Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 14-02-2006, 06:09 PM   #91
evlelf
Banned

OK, i think its time to clear a lot up. Saying that it was all standard was definatly a mistake. But the components that i listed that ARE standard, ARE all std. Other upgrades everywhere else are most definatly in place and that is why im arguing that this engine will last.

Mods it HAS:
High flow walbro fuel pump,
RIsing rate Reg,
Retracted spark plugs with a 8 heat range,
Head ported and polished,
Decomped via chambers being ground out,
AU head gasket (decomps a small amount also)

I cant think of anything else at the moment, My point was with this whole thread, that you can infact cheaply turbo your EA-ED and get good results without spending thousands on aftermarket ECU and tuning. This setup is yet to be run on a dyno, But i can assure you i drive it every day to its limit and theres been no hint of any failures anywhere in the car...

They CAN take it, im not saying that yours will.. im not saying to do what i've done, mine worked, yours might go bang. But for all you who were wondering, i've roughly 4.5k on the turbo setup, installation, headwork, and getting into calder and laughing at a lot of vl turbo's. There's two things i can see going bang if something possibly breaks, one is the trans, and two is the bottom end. I've had so much fun with it so far, and i would not be disappointed if the bottom end failed at this stage. Its cheap to replace and if i get another 6 months out of one, i would do it every 6 months.
evlelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2006, 06:16 PM   #92
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

atleast you have come clean ELf.... I wasn't overtly bothered by your initial claim as exhuberation on the time you nailed was clearly foremost on your mind.. Well done on the time mate and for clearing up the 'std' claims for the sake of all the other boosted e'series cars in the works

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2006, 06:19 PM   #93
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by evlelf
AU head gasket (decomps a small amount also)
AU head gaskets are thinner. i.e. they raise the compression a small amount.
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2006, 06:24 PM   #94
evlelf
Banned

I was told they were thicker, therefore lowering the compression a small amount
Old 14-02-2006, 06:37 PM   #95
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quoting JMM:

"The (Ford AU MLS gasket) gasket thickness is .025" compared to most which are .060" this raises the compression about .3 in most cases...ie 9.35 to 9.65."
Old 14-02-2006, 06:42 PM   #96
evlelf
Banned

well there you go, You tell me why its not detonating, fkucked if i know
Old 14-02-2006, 06:45 PM   #97
EFFalcon
Last warning

how much has been taken out of the chambers?
also, did you ever advance the dizzy?
a few degrees can make a hell of a difference
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2006, 06:47 PM   #98
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by evlelf
well there you go, You tell me why its not detonating, fkucked if i know
Me neither, I would have thought it would be pinging its head off on boost. Have you checked the spark plugs - it might be pinging and you just cant hear it.

Cant be too bad though if people have been doing it for as long as they say they have.

BTW: Tuning doesnt have to cost 1000's. I talked to chiptorque and they said they had a program ready to go for 7lb boost. For $600 its not a bad option. I payed $500 for my ecu and tuned it myself. Definately not for everyone (you have to build the thing yourself), but it is a hell of a cheap stand alone ecu.
Old 14-02-2006, 06:55 PM   #99
evlelf
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
how much has been taken out of the chambers?
also, did you ever advance the dizzy?
a few degrees can make a hell of a difference

Negative on the dizzy, it hasnt been touched thus far.

no idea on the chambers, i would have not a clue as to the compression right now. Everything's been a trial and error situation. So far trial continues, with no error in sight
Old 14-02-2006, 06:58 PM   #100
evlelf
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockstandard
Me neither, I would have thought it would be pinging its head off on boost. Have you checked the spark plugs - it might be pinging and you just cant hear it.

Cant be too bad though if people have been doing it for as long as they say they have.

