill the system but it wont hurt to change the fluid
Old 12-02-2006, 12:01 PM   #10
Nath
NA Series II

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94EDxr6
I know my powerstearing oil is the wrong sort because everytime I turn the wheel the power stearing makes a slight hissing noise. Iv been told to replace it ford oil but I havn't got around to it. Will this damage anything?
Good question!thats a hard one!they always recommend you use the correct p/steer fluid but imnot if the wrong one in will cause damage??????Different oils have different thicknesses and properties would be better to put the right fluid in for piece of mind but im really not sure if a different oil will cause damage!!
Old 12-02-2006, 12:01 PM   #11
niko
likes falcon's

whats the easiest way to get the old crap out
Old 12-02-2006, 12:03 PM   #12
Nath
NA Series II

at work we normally disconnect the hoses at the pump or rack and let it drain into a container.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:05 PM   #13
niko
likes falcon's

does a little bit stay in there?
Old 12-02-2006, 12:05 PM   #14
niko
likes falcon's

like once i drain, can i leave it disconected
put some new fluid in it and start or just let it drip through
Old 12-02-2006, 12:18 PM   #15
Nath
NA Series II

We normally wait for the fluid to stop flowing then reconnect the hose and fill up at the pump (ususal spot)then go lock to lock with the car on to let the fluid fluid get back into the hoses/rack.After that just top up the fluid cause it should drop slightly.Best place to disconnect the hose would probably be at the steering rack to get nearly all of it out.only problem with that you need a hoist to use so you can get to the hose conection easier.you could just change it at the pump at home though by disconnecting the hose at the pump but you wouldnt get as much old stuff out cause obviously the fluid cant really travell up and out the hose.If your not keen on doing it just take it to a workshop nearby and get them to do it.It wouldnt cost you much cause its pretty easy for the mechanics to do should only take them 1/2 an hour or less.Theyve got the tools for the job and you know if anything goes wrong thats their mistake and not yours.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:21 PM   #16
niko
likes falcon's

ye im getting it done on a hoyst for sure

cheers man
Old 12-02-2006, 10:11 PM   #17
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Trans fluid also can be used for steering. Or at least my PS pump seems happy with it :P
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2006, 07:14 PM   #18
Nath
NA Series II

Yeah i know commodores also use auto fluid as a power steering fluid (Dexron III)so itd be the same as fords.(Im ashamed to admit but yes i also have a commodore)
Old 13-02-2006, 07:51 PM   #19
AshMan
Girrrrr!!!

You can put auto fluid in the power steering but don't put power steering fluid in the auto!!!

The auto is a lot more complicated than just a hydraulic pump and some pistons...

I'm guessing the auto fluid would be made to a higher standard so maybe auto fluid is better than normal power steering fluid???

pls correct if wrong...

Heritage green, isn't that a fence paint?
AshMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post