Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-07-2015, 06:30 PM   #1
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Default Mercedes-AMG C63 S first drive review

Quote:

Mercedes-AMG C63 S first drive review

July 17 2015
Sam Hall

Mercedes' hot-rod division has concurrently re-mastered and revolutionised the V8 with its new twin-turbocharged engine.

This isn't the first time a fresh upstart has made a mark at Bathurst's legendary Mount Panorama circuit. And it certainly won't be the last.

Mercedes-AMG's new C63 S sedan, with its 4.0-litre twin-turbocharged V8, saunters out of the pits during its Australian preview on the closed-off circuit this week. With occupants cocooned in plush leather seats, the engine and transmission gently sequence through the seven ratios on offer and the soft suspension soaks up subtle road imperfections in a way the previous C63 – a hard-edged muscle car with a classic European veneer – couldn't.

Then, I press the five-mode drive button and the new model exhibits versatility few other road cars can match. The electrically-assisted steering stiffens to offer excellent precision, good on-centre feel and an uncanny turn-in response, the same adaptive suspension tautens and an electronic charge thickens the fluid running through the engine mounts for a more stable ride at speed.

The Mercedes-AMG C63 S taking on Mount Panorama.

Confronted with tightening emissions and renewed competition from German and Japanese rivals, Mercedes' has responded with a vehicle which not only drives better at the limit, but is softer, more refined and better resolved as a daily road car as well. On a circuit like Mount Panorama, the result is compelling.

Even the engine, the subject of much conjecture when Mercedes' confirmed it was replacing the venerable 6.2-litre naturally-aspirated V8 of the old C63 last year, enlightens the senses with its immense take-up from anywhere on the tacho. Offering maximum outputs of 375kW and 700Nm, the new 4.0-litre drivetrain is will accelerate from 0-100km/h in just 4.0 seconds, and on a closed Mount Panorama, it lacks for nothing.

The broad surge of torque – peaking from just 1750rpm – is instantly accessible out of challenging corners including The Cutting and Forrest's Elbow. The immediacy is thanks in part to turbochargers mounted inside the engine's cylinder banks instead of outside to minimise lag and increase throttle response, a feature shared with the new AMG GT. Even encroaching 250km/h down Conrod Straight, the engine shows no sign of abating…

An enriched exhaust note – which can be switched on or off using a flap in the standard Performance Exhaust system – offers a ferocious bark. Pressing the Sport or Sport + modes activates the full orchestra; the driver is the conductor, playing its sonorous tune with varying throttle applications and eliciting a sharp crack between gear changes.

The sporty engine relishes the chance to work with the accompanying seven-speed automatic. In regular driving it is smooth and well-timed in its shifts, plying for the vehicle's 8.6L/100km fuel economy thanks to a new coasting mode. Snappy, decisive changes take precedence when the driver select dial is wound to its most hyperactive setting.

An electronic limited slip differential, widened front axle and 265mm-wide 19-inch Michelin Sport tyres ensure utmost confidence in laying down the power and help provide excellent lateral grip despite a 1730kg kerb weight. Even when successive laps begin asking questions of the tyres, the C63's electronic aids flatter the driver by intuitively stepping in.

There is a real sense of occasion about the C63. A flat-bottomed steering wheel wrapped in alcantara, meticulously-crafted centre fascia and excellent workmanship throughout play on the strength of the regular C-Class on which the AMG version is based. Limited rear seat space and a narrow drive foot well are about the only gripes from an interior packaging point of view.

Priced from $154,900 in sedan guise, the new model represents a $15,000 saving over the C63 Edition 507 that it replaces. A top-end Burmester audio system with digital TV tuner, sat nav and internet connectivity, 19-inch alloy wheels and a panoramic sunroof are all standard inclusions, as is a five-star safety rating.

In developing the new model, Mercedes' has both re-mastered and revolutionised V8 sports sedan performance. The Aussie-built muscle car might be on limited time, but if this is the future, prospects are very bright indeed.

