Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-02-2006, 03:49 PM   #1
Pistonbroke

Default Rear Demister

A while back my rear demister stopped working. Changed the fuse and still it didn't work. No big deal I thought, I'll get it looked at next service. Next service came and went and it still didn't work. No worries, I'll get it looked at next service. Same story, except it worked for about a minute then heard a "pop" from the rear windscreen, and stopped working. No worries get it looked at next service. Guess what it still doesn't work. No waiting for next service. took it straight back. Jefferson Fords excuse, the lug has come loose and they can't glue it back. Solution? you need to buy a new windscreen!

Typical response from them, when something doesn't work "We need to order a new one, it's not worth fixing".

Question. Can someone recommend a place in Melbourne to service my AUIIXR6 besides a Ford dealer?

Pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2006, 04:15 PM   #2
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

try this , it works too and cheaper than a new rear windscreen! ....... got nothing to loose by trying it either - and if done right it will work ..

Get a sharp 'dart' , yes a dar from a throwing dart board like in the pub etc etc ... tap hardish/but not to hard around the point where the conector has broke of even with the glass , this will slowlly chip away fragments of glass ,chip away enuff untill u just have a bit of the core from the rear demist wires hanging out the window. get a really thin piece of strong steel wire / not copper wire ! ( needs to be able to handle the heat np too ) + its stronger, only need a strand or 2 twisted together ... next get a multimeter and put it on either side of the wires that run through the windscreen testing its continuousy ( checking to make sure wire in screen isnt broken and that ur conenction is ok ) - if all is fine , get a 'chip window' repair kit or use epoxy resin to patch up where u chiped away the glass ...
next before u connect the windscreen demist again make sure the fuse is ok and the right rating !!!! , if thats all ok then go ahead and plug it in ..

if u dont get a reading on the multimeter that the circuit/wire is complete through the glass , then u will have to check by eye for what looks like tiny bits missing in the wire on the screen ( usually burned out bits ) - the same method as above can be used to repair small breaks in the wire like that too , takes a bit of work but is do-able .. good luck
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2006, 04:33 PM   #3
TICK4D-TAS
Club Moderator

when i had my old car i busted the lug of the rear demister when reinstalling the c pillar trims. I went to my local autobarn and the guy sold me some rear vision mirror glue and some rear demister touch up paint.

what i did was glued the metal tab back onto the window, waited for it to dry, and then painted the whole tab and a little bit of the track with this rear demister rapair kit. I was a bit skeptical, but it worked. i cant remember the name of it, but it was in a blue and silver pack with an orange logo. this was about 4 years ago now, so im not sure if they still sell it. but worth a try.
the paint stuff is intended to paint and repair the broken tracks on the window itself. but it made a good connection where i had to glue it back on.
hope that helps.
long reply for a short answer :hihi:
TICK4D-TAS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post