Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-02-2006, 09:30 PM   #1
fred0
Starter Motor

Default New Headlights

Does anyone have the below headlights, or ones like it, on their AU?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/AU-Falcon-Per...QQcmdZViewItem

Was thinking about putting in some driving lamps on my AU1 Fairmont but these might do instead. Any opinions?

Cheers

fred0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2006, 09:31 PM   #2
Hitman
Way over here

I haven't got them, and I'm not a big fan of them either.
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2006, 09:33 PM   #3
HLC
Audi S3

the 'performance' doesnt mean they are better performing. buy some better globes for your car. check out Narva's range of globes for headlights. much better than the standard ones.
Old 13-02-2006, 10:24 PM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Mechan1k has them, or ones like them, on his car, so does Jonbays.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2006, 06:50 PM   #5
T3man
Banned

I bought a set for my car and found after fitting them that the adjusters were unusable and so I couldn't aim them at all. One light was fairly closely aimed as it came and I could judge from it that the light output was no better than the original lights. I sent them back. If you like the look of them check out the outer adjuster position. To be able to "screw" it you'll need to drill a hole in the panel work directly behind it BEFORE you fit the light and also my advice is to make sure you get the adjustment where you want it before fitting the bumper cover back on. It will save you a lot of work if you aren't happy with the lights. Be sure you get a money back guarantee in case you aren't satisfied.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2006, 07:19 PM   #6
stiddy
Banned

im undecided on them.. they might grow on me.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2006, 08:39 PM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
I bought a set for my car and found after fitting them that the adjusters were unusable and so I couldn't aim them at all. One light was fairly closely aimed as it came and I could judge from it that the light output was no better than the original lights. I sent them back. If you like the look of them check out the outer adjuster position. To be able to "screw" it you'll need to drill a hole in the panel work directly behind it BEFORE you fit the light and also my advice is to make sure you get the adjustment where you want it before fitting the bumper cover back on. It will save you a lot of work if you aren't happy with the lights. Be sure you get a money back guarantee in case you aren't satisfied.
Same here .... I have adjusted them the best I can. The left/right adjustment is behind the guard ... the only way to adjust that is take the headlight out and put it back in again.

It think they were cheaper as a pair brand new on www.ozeparts.com.au

But I am thinking of getting the standard AU headlights and getting the surrounds painted black .... at least the adjustment is better ... and the beam pattern is better on the standard headlight as well. TRUST ME ... and I use HIDs through them too.

Oh ... the aftermarket HID globes/kits burn large holes through reflectors tooo ... ooopsey.

IMHO ... they look nice ... but that's all ... I am going back to the factory look ... and slightly modified (projectors custom mounted inside and black surround).
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2006, 11:53 PM   #8
fred0
Starter Motor

Thanks for the feedback guys. I might stick with the originals for now.

Cheers
fred0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2006, 04:11 AM   #9
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

hahahaha

Quote:
he 'performance' doesnt mean they are better performing
You mean like performance Pedals.

haha - I just got Performance Pedals fitted and I swear they make my car got 1/2 second better on the quarter!

I dont like them - for functional reasons, I like the stock headlights.

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2006, 08:01 AM   #10
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I always thought stock AU lights worked better than just about anything else for spread and throw?
Rod.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2006, 10:24 AM   #11
AU:PROJECT:UTE
Drought Breaker

I'd have to agree there if someone made aftermarket lights that could perform better than the original equipment then I'd be interested. Not having a go at the E Series guys but AU headlights /\/\/\/ all over everything and give BA's a bloody close run too.
Personally if you want more light put some 100W/80W H4's and 100W H1 globes, that'll shine through all soughts of muck and darkness. Have tryed this personally and it works like having a pair of 10" IPF's on the front.
ALL COUNTRY: SW Platt Mccann 5 Poster, GME 4706 7' Whippys, Uniden UH015SX UHF AND Scanner combo, Narva Taurus Bull lights, Hawk Grille, Series II Pursuit Side Skirts, Stickers on the back window and more eartags than a mob of cranky angus

ALL GO: XR6 VCT donk and ECU NO MORE!!
Now even MORE fun with 200kw XR8 and 5 speed, Tickford Cluster, 3.45 LSD, full custom twin system w/- 3" chrome angle cut tips :
AU:PROJECT:UTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2006, 11:48 AM   #12
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

I dont mind the look of those lights, but only if you have a kit to go with it (Like the silver Ute on TV where he comes around a bend to fast, flicks it sideway to avoid a truck and gets T-Boned, that Ute has those lights) but i still think that the standard ones look fine, at least the Fairmont ones, they are clean looking & give off great light spread. I read somewhere that they are 50% (or something) brighter then the EF/El ones just from the reflector design. I am running those Arctic blue lights in them and they give off great white light spread. Was running 80/100w H4's and 100w H1's in my old EA and they were pretty good to but ran pretty hot. I even ran some 90/130w H4's for a while but in the old EA they started to melt the plastic reflector a bit so had to take em out.