Mercedes-AMG C63 S pricing and specifications

On-sale: August 2015

Price: $154,900 (sedan), $157,400 (estate) – plus on-road costs

Engine: 4.0-litre twin-turbo V8 petrol

Power: 375kW at 5500-6250rpm

Torque: 700Nm at 1750-4500rpm

Transmission: 7-spd automatic, RWD

Consumption: 8.6L/100km (sedan), 8.7L/100km (estate)

http://www.drive.com.au/new-car-revi...16-gicqwg.html
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2015, 07:28 PM   #2
Trump
bitch lasagne

Default Re: Mercedes-AMG C63 S first drive review

I'm not sold on its looks. However it reads like its a barnstormer!
Knock $50k off the price and watch it fly out the doors...

Last edited by Trump; 20-07-2015 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Fixing a contradiction :D
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-07-2015, 09:07 PM   #3
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Should ask GRUM what it was like, he was up there ............in the snow and ice
Old 20-07-2015, 10:47 PM   #4
HULK_I6T
Banned

Start saving those pennys... thats a real car.
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2015, 10:58 PM   #5
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
Start saving those pennys... thats a real car.
But will your neighbours approve?
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2015, 11:21 PM   #6
dawsman
FG GT 335 Owner

I have been reading up on these as I'm keen on adding a Euro to the garage at some stage. Well priced IMO at $155K for the sedan but the problem for me is the "plus on road costs" which adds $20K making it $175K (for the hopeless mathematicians...). That's getting too close to $200K for me!

I'm having a car crisis at the moment, thinking about everything from a 2015 Ranger to an Everest to a Shelby American Mustang to a C63S AMG !!! First world problems aye?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TOY: 2011 FG GT 335 #0498, Nitro, 6sp MANUAL, 18% tint, Herrod K&N Filter, Herrod-JLT oil breather, Manta twin 3" s/s cat-back exhaust, Shockworks adjustable coilovers, R-Spec wheels (build thread)

DAILY: 2015 PXII Ranger Wildtrak, Pride Orange, 6sp auto, tech pack (pics here)

BEFORE: 2005 Mercury Silver BF XR8 ZF Auto, 20% tint, custom 2.5" cat-back exhaust, Advanti Zeta 19" wheels (found it!)
dawsman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2015, 11:32 PM   #7
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawsman View Post
I have been reading up on these as I'm keen on adding a Euro to the garage at some stage. Well priced IMO at $155K for the sedan but the problem for me is the "plus on road costs" which adds $20K making it $175K (for the hopeless mathematicians...). That's getting too close to $200K for me!

I'm having a car crisis at the moment, thinking about everything from a 2015 Ranger to an Everest to a Shelby American Mustang to a C63S AMG !!! First world problems aye?

What on road costs would come to 20k ?
(sent from a normal desktop PC using a keypad)
Old 20-07-2015, 11:40 PM   #8
dawsman
FG GT 335 Owner

Alright maybe $15K, car sales lists them for 170.5K drive away. Presumably ORC +dealer delivery + LCT

What's a keypad?

TOY: 2011 FG GT 335 #0498, Nitro, 6sp MANUAL, 18% tint, Herrod K&N Filter, Herrod-JLT oil breather, Manta twin 3" s/s cat-back exhaust, Shockworks adjustable coilovers, R-Spec wheels (build thread)

BEFORE: 2005 Mercury Silver BF XR8 ZF Auto, 20% tint, custom 2.5" cat-back exhaust, Advanti Zeta 19" wheels (found it!)
Old 21-07-2015, 12:19 AM   #9
dawsman
FG GT 335 Owner

Photos from Carsales

4 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2015, 02:39 AM   #10
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:

Funny I’d like to know more about what they call on road costs as my 2010 model wasn’t that bad.

At the time there was a 9 month wait after the order was accepted and Mercedes were not prepared to negotiate on price, they had more than enough customers so it was a take it or leave it deal.

The only on road cost I paid were comprehensive insurance, window tint and floor mats.

Here’s how my pricing worked.

