Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 14-02-2006, 10:46 PM   #1
locknut

Default Swapping EA/B/D Instrument Cluster

Upon discovering the easyness of removing the instrument cluster in an EA, I was assuming an EA or EB cluster with Speedo, tacho, fuel, temp, oil, batt, would be a direct swap over the stocko EA GL cluster; with only Speedo, Fuel, temp?

Does the factory loom in my car include the necessary signal wires to run these addititional guages?

locknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2006, 10:56 PM   #2
Damo
Banned

this is a very common mod. You need to hook into the tach wire in the bay near the boster, and need a oil presure sender thingy lol. Do a search it's been covered heaps of times allready.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2006, 11:35 PM   #3
efgiar
rofl copter

damo, that wouldnt explain my step bros problem of the dash not working at all would it?

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 12:30 AM   #4
Mickus
Banned

The Tacho 'should' work. I did a swap with my eb gli cluster, didnt run any extra wires and the tacho works fine. The only thing you need is like damo said an oil pressure sender unit. I didnt bother with it on mine. but you might feel deifferently :P
Mickus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 02:29 AM   #5
NARCEA
5/00 AUII Forte

When I swapped my EA GL cluster to an S cluster I had to add a wire for the tacho as well as the oil sender. It is not a direct swap but it is fairly basic. Remember to source an I6 donor cluster if you own an I6, as the 8 will put your tacho out.

efgiar..... love your avatar. Hopefully third series is finished soon!

cheers,

ian
Old 15-02-2006, 09:56 AM   #6
locknut

Cool, not too bad I guess. The oil pressure sender unit, that's something I screw into the block inplace of the 'low oil warning' sender?

NARC EA, how did the extractors improve your CFi GL?
Old 15-02-2006, 10:03 AM   #7
locknut

Nice, not to tricky I guess. The oil pressure sender? That's a unit I screw into the side of the block in place of the low oil warning - sender, right?!

NARCEA, how much better were extractors on the CFi GL?
sorry using at work, didn't look like it posted my reply..

Last edited by locknut; 15-02-2006 at 10:04 AM. Reason: double up on post
Old 15-02-2006, 02:51 PM   #8
NARCEA
5/00 AUII Forte

GSRace- I had wildcat extractors, new cat (not high flow), and a berklee 2.5 inch system fitted. Cost me about 800. Wasn't much gain off the mark (being CFI and 3 speed), but in mid to high ranges there was a definite difference.... I use the EA to tow a bit, and overall the car just seemed to run better after the system was fitted, and managed to get an extra 60 or so kms out of a tank. Looking back on it now it probably wasn't worth it. I would've just got a 2.5 inch system for some added tone and the psychological feeling of more power. Also I did a few country trips and the noise gives passengers a headache. I'm trying to sell the EA now and it seems to put people off.... they assume the car has been thrashed, plus it doesn't add to the resale price. If you need to know anything else let me know mate. Cheers.
ian
Old 15-02-2006, 04:28 PM   #9
Ritchie's5spED
Dream Car..........

I recently changed over the cluster on my ED. It had the standard crap one with fuel speedo and temp.
I found all i had to do was plug the replacement in, but reading above i now know why my oil pressure is always over 7.
If you get a cluster with alot of km's on it it is also easy to take out my original one and place it into the new cluster.

Pacemaker Headers
2.5" Redback Zorst
17" AUIII Tickford Copies
What next?
:
Ritchie's5spED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2006, 05:18 PM   #10
EAman
Ea 1990 with ef head

what is a cluster with tacho worth
EAman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2006, 08:39 PM   #11
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

About $100.00 + on Ebay and there is a guy on Ebay who sells them with White faces on the guages? not sure the cost though.
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2006, 09:22 PM   #12
NARCEA
5/00 AUII Forte

i picked mine up and all the bits for 50 from wreckers. i guess it depends on who you buy it from, obviously they didn't think there was value in it. there were a lot of kms on the odometer but i just swapped mine into it
Old 16-02-2006, 10:18 PM   #13
EAman
Ea 1990 with ef head

sweet ill talk to my local wreckers have seen the ones on ebay with white face i like the look of the red ones better
EAman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2006, 05:52 PM   #14
jedaarr

Location: Nowra (Southcoast) N.S.W. Beutiful beaches no smog & plenty of grog & yes that is my dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARCEA
i picked mine up and all the bits for 50 from wreckers. i guess it depends on who you buy it from, obviously they didn't think there was value in it. there were a lot of kms on the odometer but i just swapped mine into it
How much work is involved in swapping
the odometer over.

TO MANY YEARS IN THE MAKING : :1syellow1
jedaarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2006, 10:35 PM   #15
locknut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedaarr
How much work is involved in swapping
the odometer over.
On the white back of the cluster, undo all the screws, or just the ones inline with the Speedo assembly. There is also 4 push-tabs atop the cluster gently push these down and out with a flat blade, and lever/seperate the the Lens and Cluster ***'y apart.

You'll need to undo the screws on the face of the speed ***'y if you don't have another needle + face piece. If so, take not of where the needle sits when the guage is sitting upright.

It's not that bad at all. Also, if your odometer doesn't work, and you want it to, add some light ceramic grease to the gears at this point. ;)
Old 21-02-2006, 06:06 PM   #16
jedaarr

Location: Nowra (Southcoast) N.S.W. Beutiful beaches no smog & plenty of grog & yes that is my dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSRace
On the white back of the cluster, undo all the screws, or just the ones inline with the Speedo assembly. There is also 4 push-tabs atop the cluster gently push these down and out with a flat blade, and lever/seperate the the Lens and Cluster ***'y apart.

You'll need to undo the screws on the face of the speed ***'y if you don't have another needle + face piece. If so, take not of where the needle sits when the guage is sitting upright.

It's not that bad at all. Also, if your odometer doesn't work, and you want it to, add some light ceramic grease to the gears at this point. ;)
Thanks for your help.

TO MANY YEARS IN THE MAKING : :1syellow1
jedaarr is offline   Reply With Quote