Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 06-02-2006, 05:50 PM   #1
imbear

Question petrol smell eb

hello i have an eb series 2 wagon, i keep getting a bad petrol smell in the car, it seems to come and go, more so when the fuel is low or when the air con is on, i cant see any obvious leaks any suggestions would be appreciated. :sm_headba

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2006, 06:25 PM   #2
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

How's your tail pipe at rear of car?
Check tank vent??
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2006, 08:43 PM   #3
devilracer_01
Sleeping Beast

I had the same thing in my Verada and the one of the fuel injectors was leaking petrol, could be that.
devilracer_01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2006, 08:23 PM   #4
GLI-PSI
Boosting

got the same thing in my wagon (eb2) , id be looking purge vavle and carbon canister area ;) ac on... not on fresh air is it?
GLI-PSI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2006, 01:31 PM   #5
MacGyver

Same thing on my EF when the o2 sensor died. Ran the EEC diagnostics with the engine running and it had fault 172. This is when the o2 sensor is always reading lean. What happens is that the computer thinks "Oh crap I'm leaning out, better pump in more fuel". Said fuel doesn't burn and you get the smell of excess petrol. Changed the o2 sensor and smell was gone. Checked the codes again and all 111 (which means all OK).

cheers
Scott
MacGyver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2006, 08:39 PM   #6
GLI-PSI
Boosting

MacGyver , that is a really good point there mate, never gave that much thought to tell you the truth , thank god it was what i said in my car or i would have been scratching the head
GLI-PSI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2006, 03:43 AM   #7
EAman
Ea 1990 with ef head

one bright spark i know had that problem in a duel fuel car after replacing the fuel pump he blew fuel line of the pumb because it wasnt tigtend up propaly then he headed of to the servo to fill it and wounderd why it took so much fuel when he relised there was a great pudle in around his feet he crawled under for a closer inspection and so did i i could have sworn the seem in the tank had split but in the end the fool hadn't tigtend the screw down thingy that goes round the pump you know that plastic thing that is a real @%$# to get of
EAman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2006, 07:35 PM   #8
Henry4000
Keepin' it real

All my falcons at one stage or another have got the petrol smell when the fuel is quite low, tanks are vented to outside and sometimes you just get a big whiff. Check all the things the other guys mentioned, otherwise, live with it!
Henry4000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2006, 08:09 PM   #9
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I would also make sure the seal around the Petrol pump/fuel sender unit is ok too? Maybe old and in need of a NEW one

PS, best to do when you have bugger all fuel in it
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2006, 08:17 PM   #10
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

about september last yr my number six injector was leaking at one stage, and i could smell it in the car, we went through all the lines b4 i decided to check the injector...DOH
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 255/35/19 - 275/35/19
Shockworks Coilovers
PITLANE AUTOMOTIVE & PERFORMANCE
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post