Taken from my purchase documents the drive away price included:

Sedan:..............................$112,950.00
Less Allowance:..................$25.11-
AMG Carpet Mats:...............$277.00
Tint:..................................$460.00
Dealer Delivery:..................$2,250.00
GST:.................................$11,591.19
LCT:..................................$21,096.92
Stamp Duty:......................$6,535.00
Rego:................................$476.00
CTP:.................................$423.00
Benz Comp Insurance:........$3,468
Total Drive Away Price:.......$159,502
Old 21-07-2015, 03:01 AM   #11
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

To easy.

Mercedes-Benz Australia has the Drive Away price listed on their website and after looking at the spec, along with the sensational twin turbo V8 the new model has a lot more to offer over the outgoing one.

C-Class Sedan Mercedes-AMG C 63 S

Manufacturer’s Recommended List Price (incl. GST):.......$133,434.00
Recommended Maximum Dealer Delivery (incl. GDT):.....$3,269.23
Luxury Car Tax:.............................................. ..........$22,055.77
Total Registration:..................................... ................$1,231.04
Stamp Duty:............................................. ................$7,040.00
Drive Away Price:............................................ ..........$167,030.04

Add your comp. insurance and any options you wish (of which there isn’t many) to that price then drive it on home.

The MB advertised Drive Away price is about $12k over the one in the above review.
Old 21-07-2015, 11:38 AM   #12
dawsman
FG GT 335 Owner

Add $3K to that drive away price for WA (should have mentioned the state in my earlier post)

Old 21-07-2015, 12:08 PM   #13
G RUSH

Those advertised fuel consumption figures are absolutely hilarious.
G RUSH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2015, 12:40 PM   #14
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by G RUSH View Post
Those advertised fuel consumption figures are absolutely hilarious.
Along with the quoted 0–100km/h, that’s Aurion territory.
6 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2015, 07:52 PM   #15
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

I'd love to see the C63 V the worlds fastest, quickest and greatest Tesla Model S, 20 hot laps around Bathurst. I know it would be unfair to the C63 but I wonder how far behind the C63 would be?😜
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2015, 08:57 PM   #16
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
I'd love to see the C63 V the worlds fastest, quickest and greatest Tesla Model S, 20 hot laps around Bathurst. I know it would be unfair to the C63 but I wonder how far behind the C63 would be?😜
Many would love to see that - how many laps would model S complete going full gas ?
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2015, 09:30 PM   #17
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
I'd love to see the C63 V the worlds fastest, quickest and greatest Tesla Model S, 20 hot laps around Bathurst. I know it would be unfair to the C63 but I wonder how far behind the C63 would be?��
I guess it’s the top flight P85D you’re talking about as the other Model S variants wouldn’t keep up with the AMG in acceleration and the top speed on all of them is limited to around the 250km/h mark.

Any way a stock C63 wouldn’t do 20 hot laps of Bathurst and neither would many other stock performance cars.

It would be parked in the pits after a few to cool down.

So what would be the point, the fast Euros are nothing more than fancy pants muscle cars.

At 3.1 seconds to 0-100km/h the AWD Tesla S P85D is in another league and would be better matched with another AWD that is reasonably close to its price range like the 2.9 second 0-100km/h Nissan GT-R.

Still it would be interesting to watch the Tesla and the AMG in a full stick drive by and listen to which one sounds best on the way past.

Or make it even more interesting and line up all the local and imported performance sedans and see how they measure up against each other for trackability and reliability.

The last one standing wins.
Old 21-07-2015, 09:45 PM   #18
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Looking into the future…the days of cheap RWD V8 muscle cars is almost over soon they won't cost $60k will have to at least double that +, makes the FGX and SS look like good really buying. The AMG C63 is a good thing yes imo there are better looking AMG V8's available.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2015, 10:29 PM   #19
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudPipes View Post
I guess it’s the top flight P85D you’re talking about as the other Model S variants wouldn’t keep up with the AMG in acceleration and the top speed on all of them is limited to around the 250km/h mark.

Any way a stock C63 wouldn’t do 20 hot laps of Bathurst and neither would many other stock performance cars.

It would be parked in the pits after a few to cool down.

So what would be the point, the fast Euros are nothing more than fancy pants muscle cars.

