Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-04-2006, 07:47 PM   #61
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Tempting lol no But normally yes as i have stuck some big hard time and effort into my car.

But i got a good plan i was almost about to buy a VY Commodore in January for $13,500. But i got talked out of it, So now i might buy a VT Berlina or VX Exec. Pay it off over 4-5 years and more then likely buy a VE if it's a good car and i like it. And if they are going cheap like Series 1 VY's. I wasn't crash hot on the VZ series at first i had to see it in the flesh first.
Old 24-04-2006, 08:46 PM   #62
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

forget the 6's get a gen 3
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2006, 08:49 PM   #63
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

or gen 4...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2006, 09:10 PM   #64
McobraR
me may my mo

or gen 5... :
McobraR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2006, 11:50 PM   #65
freaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citric XR6
You can't possibly be serious about those three points. I drive a few of them (VZs) at work and can tell you its not a rough motor at all. It sounds nothing like the Ecotec and it is not sluggish off the line at all - only Falcons with ridiculously tall first gears are!
Review 1

"In real-world driving, the SV6 manual is a disappointment. Below about 4000 rpm (the operating range where you do most driving), the SV6 is flexible but it never performs at anything more than a pedestrian level. The word “effortless” (which we’ve used to describe the rival Ford 4.0) simply does not apply here.

If you want to pull ahead of traffic, you are forced to take the 3.6 litre V6 engine to high revs. This wouldn’t be an issue if the engine was a sweet, willing revver – but it isn’t.

The engine has a gravelly roar and – in manual gearbox versions – high rpm vibration floods through the clutch and gear knob. "

Review 2

"At lower engine speeds, the Holden is fine (although it still sounds disturbingly similar to the old engine) but rev it hard and it loses some of its composure. It revs freely enough but with a fair degree of unpleasant noise and vibration."
freaky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 03:39 AM   #66
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUB
forget the 6's get a gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
or gen 4...
Quote:
Originally Posted by McobraR
or gen 5... :
Or Gen6 :

There is a VT II SS i would love but it's a little to high in price on finance with full comprehensive, And I'm a little nerves of the first GEN3
Would love a V6 S/C.
Old 25-04-2006, 04:14 AM   #67
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaky
Review 1

"In real-world driving, the SV6 manual is a disappointment. Below about 4000 rpm (the operating range where you do most driving), the SV6 is flexible but it never performs at anything more than a pedestrian level. The word “effortless” (which we’ve used to describe the rival Ford 4.0) simply does not apply here.

If you want to pull ahead of traffic, you are forced to take the 3.6 litre V6 engine to high revs. This wouldn’t be an issue if the engine was a sweet, willing revver – but it isn’t.

The engine has a gravelly roar and – in manual gearbox versions – high rpm vibration floods through the clutch and gear knob. "

Review 2

"At lower engine speeds, the Holden is fine (although it still sounds disturbingly similar to the old engine) but rev it hard and it loses some of its composure. It revs freely enough but with a fair degree of unpleasant noise and vibration."
But have a look at this, It's amzing how the same (Drive) Can comment differnt about the same car.
Quote:
The 190 Alloytec's upper mid-range and top end have a freer breathing, more responsive quality than the base engine. For the first time, you can drive a Commodore V6 hard and enjoy it. The 190 is smooth across the rev range and spirited from 4500rpm to 6700rpm, where the rev limiter cuts in. Holden has left the standard Commodore 5500rpm-redlined tachometer on the SV6. Ignore it.

When driven hard, the 190 Alloytec also sounds like it's working properly, as opposed to the base engine, which just huffs and puffs.

The SV6 can't match the Falcon's off-idle grunt but it pulls well from about 2000rpm, cruises easily and with great economy on the highway limit at only 1800rpm in sixth. The zero-100kmh trip takes 8.3 seconds - slower than the Falcon, but fast enough.

The six-speed gearbox has a lighter, more precise action than the Tremec unit fitted to Commodore V8s. Sixth is tall, as is the SV6s unique final drive ratio, so you need to use the intermediate gears to keep the revs up to the V6 on a fast, flowing country road. However, the overall refinement of the drivetrain - Holden's best to date in this respect and certainly light years ahead of the Commodore V8s - plus the breadth and responsiveness of the V6's delivery makes this a pleasurable, involving experience.

