Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: ZF or manual? - your opinion
Yes, go the ZF! 51 52.58%
Nah, stick to the manual mate 40 41.24%
Either box, I'll give a reason of course! 6 6.19%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-03-2006, 03:19 AM   #1
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Default Honest opinion - V8 ZF v V8 Manual

Hi guys, I just want to get some feedback on a future purchase. Please, if I may ask, can those WITH experience please participate in this thread.

I want to know those who have driven a Falcon/Fairmont?Fairlane V8 with the new ZF 6 speed and what their opinions are compared with their experience with manuals, be it 5 or 6 speed preferlaby in a Falcon V8. I'm a manual sort of a bloke but if I can pick up a cheap BF ex chaser than I will if the box is anything that people talk about.
Thanks ban...

Last edited by banarcus; 12-03-2006 at 03:22 AM. Reason: clear it up a bit
banarcus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2006, 04:21 AM   #2
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

The ZF, with a gear box like that why would you want a manual these days. Quicker gear changes & you can change gears like a manual. The only down side i can see is the cost of servicing or repairing one.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:11 AM   #3
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the ZF i reckon will get u quicker times quarter mile too
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 255/35/19 - 275/35/19
Shockworks Coilovers
PITLANE AUTOMOTIVE & PERFORMANCE
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2006, 12:11 PM   #4
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Manual as good as the ZF sounds i like to drive a car not just steer it, if i lived in the city i would consider the ZF but living in a more rural area i have no reason not to drive a manual.

Good that the choice of a decent Auto box is there though!
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2006, 12:11 PM   #5
smally289
growing up is optional

Only thing that worries me is the auto shifter. I have a B&M Pro Ratchet in my XY and the up and downshift directions are opposite to the BA shifter. I would have to buy a manual one to avoid shifting up instead of down in either car!
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2006, 12:20 PM   #6
Lagom

The ZF isn't much more, it's better to live with day into day and if you're driving hard, its logic on a twisty road is really good.

Personally, I find the manual pretty heavy and clunky, not that great a box.
Lagom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2006, 02:14 PM   #7
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

I say each to there own, do you want a manual or auto?

Both boxes are brilliant, I love my manual with, the rip shift, and I drive mostly city.

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2006, 05:24 PM   #8
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Have driven the 6sp auto also the 5sp and 6sp manual. Had the 6sp auto in a fairlane and XR8 and I wasn't that impressed, it's a smooth ride but bored the crap out of me driving an auto. The 5sp manual is my ride and is ok but my pick is the 6sp manual. Love to drive the XR8's at work and it's so much fun. I have a choice between the XR8A and the XR8M and I always go the manual.
The auto probably is quicker but the manual is more fun. I guess it's a preference to what you like to drive and what you want to do.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2006, 05:33 PM   #9
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Haven't got an 8, got an xr6 with the ZF, driven manual BA's and 4 & 6 speed auto's, i'd choose the zf any day. I was raised with manuals and i love them, but i do too much city driving these days to be bothered with one. I'd rather be stuck in peak hour for half an hour with an auto than a manual. The zf is a very intelligent box, quick shifting, shifts back through the gears when braking, doesn't change down if you're off the throttle going down a hill (it senses gradient, wheel speed, steering wheel direction, braking force etc). Even when i came back from Euroa today i was cruising along at 110 in 6th on cruise control on the hume, when it goes up a steep hill then down the other side it will shift back to 5th for a bit of engine braking then back into 6th (remember this is all on cruise control). It's a HUGELY better box than the old 4 speed auto, and far more seemless than the clunky manual on offer. Personal opinion, it's not a perfect box, still can be a little sharp and sloppy sometimes if you confuse it, but i'd pick it over anything else.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2006, 05:45 PM   #10
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

I haven’t driven the ZF Auto but I have driven a manual BF Super Pursuit. The shifts are smooth but can be clunky (mainly to do with the driver and throttle position aka driveline slack) Just do what a certain AFF member did and have a manual and a auto! With the new technology of these ZF's the only thing missing is the pedal itself
Old 12-03-2006, 09:10 PM   #11
Steffo
LPG > You

I voted either box, here's why...

We're talking ZF 6HP26 6-speed tiptronic automatic vs Tremec T56 6-speed manual...

Now, without question, the ZF is the completley superior transmission. The car performs better in all aspects of motoring, uses less petrol etc etc. Clearly if all-out performance is what you want, go the ZF.

The manual however... there are people who enjoy driving manuals, above all else. I know several myself. Now while their logic boggles the mind, it is their preference. If you truley prefer to drive a car with a clutch pedal and a H pattern, get the manual. If not, buy the auto.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2006, 09:38 PM   #12
Jeld-Wen Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why not head down to the local dealer and test drive a car and see for yourself? You can get opinions and all that, but it may not suit you.
Jeld-Wen Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 11:04 AM   #13
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

ZF definately quicker times quarter but gotta love the a manual!!

Become an E-Series Owners Club Member Today!
http://eseries.com.au/index.php/membership/
snypereb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 12:22 PM   #14
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snypereb
ZF definately quicker times quarter but gotta love the a manual!!
I am unsure about that. I have a manual BF Typhoon and if you nail the start and gear changes, I think a manual would be quicker, BUT, the auto will be consistant everytime. I have not owned my car a month yet, and still bogging it down on occassions, where you would not do such a thing with the auto.

