Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 12-03-2006, 09:17 PM   #1
volcom20
Ef Fairmont

Default Bought EF Fairmont, need help with mods

Alrighty, i got me a stocko EF Fairmont in good nick. And I have about 1000 dollars to blow right here and now. So, This is what I want to do

The gearbox feels a little funny, so I'm going to get it serviced (Best part of 300 dollars).

New oil all round (Prolly 90 bucks in the end, going to drain the diff and engine)

Ok, after that I know I've got running gear that'll last, and it'll let me know if there's any problems with the gearbox when I get it serviced. So with that 400 dollars out of the way, I wanna start doing some engine mods.

I was thinking GT Snorkle, K&N panel filter, and posably get some 3" stainless steel bent up from the airfilter box back to the intake. (instead of those plastic ones). Can someone give me a rough idea on the price of the snorkle and getting the tube bent up?

After that I have probably 300 left to do... something... lol. Any idea? Engine wise would be the idea...

Externally though, I'm thinking about getting a big Fairlane grill to put on it (Meh, 250 new? I might source from a wrecker), but the engine is more needy :P

I think I'll have another 600 to spend this friday, so with it I was thinking "pacemakers, and then saving for a exaust kit". Or something.

With a gt snorkle, pacemakers, K&N panel filter, and 2&1/2 exaust, will it make much of a differant to the power output? Or just make for a more responsive engine?

Cheers.

volcom20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 01:19 PM   #2
havoc19
Banned

im gonna go out on a limb and say make it more responsive but not increase power output by that much but im just a newbie to the game still so feel free to destroy my logic experts :
havoc19 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 02:30 PM   #3
HSVETAR
Bring on the lion...

Yea go a set of pacemaker xtractors, normal or comp, either way is good, and a 2.5 inch exhaust. probly cost the best lot of 600 bucks, depending on where you go.
El falcon, 4.0, XR6 camshaft, pacemaker extractors, 2.5 inch exhaust with tri flow sports muffler, AU TE50 intake, with K&N panel filter, Advanti racing Stalker 17" rims, Sitting on Ultra Low King Springs, 'Gabriel' Ultras Lowered struts, NOW MANUAL, 3.45 LSD

9.694 @ 75.38 MPH at Mildura Drag Strip 1/8 Mile

XC Falcon project car underway......
HSVETAR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 02:33 PM   #4
Felony
Wherever u go there u r

Extractors and exhaust...
Wade cam
Better valve springs
Lowered suspension
Cold air intake
the list goes on,
Cheers
Old 13-03-2006, 03:14 PM   #5
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would go in order - larger snorker, exhaust + extractors, cam then CAI.
FRDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 05:59 PM   #6
SeZZa
Sucker For Punishment

Congrats on buying a good model car. Have an EL myself and I can't wait to put my money down on it. S'gonna be hawt!

Be sure to keep us posted with photos.
SeZZa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 06:25 PM   #7
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

would strongly recomend a crow cam
and extractors
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
eb91xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 07:50 PM   #8
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

This is just my opinion, but I really think Fairlane grilles spoil the look rather than enhance it. If it were my hard earned, I would probably look into lowering the car. If you do it yourself, it won't cost you any more than $250.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2006, 01:46 PM   #9
volcom20
Ef Fairmont

Thanks for the opinions

About lowering the car, I still only have the stock fairmont rims, and they probably wont be changed for the best part of 12 months :P So would lowering it still have a nice effect on the caR? Or should I just wait till I get rims? And I have the facilities to do it myself (I have a mech friend, plus the old man)

Also, when it comes to air filters, I walked into AutoBahn (looking for a wire harness adaptor for my new CD player) and they had K&N pod filters for 140 dollars. So I was thinking "A pod would end up cheaper than a panel filter", because I'd have to buy the panel filter, and then the GT Snorkle... But with a pod, I can just take out the air box and put the pod there. Right?

I was thinking about the fairlane grill just because the EF grill is so plain, the ELs atleast have some chrome on them :P

But anyway, my air con computer's buttons seem to be hard to use/wrecked. So I have to order the new air con computer (a non-genuine one) for 300 dollars! :'( I'm going to ring around the wreckers and see if they have an EL one for cheap, but we'll see how it goes.

Will I notice any differance in throttle responce with a K&N pod filter? Or not at all? Cheers.
volcom20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2006, 01:53 PM   #10
sven

gotta say i'd go the panel over the pod. just my opinion. i think it was $109 for a K&N hi-flow panel filter from supercheap. also the best initial mods you can do is exhaust/extractors + lowering. if you got the facilities DUMP YOUR CAR!!
Old 14-03-2006, 01:53 PM   #11
neb
hibernating

i would service your car properly before doing any mods if it hasn't been done already... new spark plugs, ignition leads, fuel filter, oil change, oil filter, air filter... then do the usual mods like air intake, exhaust, extractors, lowering, cam
neb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post