With the Arctic Blue ones and the sort, they claim that a 55/60w Globe gives off the equivilent light of a standard 80/100w Globe. If you thow a set of them you will have pretty good lights in my opinion.
TS50 Front Bar with Fog lights, TS50 Rear Bar. Injected LPG System,
autickfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2006, 01:14 PM   #13
AU:PROJECT:UTE
Drought Breaker

This is a little off thread but that silver ute that gets T Boned, has standard lights and has silver pieces that are part of the body kit over the lights to give the lights a dissected look between the lens of low beam, high beam, and indicators.
I just put that same front bar and grille on my ute, looks very tidy and individual with AU2 pursuit skirts and swapped my tray for a tub.
ALL COUNTRY: SW Platt Mccann 5 Poster, GME 4706 7' Whippys, Uniden UH015SX UHF AND Scanner combo, Narva Taurus Bull lights, Hawk Grille, Series II Pursuit Side Skirts, Stickers on the back window and more eartags than a mob of cranky angus

ALL GO: XR6 VCT donk and ECU NO MORE!!
Now even MORE fun with 200kw XR8 and 5 speed, Tickford Cluster, 3.45 LSD, full custom twin system w/- 3" chrome angle cut tips :
AU:PROJECT:UTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2006, 01:18 PM   #14
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU:PROJECT:UTE
This is a little off thread but that silver ute that gets T Boned, has standard lights and has silver pieces that are part of the body kit over the lights to give the lights a dissected look between the lens of low beam, high beam, and indicators.
I just put that same front bar and grille on my ute, looks very tidy and individual with AU2 pursuit skirts and swapped my tray for a tub.
XR Strider and I were looking at this very closely over the weekend... we had the clip frozen and zoomed in and all it appears to be is either a plastic or painted "eyebrow" over the top part of the light. Effectively narrowing the look of the light to almost match evenly with the grill height....

Then the car got hammered :(

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2006, 04:55 PM   #15
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

they look good when you use a hammer on them, honestly, they are the worst headlights i have ever seen, nothing wrong with color coding your bezel's!!!
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2006, 04:56 PM   #16
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

oh and AU headlights are SUPERB! better than standard BA headlights, thats for sure!
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2006, 06:07 PM   #17
boodek
Ferret

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU:PROJECT:UTE
I'd have to agree there if someone made aftermarket lights that could perform better than the original equipment then I'd be interested. Not having a go at the E Series guys but AU headlights /\/\/\/ all over everything and give BA's a bloody close run too.
Personally if you want more light put some 100W/80W H4's and 100W H1 globes, that'll shine through all soughts of muck and darkness. Have tryed this personally and it works like having a pair of 10" IPF's on the front.
I thought the general consensus was that it is best to stick with standard wattage globes in polycarbonate lens headlights? I'm about to get a set of Narva Plus 50s for my AU, but if it's safe to stick 100/80 and 100w globes in, I'd rather do that. By the way, the headlights on my work BA ute are much better at present than our AU Futura, but it does need new globes and a decent aim.
boodek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2006, 08:44 PM   #18
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by boodek
I thought the general consensus was that it is best to stick with standard wattage globes in polycarbonate lens headlights?
Got it in 1. Unless of course you don't mind premature ageing & burning of the lenses, & that's not just for the oncoming drivers, the headlights too. The BA headlights are a step up from the AU mainly because of a more concentrated (smaller) reflector surface & overall smaller size incorporating the same H4 globe as the AU.
Old 15-02-2006, 08:45 PM   #19
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

AU XR's... last of the Glass lenses

Old 15-02-2006, 09:04 PM   #20
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
AU XR's... last of the Glass lenses
Ahhhhh, not sure mate......if you like, to test the theory, I can perform the "drop test" on these 2 I've put aside for you. If they break......you were right, if they don't, you can still have them. :
Old 15-02-2006, 09:12 PM   #21
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Quote:
silver pieces that are part of the body kit over the lights
They are called eyelids.Quite common in the bodykit world. Alot of modded Nissans and VL's have eyelids, narrowing the look of the headlight and making them more look like eyes.

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2006, 09:14 PM   #22
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dok
Ahhhhh, not sure mate......if you like, to test the theory, I can perform the "drop test" on these 2 I've put aside for you. If they break......you were right, if they don't, you can still have them. :
I'm betting that dropping them would be REALLY bad! Glass doesnt like impacts like that. :

Old 15-02-2006, 09:21 PM   #23
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
I'm betting that dropping them would be REALLY bad! Glass doesnt like impacts like that. :
Seemed like a good idea at the time, however, in hindsight, best not. Getting too bloody hard to get now.
Old 15-02-2006, 09:40 PM   #24
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Trust me they are glass as i have smash a few :
Old 16-02-2006, 12:08 AM   #25
divine_afg
Extreme_Custom

hello everyone
well not a big fan of them AU lights they dont look that good at all
was going to get them for my car but ... wen i saw a pair on a wagon that Extreme Kits did .. didnt like it although i think the only way they would look better is if you
paint them black .......... it would look nice similar to XR's
cheers
divine_afg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2006, 07:30 AM   #26
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr rob
oh and AU headlights are SUPERB! better than standard BA headlights, thats for sure!
You must have awful BA headlights ... the Headlights on the Territory (very similar to BA Falcon) outclass the AU (my factory headlights I have sitting in the garage) ... even though the AU headlights are pretty damn good ... the Territory lights flog them for beam pattern and clarity.

Then there's the highbeam on the Territory .... damn ... they give my Lightforce 240s a run for their money ... hee hee
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2006, 02:54 PM   #27
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

sMy mistake with the ad, i saw it again and your right, they are eyelids.

Still i prefer the standard lights.
TS50 Front Bar with Fog lights, TS50 Rear Bar. Injected LPG System,
autickfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post