Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-02-2006, 06:59 PM   #1
tunna
joe dirt

Default brake upgrade

hey tunna here
just wondering if anyone might be able to give me some info on whats involved when converting xr6 brakes to xr8 brakes and a rough price range. i plan on fitting slotted rotters regardless. thankyou

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0016.jpg (5.0 KB, 231 views)
tunna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2006, 09:07 PM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

XR6 and XR8 share the same brakes for both AU1 and AU2/3. The brakes are different between series 1 and 2/3 though.

So, not sure exactly what the right question for you is, but getting slotted rotors will help regardless of whether your car is a series 1, or a series 2/3. From the photo (small) it looks like a series 1.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2006, 11:37 PM   #3
xr8ute
Back on the road

XR8 was same as XR6 was same as Forte was same as Taxi-pack :(

Good pads will make more of a difference than rotors IMO. Some slotted DBA's and Formula Ferodo TS2000 or QFM A1M pads will feel stacks better...

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2006, 12:06 AM   #4
stiddy
Banned

or you can fork out $4500-5000 and get some Brembos :P they will work nicely..

there are a few upgrades out there for these cars thought, starting at like $1800 and only going up.. $1800 was the cheapest ive seen, and that dosnet include the rear..
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2006, 02:03 AM   #5
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what about the cebco kit?? isnt that like $1500 for a set of 4??(going off memory here which is terrible at best of times LOL)
Old 15-02-2006, 07:51 AM   #6
XITED_6
Was It Something I Said!

hey guys check this out
http://www.aussiecar.com/fordbrakeupgrades.html
XITED_6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2006, 02:07 PM   #7
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

BA brakes will not fit an AU1 - they should/might fit an AU2 though.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2006, 02:28 PM   #8
Stampy

That kit is very good and will fit AUII AUIII ,I wonder if AFF members get a better price?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2006, 02:32 PM   #9
Stampy

And where is the best place to get them in QLD/Gold Coast area
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2006, 04:25 AM   #10
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

send an email off to FTG
they have a few kits they do for the AU1 or AU2 (which ever u have)
Old 16-02-2006, 07:24 AM   #11
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I am waiting for Crescent Motors to get their kit finished.
330mm slotted rotors (Mustang rotors ... cheaper than Tickford ... same thing though).
4-piston calipers (from a Skyline GT-R from memory) and Blackstuff bads for the front ... just over the $1200 mark (est.)

This is front only though.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2006, 12:43 PM   #12
stiddy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
I am waiting for Crescent Motors to get their kit finished.
330mm slotted rotors (Mustang rotors ... cheaper than Tickford ... same thing though).
4-piston calipers (from a Skyline GT-R from memory) and Blackstuff bads for the front ... just over the $1200 mark (est.)

This is front only though.

yep all this and braided lines, with a high quality brake fluid, the kid is complete now, but its close to $1800
and more if you want the back upgraded aswell to a 300 or 330mm rotor with a big single piston caliper and braided lines too.. but that throws it into the mid 2kish mark..
Old 16-02-2006, 12:56 PM   #13
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I am just getting the fronts done for courier work.
ALso having issues with caliper clearance on AUI XR8 wheels ... and I think the Territory wheel might have issues ... there's a lip inside the wheel that might catch the caliper.

I need to test that out though.

Brett with the E-series "FTR 427" Fairmont GHIA has been testing these babies for a while and they have been awesome under braking .... no fade and extremely hard bite too.

I can't wait ... cos it's time for new brakes soon.
Old 16-02-2006, 12:59 PM   #14
stiddy
Banned

the standard brakes with a hefty load would be fairly 'eww' to say the least lol

ive been looking at Cresent upgrade for some time now, and it will get done eventually.. but i want the rears done aswell.. i remember talking to Joe about them when he was still in the design stages, and then actually looking and holding one of the calipers you can just tell they are gonna work lol these suckers are huge..