It's further enhanced by the confident, secure dynamics, on all surfaces, which make FE2-equipped sports Commodores good things on the open road. The SV6 feels lighter, better balanced and more agile than the Falcon, which is almost 100kg heavier.

The steering is well weighted and has plenty of feedback. Rear end weight transfer, apparent on the base models, is almost eliminated by the SV6's lower ride height, thicker stabiliser bars and firmer suspension.

The stock Commodore brakes are fine in normal use but, like the XR6, the SV6 could use a premium brake package to complement its performance.
SV6 Review Drive
Old 25-04-2006, 02:44 PM   #68
AlbertM
Cracked Pot

Am I the only one that think s that's a Ford oval behind the bra?

Old 25-04-2006, 03:53 PM   #69
Venomous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haha, imagine if all this time, we thought we were seeing the VE's when in ultimatium they were the new falcon. Lol, but i can kind of see what you mean.
Venomous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 04:03 PM   #70
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8 Guy
Haha, imagine if all this time, we thought we were seeing the VE's when in ultimatium they were the new falcon. Lol, but i can kind of see what you mean.
or it could be a revival of the lexcen name and its really a toyota badge

hehehehe
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 04:24 PM   #71
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

I like it ( from what i can actually see ) its a big improvement over what they have now. I was wondering how long it would take holden to design a decent interior.
Old 25-04-2006, 08:04 PM   #72
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like it should be good but, I strongly beleive bigger and heavier could be a fatal move once initial sales slow down & the war starts in Iran. I could be wrong but I did say Monaro sales would slow too much after initial hype too.
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 08:29 PM   #73
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertM

Haha I thought that too
The wheels look like the BA SR 17s too.
Maybe it is Orion? - just kidding.

Intersting pics, big inprovement on VZ anyhow.

The shift leaver must be waaay forward, cant even see the PRNDL, unless its manual or they have adopted tiptronic. IF so, I hope they use the same direction and Ford. If only for uniformity.

The antenna on roof looks likes satnav so maybe the radio ant is in glass liek BA. See the fuel flap is still on drivers side.

What about this tools comments-
"I'm also glad that they've kept the power window switches on the centre console rather than put them on the driver's door. Having the switches on the drivers door like the falcon and most cars these days is such a stupid idea, as the passenger can't reach them if they need to and they fill up with water every time you open the door in the rain."

Why does the passenger need to reach them? Dont they have their own controls? I think windo switches onthe windows is logical. To have them in the centre of the car is weird (sorry all you EL and previous owners).
Same with the power mirror.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 09:00 PM   #74
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertM

So what would be the reason for putting the fuel flap on the drivers side of a Falcon after all of these years?
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 09:13 PM   #75
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Window switches going on the door instead of centre console made sense when Ford still offered a 6 seat version of the Falcon, but now it doesnt really matter. Bring back the make-out seat i think!
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 09:16 PM   #76
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
Window switches going on the door instead of centre console made sense when Ford still offered a 6 seat version of the Falcon, but now it doesnt really matter. Bring back the make-out seat i think!
show me a falcon (post XC)that was specced enough to have power windows while having a bench seat.
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 09:42 PM   #77
nb_351
building the xe...

looks a ot like our mazda 3... same style, interior colours and trims... very similar... not to say theyre a bad looking car, i love it...
dont know if holden fans wil though...
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 10:20 PM   #78
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaky
Review 1

Review 2

Forget about the road tests.

Drive one for yourself. They arent that bad. I'd rather have a BA, but the VZ certainly doesn't deserve that bad a review and after driving the AUIIIs at work, the VZ is FAR better - smoother, quiter, faster, better handling.