BTW: Tuning doesnt have to cost 1000's. I talked to chiptorque and they said they had a program ready to go for 7lb boost. For $600 its not a bad option. I payed $500 for my ecu and tuned it myself. Definately not for everyone (you have to build the thing yourself), but it is a hell of a cheap stand alone ecu.
It did detonate once, with mick malta in the car, but a lot of people looked at the condition of the pistions and the head, and no damage whatsoever was seen. That was a month or so ago, and since then, boost has been upped and no detonation... Spark plugs were changed, and other than being black with richness, were in perfect condition. I agree that tuning will be good for it, but to this point it runs perfect, so i wont spend the money
Old 14-02-2006, 07:06 PM   #101
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe it setup to run extreemly rich to stop detonation

Dyno with AFR would be interesting

Do you know what base pressure and ratio the reg is?
Old 18-02-2006, 07:50 PM   #102
snortingboost
XF Ghia. All snorted out

12:1 rising rate reg by vortec. This setup is perfect for his engine, with the 12:1 on there it's going to be running pretty rich for all situations on that boost level. I think that EF's are not as good for turbocharging due to the lesser flowing injectors and their higher compression ratio as compared to the previous e series.

Map sensor itself will notice another atmosphere (14.7 odd psi) in boost before it drops back in frequency, as for the computer though it's still a mystery to me how far into boost reference tables it travels. Seriously, a rising rate reg and a walbro pump isn't much of a modification, engine mods and fuel system mods would usually run into the thousands for most vehicles if turbocharged. My mate's gsr lancer has had plenty spent on aftermarket everything for almost every part of the car. It's still yet to actually drive for more than 170km before dropping its guts. I think 50K is close to the mark for which he has spent thus far, including 3 engines and two rebuilds on the latest fitment.
snortingboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2006, 08:28 AM   #103
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snortingboost
12:1 rising rate reg by vortec. This setup is perfect for his engine, with the 12:1 on there it's going to be running pretty rich for all situations on that boost level. I think that EF's are not as good for turbocharging due to the lesser flowing injectors and their higher compression ratio as compared to the previous e series.

Map sensor itself will notice another atmosphere (14.7 odd psi) in boost before it drops back in frequency, as for the computer though it's still a mystery to me how far into boost reference tables it travels. Seriously, a rising rate reg and a walbro pump isn't much of a modification, engine mods and fuel system mods would usually run into the thousands for most vehicles if turbocharged. My mate's gsr lancer has had plenty spent on aftermarket everything for almost every part of the car. It's still yet to actually drive for more than 170km before dropping its guts. I think 50K is close to the mark for which he has spent thus far, including 3 engines and two rebuilds on the latest fitment.
Im sorry, but i just gotta say it serves him right for chucking a snail on a chicks car...

Anyhow, I would have to agree that the EFs dont take boost as well as the earlier models, well with stock everything anyway. I have to run a 60psi idle fuel pressure to get it to run safely up high, but you know what thats gonna do when off boost....

On 6psi with the 2800 stall and 3 inch exhaust i would say i have a high 13 sec car(based on what ive beaten here and there).. But you can just feel that the tune is all out of whack, and it definately needs recalibrating of the whole rev range. So ems is more important than simply gaining a few kw
- XB Coupe Project
BOOSTDEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2006, 09:37 AM   #104
locknut

Not a bad car at all, the CC was hardly a chicks car, many successful rally wins - the toughest test on any car. 4G93T, was a factory turbo car.

I'd be changing workshops if 170km distance is the limit, there's your problem.
locknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 02:59 AM   #105
heckaz performance

Wouldn't an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and air fuel ratio meter be the go? How are some people running a 2:1 regulator and some running a 12:1? there is a huge difference. How can both of these provide usable air fuel ratios? An Autometer air fuel ratio meter fits nice where the clock used to be. Has anyone else checked air fuel ratios on the dyno with stock ecu and a turbo?
Good times, good mph, good enough for mid 12's. Must have a few Kw@wheels.
Inspirational for the back yard Turbo Fellas.
I Have GT42 (1.44 ex)to go on EF that has Bosch 044, and air fuel ratio meter, 3", chip (to be swapped for turbo program).
Were the times intercooled?
Go the Turbo E-Series Skyline Eaters
heckaz performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 02:00 PM   #106
Rollin
Banned

snortingboost - i pulled a "map sensor out of range" DTC out of my car the other day - what conditions are required to set that code? im tending to think it was set because 9psi gets thrown at it occasionally, which is more than the MAP sensor can handle...
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2006, 12:31 AM   #107
heckaz performance

:lookedat: I have just checked out some air fuel ratios for a stock ecu turbo ford and they were sweet at low boost with the 2:1 regulator + pump.
heckaz performance is offline   Reply With Quote