Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 04-04-2006, 03:18 PM   #1
jonohall

Default warped rotors

hey all, i posted a few days back about problems with recurring warped rotors. I got one recommendation for dba brand discs to solve the problem (thanks for that). Before i go out and buy some id like to get an indicator of HOW MANY people have had a recurring problem like this and what they did to FIX IT (eg. changed to dba slotted rotors + bendix advance pads etc) and how well it WORKED?

my little ИИИ owns the car now and is not exactly rolling in cash so we wanna get it right first time - my girlfriends dad can fit them lol :P

cheers guys

PS since my last post my dad went out and bought a holden! and gave the EL to my little ИИИ. He got a VX Calais - nice drive but im still a ford man. My EL has had no such problems, couldnt be happier.

jonohall is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2006, 03:23 PM   #2
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

its not so much the rotors but how you treat them.. DBA are good but incorrect driving, bedding in proceedure and abuse will still warp them..

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2006, 03:34 PM   #3
jonohall

thanks that all makes sense. the thing is my EL does not have this problem and i drive harder than my dad did when he had his. and we have left all the work up to professionals thus far. it's been into the workshop three times - three different workshops (twice rotors were placed - 4 in total now) and the problem has returned within a short time, so i guess we just want to increase our chances of getting a long life out of the next batch of rotors which is why im asking.

Oh i asked about a possible cause of the fast deterioration last time - anyone else got any ideas? theres is still a clunky, knocking noise when the brake is applied coming from the rear. thanks again
Old 04-04-2006, 03:39 PM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I had the same problem in the rear of my EL, it turned out to be a wheel bearing.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2006, 03:49 PM   #5
jonohall

Default GreenEL

Hi GreenEL. your wheel bearing produced a knocking noise when you applied the brake? but did you have problems with rotors? would a wonky wheel or suspension cause a problem? sorry i dont really know what i'm talking about but i can relay it on to people who do.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:55 PM   #6
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

There was also a slightly warped rotor on the same wheel but it was more of a knocking noise that what you'd expect from a warped rotor. We took the wheel and rotor off and found that the axle wasn't running true, so we assumed a bent axle. Took the axle out and to a diff repair joint who faced it and replaced the bearing and that solved that problem. All I need to do now is get the rotor machined.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:09 PM   #7
Bass Crazy

I have the warped rotor syndrome(front).

I have driven this car for 6 years now, never had an issue. About a year ago, she began to shudder. Had the rotors machined, new bendix pads. Within a week, it was doing it again. I used the same bed in procedure I have been over the years. I normally cruise the car for the first week or two anyhow.

I then replaced the rotors with a brand new pair, and new pads. This time they lasted two weeks before the shuddering started again.

I then replaced the wheel bearings, havent had a chance to machine the rotors again.... still shuddering.

I reckon its the calipers causing the issue. Overhaul time.
Bass Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2006, 04:19 PM   #8
jonohall

BassCrazy. exact same problem with us!!. ours is not the only one lol. within two weeks it comes back for us. keep me posted on the overhaul job.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:23 PM   #9
jonohall

so if there is something causing it, i should probably not just go and get new rotors again.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:28 PM   #10
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonohall
so if there is something causing it, i should probably not just go and get new rotors again.
Probably better off to get to the bottom of the problem before you start spending money that you don't need to.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:29 AM   #11
Bass Crazy

As far as I know, there are 3 ways rotors can become uneven.

1. unbalanced, Faulty wheel bearing.
2. Grease/oil on rotor
3. excessive heat.

Basically I dont give my car enough punishment to get the rotors hot enough to warp.
However, if the brake calipers are not retracting the pads entirely, this would cause an issue. The extra friction may not actually heat the rotor up enough to warp, but may stop the rotor from cooling in between firm braking, which then warps the rotors.

Just my little theory. Ill let you know how it goes, but I wont be doing it for a little while, a little busy at the moment.
Bass Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2006, 10:18 AM   #12
Bipolar
I'm back. Same car.

My mate has been driving and servicing his/his dad's XD ($6995, Gold Dust, iron head, optioned with S Pack dash and Tbar/buckets) since new in August 1979. In the late 80's his dad got the rotors machined and within months they were warped again. He went to the wreckers and got a set of XE rotors and they're still in it now. He knows people who've had the same problem and swears by not getting rotors machined.

Probably not relevant to this thread, just a bit of trivia.
Bipolar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2006, 12:59 PM   #13
jonohall

thanks guys. calipers sticking, that is a good theory. when i was checking out how much pad was left. i noticed one of the calipers in the rear was a bit sticky without applying the brake - could hear it rubbing even after i flushed it out a bit. but the front is more affected by the warping
Old 05-04-2006, 01:01 PM   #14
jonohall

PerfectEL. can you think why he has had no dramas since? are some rotors just more durable?
Old 05-04-2006, 04:38 PM   #15
Bipolar
I'm back. Same car.

There is that, plus the fact they don't get punished, and everything else is kept absolutely perfect. This guy is really anal about having a mechanically immaculate car. Even the doors close like it's a 2006 model. He even carries a spare battery in the boot and swaps it over every 2 weeks to maintain charge so he never gets caught with a flat one, being the only problem he has been caught with.
Bipolar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2006, 05:12 PM   #16
jonohall

haha. im fussy about keeping my car clean etc and scratch free in the carpark (park next to poles - they can't move and hit you) but unfortunately i don't know enough to keep it mechanically immaculate - at the mercy of mechanics