Ive seen them on Bretts car, they look awsome and from what he was telling me, they are unreal! (also saw him run 13.0 1/4 last night at WSID, top stuff!)
Old 16-02-2006, 01:40 PM   #15
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

yeah the calipers are massive ... I think there's pics on www.fordmods.com
Yeah Brett's had more work done ... new diff gears ... larger NOS jet ... and the BA Bulge on the E-series bonnet look neat (functional as well ... needs to clear the manifold).

He has been hoping to break 12s in it ... he's damn close.

I have been speaking to Joe about them as well ... I think my steering rack needs attention first though ... but he will eventually get a set under the ute ... will ust upgrade my rear rotors to standard size slotted and better pads for the timebeing.
Old 16-02-2006, 02:28 PM   #16
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just upgrading the front to the skyline setup. wont that throw out all the braking handling etc??

or is it still ok to run just slotted stock size rear brakes?? seeing as they dont brake much in the rear anyway (front wheels DIRTY... back wheels.. damn near clean!!! on my fairlane)
i think id be very keen on some of that skidline brake upgrade action in the future!!
especially with an auto luxo barge!! the twistys soon get a tad scarey!!

last time i went over mt glorious the brakes were DAMN HOT.. and fadeing a fair bit(still pulled up fairly well tho)... but the S13 silvia in the group i was with cooked the brakes.. the rim it self was so hot u could deep fry on it! and smoke ИИИИin out..
(i was usin the gears of the auto to hold me back goin down the hill which seemed to work ok) and no smoke from em (im running DBA slotteds front and rear with warped from discs)
Old 16-02-2006, 03:16 PM   #17
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

I still have the stock AUII twin calipers on the ute ... they are OK for normal application ... but when you start to load it up ... or start towing hefty loads ... they aren't the best.

I use the auto to engine brake when needed to try and save brakes as much as possible ... but only on steep downhills and under heavy load.

The majority of your braking is done with the front brakes .. the rear brakes do get used ... but nowhere near as much ... from factory they are biased more to the front.

Too much braking in the rear will cause rear locking and a overly too happy tail-end .... very dangerous when the rears lock up.

After a busy day doing courier work I find it near impossible to touch my steelies ... they get pretty heated up ... I also notice at the end of the day that braking is not the best either ... fade starts to set in and sometime I can smell the brakes (like yesterday)
Old 16-02-2006, 03:16 PM   #18
stiddy
Banned

Most of the braking in these cars are on the front, the bias is crazy.. theres no real point to having the rears done apart from looks.. and maybe a 'little' better braking..

me personally would do it, just piece of mind really, plus having big brakes all round looks nice lol
Old 16-02-2006, 03:48 PM   #19
Mr Cube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
BA brakes will not fit an AU1 - they should/might fit an AU2 though.
but you can make em fit...

AUI VCT:
To date - Big brake upgrade, Koni and Kings all round, 2.5 cat back ready for replacing, 19" again ready for replacing.

Planned - Too much now I got the baby back.
Mr Cube is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2006, 09:04 PM   #20
tunna
joe dirt

sorry its a au2 so the xr8 brkes are the same size as the xr6?
tunna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2006, 11:52 PM   #21
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes

get slotted version of ur current brakes
or get the upgrades as mentioned above..
Old 17-02-2006, 01:30 AM   #22
Pol
Polnamos Karnew

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunna
sorry its a au2 so the xr8 brkes are the same size as the xr6?
DBA Slotteds rotors with the AU2 standard calipers and a decent set of pads (Bendix Advance, EBC greenstuff, Ferodos like Genebaby's etc) will make a huge difference to the braking ability of your car. The AU2 setup is 100% improvement on the AU1/EL setup, so you would really only need much bigger brakes like Brembos if you do serious track days etc. Otherwise the DBAs should be good enough, with less fade, better pedal feel and much better bite than standard, even if you are towing heavy loads etc.
Pol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post