Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 12-04-2006, 09:27 PM   #1
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Manual conversion, EF

Hi everyone, i just bought myself an EB 5spd box, with a clutch, pedal box, flywheel, and clutch cable. Im just wondering what else i need to complete it.

Will the standard auto computer run well with the manual gearbox? and will I be able to keep my cruise control? And also, are the tailshafts a different length?

If you are wondering, my gearbox just lost 3rd and 4th, and I'm tired off its horribly expensive problems that randomly happen to it. So far the box has cost me about $3100 in 25000km, so its going. That and it feels so much better driving a manual, and i can actually launch the thing.

Any advice?

thanks
Ben

BLSTIC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2006, 09:47 PM   #2
EDXR6T

tail shaft's not diffrent you use you'r orig one. plus have you got reverse light's and neutral loom for the manual if not you'l need it i think some ppl just make the loom up it's pritty simple

plus you got clutch fork and you'r manual will run with your auto ECU but not well e.g ruff idle but you can trick it in to thinking it's a manua; ecu got to bridge some pin's i think

do a search mate im sure you'l find all the info you'r after
EDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2006, 09:54 PM   #3
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah, the pic (on ebay) has something that looks like wiring on top of the gearbox. He has the whole car (EB Falcon Wagon) that he is stripping, so any niggling little parts that i need should be there.

Right now I'm not concerned about a rough idle, I'm more concerned about a moving car. Aftermarket management might come later (as thats the only thing left thats stopping me from boosting it, aside from oil lines and the like) anyway.

thanks
Ben

So the EB and EF gearboxes and bell housings are the same?
Old 12-04-2006, 10:04 PM   #4
EDXR6T

yer mate nothing changed in housing till AU onward's

but yer u should get away with you'r ECU for now im sure the idle will get to u tho but till the management system ay

good luck with it mate

i'l b joining the 5 speed club
one day:s
EDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2006, 10:30 PM   #5
Damo
Banned

the EB pedal box will need a slight modification to fit EF. If it's a full manual conversion the you will just need to buy a new spigot bearing.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2006, 01:07 PM   #6
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

spigot bearing... that the one that the clutch fork pushes on?

so what needs to be done to the pedal box? and also, is the centre console the same for the manuals? (ie can i just pop out the plastic that the auto stick goes through and put a boot in?)

I take it the car only idles rough? (ie it doesnt go into limp home mode for the engine, and possibly do long term damage if i thrash it)

thanks
Ben
Old 13-04-2006, 07:32 PM   #7
Damo
Banned

my EA runs 100% with auto computer, but it was 3 speed previously. The spigot bearing taps into the crank before you wack the flywheel on it's a small little bearing. The one that the clutch fork pushes is the thrus/throwout bearing, you usually get one of these in a clutch kit.

Spigot bearing should cost between $12-18.
Old 13-04-2006, 09:55 PM   #8
old_mate
Smash the Boost

What is the bit on the throwout arm that the clutch cable attaches to? Does this little thing come with a clutch cable when you buy a new one?

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 12:22 AM   #9
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLSTIC
Hi everyone, i just bought myself an EB 5spd box, with a clutch, pedal box, flywheel, and clutch cable. Im just wondering what else i need to complete it.

Will the standard auto computer run well with the manual gearbox? and will I be able to keep my cruise control? And also, are the tailshafts a different length?

If you are wondering, my gearbox just lost 3rd and 4th, and I'm tired off its horribly expensive problems that randomly happen to it. So far the box has cost me about $3100 in 25000km, so its going. That and it feels so much better driving a manual, and i can actually launch the thing.

Any advice?

thanks
Ben
Just out of interest BLSTIC, what did the the box etc cost. I need one for the EA I am doing up for the track.
Cheers,
Rich

Live, Love, RACE

SOLD: AU III XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
cars are to be driven, ornaments are to be looked at. the two should never be confused.
GTENVY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 12:33 AM   #10
EFFANATIC
Banned

5 speeds are 2 much fun ,Ill get 1 soon
Go 5speed no mateer how hard it is ,1 step at a time ull get there
EFFANATIC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 12:36 AM   #11
Damo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_mate
What is the bit on the throwout arm that the clutch cable attaches to? Does this little thing come with a clutch cable when you buy a new one?
I'm pretty sure it's called the clutch stove, and nah it won't come with a cable, you would have to get one from ford. I can get a picture of it if you need as i have one laying about.
Old 14-04-2006, 12:46 AM   #12
old_mate
Smash the Boost

Would be appreciated heaps

buying a semi complete conversion is starting to suck the big one

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 12:54 AM   #13
Damo
Banned

there isn't much to the kit.

Clutch (presure plate and clutch disk), t5, bellhousing, Clutch fork and thrust bearing, spigot bearing, clutch cable, clutch clevis and bushes, clutch stove, pedal box, presure plate bolts and that's it. You can re-use flywheel bolts, and sandwhich plate and everything else just bolt back to where it was!
Old 14-04-2006, 10:01 AM   #14
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GTENVY: the whole lot cost 365 off ebay, pretty cheap for the performance gain, especially considering what it would cost to pay someone to replace the clutch packs in the auto...

and also, is the crossmember on the gearbox the same for autos and manual?

thanks
Ben