Now to, I am talking about a six Turbo. V8 is definitely different.

Please banarcus, try and drive both before you make your decision. My experiences in a BF GT auto is the ratio's are not suited for fast 0-100, quarters. The 1-2 change does not hit the engine sweet spot, but the manual does.

Its a tough decision what transmission, but in the scheme of thing, you would not be unhappy with either. Ford must have the best transmission combo's going around.
Old 13-03-2006, 01:10 PM   #15
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADSGTP
I am unsure about that. I have a manual BF Typhoon and if you nail the start and gear changes, I think a manual would be quicker, BUT, the auto will be consistant everytime. I have not owned my car a month yet, and still bogging it down on occassions, where you would not do such a thing with the auto.

Now to, I am talking about a six Turbo. V8 is definitely different.

Please banarcus, try and drive both before you make your decision. My experiences in a BF GT auto is the ratio's are not suited for fast 0-100, quarters. The 1-2 change does not hit the engine sweet spot, but the manual does.

Its a tough decision what transmission, but in the scheme of thing, you would not be unhappy with either. Ford must have the best transmission combo's going around.
Agreed. The ZF (performance wise) isn't as sweet as the manual. The manual ratios are a better match the the Boss characteristics. As to consistancy, practice makes perfect.... :eclipsee_

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Des is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 01:33 PM   #16
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
The car performs better in all aspects of motoring, uses less petrol etc etc. Clearly if all-out performance is what you want, go the ZF.
You might want to check that. Auto's are a less efficient gearbox when compared to a manual, even though they are getting close. Torque convertor vs clutch. Also, check out the PCOTY results re: Winton lap times and acceleration times for the XR6T twins, no they're not V8's, but using the exact same boxes as the XR8, will give a viable comparison.

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:

Old 14-03-2006, 09:51 AM   #17
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des
You might want to check that. Auto's are a less efficient gearbox when compared to a manual, even though they are getting close.
Hey Des, not wanting to be a smartar$e, but perhaps you should check. According to the FPV printed material, the ADR fuel consumption for the F6 is less with the auto box than the manual.

Although I must say, first time ever I have seen that.

I think it has alot to do with the six gear. The auto does 1600rpm at 100km/h, the manual is around the 1900rpm mark.
Old 14-03-2006, 10:59 AM   #18
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADSGTP
Hey Des, not wanting to be a smartar$e, but perhaps you should check. According to the FPV printed material, the ADR fuel consumption for the F6 is less with the auto box than the manual.

Although I must say, first time ever I have seen that.

I think it has alot to do with the six gear. The auto does 1600rpm at 100km/h, the manual is around the 1900rpm mark.
Thanks, and no problem, I'll always accept it if it's proven I've made an error. I checked out the Ford site yesterday and all I could find was the fuel figures for the auto's. My BA is a series one, so being a 3650 not a T-56 will be different, but the ADR fuel figure was better than quoted for the BF XR8. I think it was 12.8, BF is 13.7?

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:

Old 14-03-2006, 02:23 PM   #19
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Look to be perfectly honest, I'm a manual man but in the future(sooner rather than later I hope) a XR8 is on the cards. My work mates drive XR8s with the ZF and they say its a great box, so much better than the old 4 speed. Well for me, the old 4 speed was not good in that I didn't like 2nd gear as it wasn't punchy enough. However, I was tossing up the idea of getting an ex chaser BF at the auctions rather than going for a more expensive dealer/private XR8 with the manual. 5 or 6 speed, it wouldn't bother me, but obviously the 6 speed would be better for resale so lets see.

I guess I'll be visiting a dealer soon and find out for myself.
Old 14-03-2006, 02:34 PM   #20
big_waity
Windsor Man!

I gather ZF is the 6 speed auto in the BF? In which case, GO THE ZF!!!

Last edited by big_waity; 14-03-2006 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Chuck Noris would have chosen the ZF!
big_waity is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 05:42 PM   #21
gtfpv
GT

the autos in the bf v8's arent pulling promised times according to MOTOR MAG . BUT i would say a manual BF TYPHOON would have no chance against an auto TYPHOON . serious sprints though i wouls take the auto 6. especially if you go non stock . reason i cant drive my gt as fast as it can go with a manual it is just to powerful and revs quickly the auto would do the whole job for me.but i chose manual because of poitive drive . if that makes sense.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 06:30 PM   #22
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by banarcus
Look to be perfectly honest, I'm a manual man but in the future(sooner rather than later I hope) a XR8 is on the cards. My work mates drive XR8s with the ZF and they say its a great box, so much better than the old 4 speed. Well for me, the old 4 speed was not good in that I didn't like 2nd gear as it wasn't punchy enough. However, I was tossing up the idea of getting an ex chaser BF at the auctions rather than going for a more expensive dealer/private XR8 with the manual. 5 or 6 speed, it wouldn't bother me, but obviously the 6 speed would be better for resale so lets see.

I guess I'll be visiting a dealer soon and find out for myself.
Get a 2nd hand BA XR8 With a manual, it will keep up quite well with your mates XR8's with the ZF :king:
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 09:52 PM   #23
Jock260
Cast Iron fan

manuals will always give you the real racing feel, auto's require no skill at all, maunals require skill precission timing and balls, dont get me rong i love the zf its bloody great, but the manual will always be king
Jock260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post