The only real problem is the auto trans is a bit vague.
Old 25-04-2006, 11:18 PM   #79
maxs
Starter Motor

Actually window switches in the centre make perfect sense.
If you are a passenger, & want to close the rear window you can easily do it from the centre instead of leaning across to the drivers door & stabbing yourself in the guts with the handbrake.
maxs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 11:24 PM   #80
XRated
Shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxs
If you are a passenger, & want to close the rear window you can easily do it from the centre instead of leaning across to the drivers door & stabbing yourself in the guts with the handbrake.
And instead of asking the driver to put them up.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 11:26 PM   #81
Jeld-Wen Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dunno, I think its very ugly.
Jeld-Wen Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 11:59 PM   #82
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Quote:
its akward unsafe and impractical for them to be in the middle, one thing you learn when you go for driving lessons before or even after getting you p's you learn never to look down at the gear stick and mucking around with the power windows like that is no different if not worse at least being on the door its up a little higher and using the lock to its potential i.e driver controling whether the windows should be up, down, locked...ect if they are in the middle anyone can reach over and start fiddling which takes away the purpose of the child lock
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2006, 08:52 AM   #83
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

From a drivers perspective, having the power window switches on the drivers door is safer than having them in the center consoul. Ideally (and like most european cars) there are also individual switches for the passengers on each door.
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2006, 09:44 AM   #84
freaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citric XR6
Forget about the road tests.

Drive one for yourself. They arent that bad. I'd rather have a BA, but the VZ certainly doesn't deserve that bad a review and after driving the AUIIIs at work, the VZ is FAR better - smoother, quiter, faster, better handling.

The only real problem is the auto trans is a bit vague.
I have driven them and they haven't really impressed me. Part of that may be with the old gearbox.

You can't really compare AUIII's with VZ's. How old are the AUIII's now ? Compare a BF and VZ, the BF is much more refined.
freaky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2006, 02:33 PM   #85
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

I just cant stand the Engine sound of the VZ... Ive driven my fair share of VY onwards Series commodores (i used to work in a council) and of the Lot, Yes of course the VZ was the most improved and refined but you could feel the lack of torque in the engine...and the noise...oh the noise :( If you wanna know what i mean, go and turn your Hoover on.
I think the only way is up for Holden on this one...its not that hard to improve on the VZ IMHO, it will incorporate a lot of the technology that we've all seen in the BA...im talking about the 6 cyl. here... (plus some new trinkets ofcourse) And if they can improve on the Aural note and torque delivery (although i think its the 4spd. holding it back) of the HFV6 that'd be grand
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2006, 02:36 PM   #86
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUXRVIII
So what would be the reason for putting the fuel flap on the drivers side of a Falcon after all of these years?
So you only have to go to one side of the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
its akward unsafe and impractical for them to be in the middle, one thing you learn when you go for driving lessons before or even after getting you p's you learn never to look down at the gear stick and mucking around with the power windows like that is no different if not worse at least being on the door its up a little higher and using the lock to its potential i.e driver controling whether the windows should be up, down, locked...ect if they are in the middle anyone can reach over and start fiddling which takes away the purpose of the child lock
There is no need to look down as they go from right to left only 4 switches hand goes down no need to look. first 2 are front next 2 are back
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stylist
From a drivers perspective, having the power window switches on the drivers door is safer than having them in the center consoul. Ideally (and like most european cars) there are also individual switches for the passengers on each door.
But after driving a Ford Territory i found it hard to find which window in the dark, And you still need to take your eyes off the road to look at them till you get the hang of where they are, Same with holden when you know them there simple no need to look.
One thing i learnt with my sisters VL Calais is the kids love to flick the windows up and down and brake them, So 100% off the time it was on lock.
Old 26-04-2006, 09:29 PM   #87
maxs
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
And instead of asking the driver to put them up.
Yes, but if the driver has hopped out of the car for 2 minutes & the passengers are waiting in the car, then better to have electric windows in the middle.
But each to their own..
maxs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2006, 10:09 PM   #88
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Quote:
Yes, but if the driver has hopped out of the car for 2 minutes & the passengers are waiting in the car, then better to have electric windows in the middle.
But each to their own..
"vecommo" from ls1 i presume?
since im not a member of ls1 i cant reply there but in response to your comment if the drivers out of the car that means the car is stopped(hopefully lol) so whats stoppin the passengers from just opening the doors instead
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 01:08 AM   #89
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Knowing Holden's you only get 30 sec to 1 min of time when the car has stopped to put windows up or down. that's if it's turned off.