Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 23-03-2006, 12:27 AM   #1
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Post Buying an EA-ED Information!!

All the info you need when buying anything EA-EB!!!!

THE GOOD BITS

The base model was the GL. Above it was the S, Fairmont and Fairmont Ghia, with the Fairlane and LTD topping the tree. Of course the further up the ladder you cliimbed the more standard equipment you recieved- electric windows, rear seat head rests, better sound, better trim, air-con and semi electir instruments in the Ghia.
The EA falcon had a 60/40 split fold rear seat and a big boot which makes for easy carrying of sufboards, snowboards etc. One minor problem was the spare under the boot floor; older falcons had there spare mounted upright making it easier to get to when your road tripping and you get a puncture.
All through the EB-EB series, ford inproved the quality and safety and it all coming to a peak in the ED. Most of the improvments couldnt be seen such as better welds, a stiffer body shell with foam filled pillars and much higher build quality. Better seats belts and safety options like ABS too.
ENGINE/MECHANICAL
The base falcon GL carried a 90kw 3.2L 6 with single point injection. A bigger 3.9L was next up the ladder it had a more respectable 120kw but the only one worth owning was the 3.9L multi point.
The manual was a T5 five speed and the auto a three speed that sucked the life out of the new OHC engine. The four speed auto should have been released in the EA in 1988, but buyers had to wait 18 months until EA2 for its debut.
The diff swung from a watts link and coil springs. All new front suspension used a long spindle on upper and lower control arms and rack and pinion steering. It should have been sensational but wasnt.
In mid 1991 with the EB update model, a V8 option was re-introduced. The new engine was an EFI 5.0L Windsor imported from the US where it was used in the mustang at 165kw like the sixes by then it had a four speed auto or a 5 speed manual gearbox behind it.
Later with the EB2 update in 1992 the XR6 and XR8 models were released. The XR8 was an S model fitted with the 165kw V8. The XR6 was more significant as it was a tweaked version of the better multi point injected 4.0L. On top of the 4.0L better engine internals the XR6 had an inhanced head, cam and management system to deliver 161kw versus the 4.0L 149kw. It really made a difference the XR6 was even quicker than the XR8. Both XRs were produced by tickford with lower stiffer suspension for better handling ad the availibility of ABS inthe EB2.

THE BAD BITS
Never by the first of a new model. The EA was the best example for that!! The problems included non existant dampers, out of whack front suspension, droopy steering colomns, unreliable EFI and crook paint. Ripples in doors are a big problem two vertical creases below the door handles and blochy black plastic the faded very quick. Later models had better stamped door skins and quality door handles. There is even a rumour that ford fitted special tyres on the EA falcon the prevent it pulling to the left when new! The EA was designed with no adjustment in the front end and it took a while for the shim adjustable suspension to arrive to fix the pull.
The sixes are very abuse tolerant, but valve gear can suffer. The EAs old 3 speed is a dog. So in othe rwords dont by the EA sorry all EA owners who read this.
Fords have very durable cloth trim but steering wheels car look shabby and shiny after years of rubbing. Leather can crack and abrade if it isnt fed annually. Windscreen leaks and other niggling problems are rare, except on ex taxi's that have a squillion k's. Kepp in mind that uncaring owners have untidy cars and its difficult to hide years of abuse.

WHAT DO YOU PAY

Forget everything but a 93-94 ED from this group maybe and EB2 at a pinch and e prepared to pay around 4k for a good one. If you want a nice, low kay. XR6 or XR8 expect to spend 6-8k. Run a mile from any thing ex taxi on LPG or less than 3k. Unless its your pops car and he has had it since new its not worth being a tight a##e for!!!!

Hope this helps anyone on here looking at buying anything EA-ED.

SnyperEB

Become an E-Series Owners Club Member Today!
http://eseries.com.au/index.php/membership/
snypereb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006, 09:39 AM   #2
Dezza
Parts bin special

Just note that an EAII is a far better car than an EAI with the shim adjustable suspension and 4 speed auto. In fact, mechanically an EAII is more like an EB than an EAI

