Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-04-2006, 11:52 AM   #1
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Lowering AU Fairmont Ghia

(Originally put this in the suspension section but only one helpful response.
Maybe there is a greater knowledge base in here)

I've decided to put 17" rims on my AUIII Fairmont Ghia (16" standard).

I quite like the BA/BF XR6 rims and they seem to be selling quite cheaply s/h these days.

Is there a general rule of thumb of how far to lower my F/Ghia so that it looks a bit better with 17's?

What is involved with lowering my model to the suggested level?

Also which shocks are a reasonable compromise between handling and comfort, with comfort being the priority?

Thanks...

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 12:00 PM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I have found going for a Comfort Gas shock the best way to go ... when cruising it absorbs all harshness ... but when needed on mountain roads and sweepers ... these shocks will stuffen up under heavy load for better control.

Pedders and Monroe make similar shocks (and so do other companies as well).

It depends on height preference though ... I dropped my ute 1.5" only (as it is used for work purposes) ... and I put 17" Territory wheels on it (upped in size from 16" rims).

There's still a couple of centimetres between top of tyre and wheel arch .... but nowhere near the gap I used to have.

Spring stiffness will play a part also in ride comfort too ... but if you can go a progressive rate spring it will be better for a comfort orientated ride that will stiffen up when needed for control.

I wouldn't drop a GHIA too low (unless that's your thing though) ... it starts making it difficult to drive - especially if it gets taken to shopping centres and the like).

Hope this helps.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 12:08 PM   #3
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest
(Originally put this in the suspension section but only one helpful response.
Maybe there is a greater knowledge base in here)
I know nothing really of this topic, but I bet you will get plenty of good advice here!

All the best with it!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 12:15 PM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Do the Ghias have IRS? I think they do - if so, I have a full set of AU3 XR springs to suit IRS. Yours for $100 plus postage (approx $50, depending on where you live). They will drop the car approx 25mm from standard height. The do NOT require new shocks to be fitted as the shocks for XRs and normal height AUs are the same part number - only when you get to superlows or lower would you need to start looking at new shocks.

PM me if you are interested.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 12:44 PM   #5
miitch
orgasmic.

Autobarn told me that when putting king superlows in my AU1 fairmoint that I didn't need to replace the shocks (book didn't mention anything on it) - but I think they need to be replaced anyway...

121.0rwkw
miitch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 12:50 PM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

If lowering a car ... if you want better control though ... it is recommended to replace shock absorbers. Especially if the height difference is over an inch at least ... otherwise your current shocks will leak under pressure as they are not designed to be matched with a shorter stiffer spring. It will work OK for a little while but the shopck absorber will fail prematurely.

Plus a Gas shock absorber will increase handling/comfort/control properties as well.

If you have the funds to do so ... do it when you lower it at the same time ... it saves replacing them later on and will reduce your labour costs if you do it all in one go as well.
Old 17-04-2006, 01:34 PM   #7
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Plus a Gas shock absorber will increase handling/comfort/control properties as well.
thanks for that.

I've organised the springs from JC so I'll get the shocks you recommend as well.

Funny, I thought I was over cars but I'm quite looking forward to playing around a bit
Old 17-04-2006, 01:38 PM   #8
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

No probs ... when you get older ... the word changes from "modification" to "enhancement" ... hee hee.

You still need a toy to tinker with though
Old 17-04-2006, 06:20 PM   #9
TCK-098

Hi Ron,

I own a Fairmont Ghia that has been lowered with kings spring SSLs the only problem as mentioned they stuff the shocks and monroe do NOT make a shock to suit the height that i have .

I cant understand it afterall the car was a optioned with the XR lowered suspension so the only way to fix the issue if you go lower like me is to get ready to fork out 700+ on stupid shocks.
Old 17-04-2006, 07:49 PM   #10
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

Super lows and irs work well together and actually enhance the ride without compromising comfort. No way would l go sslows for a daily driver.
AU-MUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 08:48 AM   #11
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU-MUSTD
Super lows and irs work well together and actually enhance the ride without compromising comfort. No way would l go sslows for a daily driver.
I would agree on that advice as I hit the IRS cradle a couple of times with the superlows & pedders sports riders. So running the sslows you would hit the underbody a fair bit driving over humps or dirt tracks dug up by 4 w/drives which can be part of a daily driver.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 10:54 AM   #12
ronwest

JC's springs turned up today... thanks mate.

Hey Mechan1k, are the shocks you are using actually called "Comfort Gas"?

I had a look on Pedders website and couldn't find them.
Old 20-04-2006, 11:01 AM   #13
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

I am using Sports Ryder shocks (more sports orientated ... and stiffer).

Pedders website shows "8835 C/GAS SEALED STRUT" for the AU2 with IRS
I am presuming that's for your model.

http://catalogue.pedders.com.au/part...CON&model=1657

Has the full parts listing for AUII sedan with IRS ... every little thing that Pedders stocks for your model.

I am presuming the C/GAS strut is the Comfort Gas strut.

Hope this helps.
Old 20-04-2006, 01:19 PM   #14
ronwest

Quote:
I am presuming the C/GAS strut is the Comfort Gas strut.
Yep that is correct.

I just rang Pedders. I'll probably go with the Sports Ryders as well.

Once or twice per month my wife and I like to get away for the weekend. I think I'll enjoy driving the car more with the SR's.

Around half as much again compared to the Comforts but most likely worth it.

Whilst I'm about it I'll replace the rotors and pads with the much discussed DBA slotted...

Jeez, mucking around with cars get's a bit expensive...
Old 20-04-2006, 06:38 PM   #15
ronwest

well, maybe I won't go with the Sports Ryders...

Just had a phone call from a guy who designs and manufactures specialty shocks (I had a guy in at work this morning and asked him who he knows in auto supply business.. "Oh my neighbour has something to do with car bits and pieces")

Anyhoo, he followed it up and the neighbour rang me. Told me the shortcomings of mass produced shocks (in one ear and out the other) and will call me with a price for shocks to suit my AU.

Watch this space ;)
Old 20-04-2006, 06:39 PM   #16
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

You mean Falcon Fairmont Ghia right? lol

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 07:48 PM   #17
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
You mean Falcon Fairmont Ghia right? lol
Well, I 'spose it should really be Ford Falcon Fairmont Ghia Series Three...
Old 23-04-2006, 09:25 PM   #18
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest
Watch this space ;)
So it works out that I can get better shocks than the Sports Ryders for about 40% of the price.

Woohoo... it's who you know, not what you know....
Old 27-04-2006, 08:16 AM   #19
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Nice work ... always good to know someone in the industry.
And you are right ... it's who you know ... not what you know.

Will be interested to see the results ... what/who is the brand of shock????
Or is it a custom made item???
Old 27-04-2006, 05:26 PM   #20
ronwest

Quote:
Will be interested to see the results ... what/who is the brand of shock????
Or is it a custom made item???
Don't know at this stage. All I know is that the guy designs and manufactures specialty shocks.

I got back to the guy I know and told him to tell the shock guy that its a deal and to let me know when and where to pickup/pay.

I havent heard anything else, but with short weeks etc thats not surprising.

I'll update when I've got them....