At 3.1 seconds to 0-100km/h the AWD Tesla S P85D is in another league and would be better matched with another AWD that is reasonably close to its price range like the 2.9 second 0-100km/h Nissan GT-R.

Still it would be interesting to watch the Tesla and the AMG in a full stick drive by and listen to which one sounds best on the way past.

Or make it even more interesting and line up all the local and imported performance sedans and see how they measure up against each other for trackability and reliability.

The last one standing wins.
These cars are eligible for 6 hour Bathurst enduro race - it will interesting to see if they can do 20 laps :-)
http://bathurstmotorfestival.com.au/...mobiles-v4.pdf

Last edited by SumoDog68; 21-07-2015 at 10:36 PM.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2015, 02:46 AM   #20
brismike
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it looks ugly as ****. Wouldn't have one if they were giving them away for free.

Wife's - 2018 Peugeot 3008 Gtline, Pearl White - 6 Speed Auto - Fully Optioned.

My Toy - 2014 Smart Fortwo Passion Crystal White, Black Tridion Cell - 5 Speed Auto with Flappy Paddles - Tint - Twin Exhaust

The only good Commodore is the one now very very quickly disappearing in my rear view mirror.
brismike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2015, 04:14 AM   #21
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by brismike View Post
I think it looks ugly as ****. Wouldn't have one if they were giving them away for free.
As much as I like what’s under the skin I have to agree it’s one ugly mother.

But if someone dropped one at my doorstep with a note saying it needed a good home I’d find space for it for a while, just so I could experience what’s under the bonnet.

Old 22-07-2015, 07:50 AM   #22
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

That engine bay looks amazing but Id imagine some routine asks/repairs could be a bugger? Im sure the Krauts are all over that.

I think it looks softer than the last version but it has some nice figures.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2015, 08:59 AM   #23
graphicgoose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
As much as I like what’s under the skin I have to agree it’s one ugly mother.

But if someone dropped one at my doorstep with a note saying it needed a good home I’d find space for it for a while, just so I could experience what’s under the bonnet.

Solid engine bay! 10/10 would bang!
graphicgoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2015, 10:42 AM   #24
Golioth
Cruzin in FNQ

Pulled up next to one at the servo last week. Old mate was in paying and he left door open....had a good look while filling the GT - looked pretty flash! Old mate came back and fired her up.....hooley dooley it sounded horney! Yes a bit of a fugly but what a voice!
Old 22-07-2015, 04:27 PM   #25
dawsman
FG GT 335 Owner

If it was a C63S then it must be one of the first in the country.... I thought they weren't on sale until next month?

You sure it wasn't the previous model with the 6.2?

Old 22-07-2015, 05:32 PM   #26
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

I reckon they look amazing inside and out.
The YOUTUBE reviews reveal how amazing these things sound - just incredible. Growls like a Lion fighting over its carrion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_KMYhD0HT0

I think the squared rear quad exhaust outlets arent as dramatic as the previous model - so because of that - I wouldnt buy one...

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2015, 05:37 PM   #27
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
If it was a C63S then it must be one of the first in the country.... I thought they weren't on sale until next month?

You sure it wasn't the previous model with the 6.2?
Benz recently had a 'test' day on the Mountain as shown by the pics in the first post.
Old 22-07-2015, 05:37 PM   #28
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Looks have taken a big step backwards from the previous model. But there's no doubt the new motor will be a right weapon.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2015, 09:36 PM   #29
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Each to their own but I think it looks stunning from every angle.

A good mate sells Benz vans and had a C200 or something or other a little while back and let me have a drive. Even that was amazing, went well, the different drive modes had distinct and noticeable difference in steering, suspension and throttle feel, and the interior is just next-level-awesome.

This new C class has left its competitors in the shade across the board, can only imagine how insane the C63 will be.

Still, no manual option would see me heading over to my friendly BMW dealer for a good look at the M4 I think.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2015, 10:10 PM   #30
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Yeah I think they look awesome too. I just had a drive of a C250 diesel with about 500nm torque. They are way better to drive than the w204 previous model. Interior is twice as good as previous model which was a bit cheap looking, exterior looks better from most angles but rear end is a step back from previous models.