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006, 10:18 AM   #3
NZ
~~~

I've read that somewhere else on the net :p

"the man that crashs AFF"
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006, 10:50 AM   #4
leathal_weapon8
TUF-ENUF

ok put it this way, Ford Aust had probs wid the early E-series bcoz the had the VN-VP-VR to deal wid at the time, also Holden were always offering expansive fleet deals hence why more earlier commodres sold I am a dedicated Ford fan I own a EB 2 S pack, unfortunately it was produced in the time of Xr6 but didn't come out as an Xr6, i have had many probs bcoz i bought it frm a dodgy dealer and so far i have noticed some many probs yet i like driving it bcoz i feel they r far more superior in comfort, ride handle, and just overall performance, I have driven the falcon and commodore and believe me i cannot stand the commodore my mate owns a VP S pack and we found the old wheels comparo n we even ran our own even though both our cars have far more kms on the clock they were both original n came to the same conclusion as wheels did the commodore is built to speed and the falcon is jus a relaxed laid back kind of car, kids nowadays are buying commodores and jus ending up with defects and police attention where as kids with falcons they get some cop attention but otherwise a majority of the time cops ar chasing the "commodore kids"
In Adelaide the ratio of P plater commodore owners towards p plater falcon owners is larger itz the same as wogs they all worked at holdens so they own holdens, i am wog but i won a ford so i am the odd on in the family bocoz my old man works at holdens n every1 else r holden drivers bar me so i say go ford, lol but back on course if ne1 needs to knw some 4.0 facts plz pm me as i have spent some much time n effort fixin myne
leathal_weapon8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006, 11:17 AM   #5
niko
likes falcon's

my ea 3speed ghia was a treat to drive. 3speed got abit borring

my last ea was a quik 5speed mokup ghia, not bad comfort wise

my current car is soooooooooooo smooooooth, *drewls* i miss the ed ghia bukets but cant complain with how comfy this thing is with velour seats, really quiet to with these thicker windows. dont know if my regs will like more window to push up but ahwell
Old 23-03-2006, 12:27 PM   #6
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by leathal_weapon8
ok put it this way, Ford Aust had probs wid the early E-series bcoz the had the VN-VP-VR to deal wid at the time, also Holden were always offering expansive fleet deals hence why more earlier commodres sold I am a dedicated Ford fan I own a EB 2 S pack, unfortunately it was produced in the time of Xr6 but didn't come out as an Xr6, i have had many probs bcoz i bought it frm a dodgy dealer and so far i have noticed some many probs yet i like driving it bcoz i feel they r far more superior in comfort, ride handle, and just overall performance, I have driven the falcon and commodore and believe me i cannot stand the commodore my mate owns a VP S pack and we found the old wheels comparo n we even ran our own even though both our cars have far more kms on the clock they were both original n came to the same conclusion as wheels did the commodore is built to speed and the falcon is jus a relaxed laid back kind of car, kids nowadays are buying commodores and jus ending up with defects and police attention where as kids with falcons they get some cop attention but otherwise a majority of the time cops ar chasing the "commodore kids"
In Adelaide the ratio of P plater commodore owners towards p plater falcon owners is larger itz the same as wogs they all worked at holdens so they own holdens, i am wog but i won a ford so i am the odd on in the family bocoz my old man works at holdens n every1 else r holden drivers bar me so i say go ford, lol but back on course if ne1 needs to knw some 4.0 facts plz pm me as i have spent some much time n effort fixin myne
In English please?

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006, 10:33 PM   #7
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Thanks for the input guys wasnt expecting any posts in it just there for people to read when upgradeing or buying there first e-series!!

Old 23-03-2006, 10:37 PM   #8
InitialD
Low and Loud

You know the Eseries ownersclub has all this information allready.

Quote:
The EA was the best example for that!! The problems included non existant dampers, out of whack front suspension, droopy steering colomns, unreliable EFI and crook paint. Ripples in doors are a big problem two vertical creases below the door handles and blochy black plastic the faded very quick. Later models had better stamped door skins and quality door handles. There is even a rumour that ford fitted special tyres on the EA falcon the prevent it pulling to the left when new!
Umm ok

Unreliable EFI? Do tell.. Since your EB1 has the IDENTICAL EFI to a EA
Quote:
The EA was designed with no adjustment in the front end and it took a while for the shim adjustable suspension to arrive to fix the pull.
EA to ED didnt get shims from factory unless it was a XR and even then they just did one side. Thus why many people buy shim kits?

Special Tyres? bwahahahha yeah ok sure
Ripples in doorskins were on NA's

1993 Ford Falcon XR6 Poly Green Stationwagon - 4.0 I6, Auto, 3:45LSD, All the usual XR6 Stuff but in a wagon :
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006, 11:32 PM   #9
snypereb
[EBGLT]

I got all this info from another source mick dont blame me! lol! Thought it may be able to help some people out!!!!

Old 24-03-2006, 12:09 AM   #10
-jjM-
Banned

http://www.deleted link/portal/kb.php?mode=cat&cat=1
-jjM- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2006, 12:20 AM   #11
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Never realesed that was there joe whoops!!!

Old 24-03-2006, 12:22 AM   #12
InitialD
Low and Loud

Quote:
Originally Posted by snypereb
Never realesed that was there joe whoops!!!
So thats joe's last name!

1993 Ford Falcon XR6 Poly Green Stationwagon - 4.0 I6, Auto, 3:45LSD, All the usual XR6 Stuff but in a wagon :
Old 24-03-2006, 12:25 AM   #13
-jjM-
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by InitialD
So thats joe's last name!
whos this joe whoops fello?, sounds like a tuff one
Old 24-03-2006, 12:35 AM   #14
InitialD
Low and Loud

Quote:
Originally Posted by -jjM-
whos this joe, sounds like a tuff one
Yeah this is the only pic I have of him, looks a little shifty to me :evil_laug
Attached Images
File Type: gif AyeMates.gif (25.6 KB, 38 views)

Old 24-03-2006, 12:40 AM   #15
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Joe Whoops funny character that one wouldnt say tuff though a little soft id say!!!

Old 24-03-2006, 12:42 AM   #16
-jjM-
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by InitialD
Yeah this is the only pic I have of him, looks a little shifty to me :evil_laug
aparently this is his brother

god was drunk that day :S

Quote:
Originally Posted by snypereb
Joe Whoops funny character that one wouldnt say tuff though a little soft id say!!!
coming from you LOL jk
Old 24-03-2006, 12:52 AM   #17
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Looks like a very drunk pic lol!

Have to be one of the funniest drunken pics i have ever seen!
Hey joe come down to the pool room tomorrow we are heading down there again?