Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 09-03-2006, 12:00 AM   #1
Lumpen Proletariat

Default EB V8 Manual Pedal Woes...

Hi All,

I believe this is pretty standard fare for those that know?I know I got told about it but I think I was so excited I got it i just didnt notice the difference in the feel of the clutch.

Anyway the Pedal Box (Clutch Pivot?) is buggered on the EBI XR8 I just picked up. The clutch pedal has started to go skewiff on me. The pedal is not straight and it's getting harder to get in and out of gear?

The area around there has been welded but it's starting to crack again. This one is beyond repair. (It's not the firewall, its where the clutch hangs off the pedal box?)

Talking to the mechanic he said that if I went second hand there is every possibility that it will be near failing again though he could brace it up. I was thinking of biting the bullet and getting a new one and getting that strengthened before it goes in.

What price am I looking at for the actual pedal box? One quote from Ford in Grafton was $320 odd and a mate in Canberra dealership said just over $200. Is that about right?

This is about the only thing holding me back from really enjoying my new car.

Your Help/Ideas would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Brendan

Dad: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint: Polynesian Green. Auto. Full Exhaust. Chiptorque Chip. 155.4rwkw.

Happy Dealings with: FordFan86 and Matt_971
Lumpen Proletariat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 12:20 AM   #2
NZ
~~~

It wouldnt surprise me that those prices are for new. Done properly a 2nd hand one can be repaired and last the life of the car. The harder to get in and out of gear is because the broken pin is effectivly putting the clutch out of adjustment.

I'll just put some pics ow what was done to mine to stop the firewall probs
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 12:28 AM   #3
NZ
~~~

the bracing presses against the firewall from the cabin side which stops the firewall itself taking the weight of the clutch. the hole was filed so the tube that the cable comes through fits pefectly through the bracing

Behind the pin we welded the bracket to the side of the pedle box. what happens is the bracket is only spot welded and when the fail its because the tearing starts at the spot welds. that pedle box did 100,000km of fairly hard work and when it came back out it has no signs of failing. if you come across a manual ef/el pedle box I'd do a plain swap if your interested.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:02 PM   #4
Lumpen Proletariat

Cheers for that mate.

Looks like thats what I'll have to do to it.

You're not interested in just selling that one thats been braced are you? I dont think I'll be coming across an EF/EL one anytime soon.

Cheers,
Brendan

Dad: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint: Polynesian Green. Auto. Full Exhaust. Chiptorque Chip. 155.4rwkw.

Old 09-03-2006, 01:26 PM   #5
DentEd XR8

So the EF/EL ones are reinforced?
Old 09-03-2006, 01:51 PM   #6
NZ
~~~

no they are near identical to eb/ed. they have a different mount for the dash and something else i cant recall now. oh and they arent painted in ef/el

LP I might hang onto this one. You should just fix up the one you have. It could be done in a day if you ave a welder and are a confident welder. Not shown on that either is the small piece we had to cut out of the bracing to clear the pedle movment
Old 09-03-2006, 02:49 PM   #7
Jim5_0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I got the pedal box in my first EB2 replaced in 1995 it cost $120 for the box & $400 labour.

When I removed & welded the pedal box up in my current EB2 I fount it to be an absolute b i t c h of a job & the current box was made in 1996. Then I had to plate the firewall a couple of months later.

Ford did a monumentally crap job of designing this particular part of the car.
Jim5_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 03:08 PM   #8
Lumpen Proletariat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ
You should just fix up the one you have. It could be done in a day if you ave a welder and are a confident welder. Not shown on that either is the small piece we had to cut out of the bracing to clear the pedle movment
Well...I'm not much of a mechanicy, hands on type of guy...First day of woodwork I sliced my finger open with a chisel and the Metalwork teacher was entirely happy I that I didnt really want to participate in his class :

The mechanic who checked it out for me (first time in for a check up) said it's been rewelded once already and now it's cracking on either side of those welds :jab: I rang around to about 6 wreckers in the area (im in the booonies) and none had any at all.

Looks like I might have to save up and get a new one and get that re-enforced like a mofo to start with. Do people think that $200 is a fair price ex ford? I might try some bigger, national wreckers too...such as FTG.

NZ, you wouldn't happen to have any other photos? CloseUp's and what have you?You helps been much appreciated.

Cheers,
Lumpy

Old 09-03-2006, 03:24 PM   #9
NZ
~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpen Proletariat
Well...I'm not much of a mechanicy, hands on type of guy...First day of woodwork I sliced my finger open with a chisel and the Metalwork teacher was entirely happy I that I didnt really want to participate in his class :

The mechanic who checked it out for me (first time in for a check up) said it's been rewelded once already and now it's cracking on either side of those welds :jab: I rang around to about 6 wreckers in the area (im in the booonies) and none had any at all.

Looks like I might have to save up and get a new one and get that re-enforced like a mofo to start with. Do people think that $200 is a fair price ex ford? I might try some bigger, national wreckers too...such as FTG.

NZ, you wouldn't happen to have any other photos? CloseUp's and what have you?You helps been much appreciated.

Cheers,
Lumpy
I've got some more I'll put them up tonight
Old 09-03-2006, 03:37 PM   #10
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

hmm so this is a common thing? Lumpy told me about it in some PM's. Im having a look a a s1 EB XR8 manual tomorrow so ill have to look out for it.

SO its just the pedal on a bit of an angle so it makes it hard to change gears? Is there anyway I can check if its been modded?

And is this only isolated to V8's? I dont have nay such problem in my car now.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 03:39 PM   #11
NZ
~~~

