Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 07-03-2006, 01:29 PM   #1
Simmo
White Lightning

Default headlights? gooooone!

well im now limited to the daytime until i fix this so i thought i'd throw up my problem as someone else might be in the same boat or was once before.

basically i've never had highbeams as they never worked since i bought the car. i replaced the combo switch thing behind the steering wheel and tried swapping the relays around to no avail. so i just dealt with it. last night however i was coming home around dusk and something felt odd. then i realised i had no headlights either. dash lights were on, no probs there but the headlights wouldnt come on and i know the bulbs are good.

anyone else seen this happen, esp on an ED XR6 with the quad setup? im hoping its just some relay or fusible link and not the loom or anything.

Simmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 05:29 PM   #2
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Have you checked to see where the 12v is or isn't getting to?
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 06:58 PM   #3
Rollin
Banned

which relays did you look at? obviously you checked the lights were plugged in correctly, and removed the bulbs and tested the out of the vehicle?

is the headlight switch on the dash plugged in correctly?

its unlikely to be a wiring fault...
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 07:06 PM   #4
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when both mine went at the same time it had something to do with the wiring closest to the bulb area .. it had melted slightly but couldnt be seen easily..........
the wiring was cut, re-done and then I had headlights again :

hope that sort of makes sense!!!!!!!!!!
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 07:19 PM   #5
Simmo
White Lightning

well the wiring is exposed a bit on both headlights. not frayed or lacking thickness or anything. and theres nothing for it to short on. just checked the bulbs and 1 has blown, the other is fine.
Simmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 07:24 PM   #6
DentEd XR8

Check the circuit breaker aswell dude, sorta had the same problem when I first got my car, the high beams would intermittantly not work and when they did they wouldn't stay on for more than 10sec and the circuit breaker would cut out and kill all the lights
Old 07-03-2006, 07:45 PM   #7
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmo
well the wiring is exposed a bit on both headlights. not frayed or lacking thickness or anything. and theres nothing for it to short on. just checked the bulbs and 1 has blown, the other is fine.
For what it's worth, all of my experience with these headlights (& this problem) usually points to a short within the (outer) low beam ***'y. Sometimes the loom gets pinched & provides direct contact to the headlight (metal) body, which will not always blow a fuse. Have a good look around that area.