Have a look at the firewall - if it looks factory it hasnt been done / hasnt had a prob.

And yes the pedle will skew if the pin has started to tear off the pedle box. Its a probem in all manual e-series cars.

Its like this.

A 6cyl will do a headgasket before the end of its life.

A manual eseries will have pedle box / firewall probs before the end of its life.

Sux to have a 6cyl manual then dun it!
Old 09-03-2006, 03:42 PM   #12
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

^^hahaha hence the upgrade then karl

Thanks for the advice.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 09-03-2006, 03:46 PM   #13
gozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpen Proletariat
Hi All,

I believe this is pretty standard fare for those that know?I know I got told about it but I think I was so excited I got it i just didnt notice the difference in the feel of the clutch.

Anyway the Pedal Box (Clutch Pivot?) is buggered on the EBI XR8 I just picked up. The clutch pedal has started to go skewiff on me. The pedal is not straight and it's getting harder to get in and out of gear?

The area around there has been welded but it's starting to crack again. This one is beyond repair. (It's not the firewall, its where the clutch hangs off the pedal box?)

Talking to the mechanic he said that if I went second hand there is every possibility that it will be near failing again though he could brace it up. I was thinking of biting the bullet and getting a new one and getting that strengthened before it goes in.

What price am I looking at for the actual pedal box? One quote from Ford in Grafton was $320 odd and a mate in Canberra dealership said just over $200. Is that about right?

This is about the only thing holding me back from really enjoying my new car.

Your Help/Ideas would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Brendan

i used to live in grafton
yay
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 06:49 PM   #14
DentEd XR8

Damnit my pedal is skewed, I'll just forget about it until I can be stuffed to have a look down there
Old 10-03-2006, 10:53 PM   #15
Lumpen Proletariat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ
I've got some more I'll put them up tonight
Hey NZ,

Any luck with finding those other photo's?

This is getting annoying now. Luckily I'm kind of proficient at rev matching..though that could end badly :gren:

Lumpy :evil_laug

Old 11-03-2006, 08:55 AM   #16
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

The only hard bit of this job is taking the damn thing out and putting it back in again.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:06 AM   #17
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

well I am offically PI.S.SED OFF!

had a look at a pretty nice eb xr8..and guess bloody what...weird ИИИИ clutch pedal! The clutch on my is 100 times better....so Im still looking.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 11-03-2006, 11:12 PM   #18
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My EB XR8 did the same thing, was $230 from Ford but ended up getting one for $100 from the wreckers and put that in. Was a fair job getting it in and out too. Bloody good design putting the air ducting in from the back of the dash right in front of the peddle box