Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 15-09-2024, 11:15 AM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Spike in NSW Road Toll

By my counting, ten people have died in motor vehicle accidents in the last seven days, in NSW. That number includes one pedestrian, and may change if someone critically injured a few days ago dies from their crash injuries.

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news/n...bWwmYWxsPTE%3D

Critical injury (doesn’t sound encouraging) from street racing crash:

On raw extrapolation, that’s 520 fatalities a year. I realise that’s a farcical way to look at it, but it’s still a big number for a springtime week of mostly good weather, in a non-holiday period. Also notable is the brief descriptions of these incidents - a good number of them possibly reflect conduct that’s difficult to police or legislate meaningfully. I’ll be waiting to see what the Government have to say; whether they ignore this detail and keep banging on about speed. (I think the total is too great for them to say nothing, the Opposition and vested interest groups will be vocal otherwise.)
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2024, 01:49 PM   #2
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Spike in NSW Road Toll

My daughter informed me that some yr 12 boys in her old high school took their cars up into the hills winding roads at night, switched off their lights, and raced until they crashed, both in hospital with critical injuries. This is a “thing” apparently.
Never underestimate peoples stupidity when it comes to risk taking behaviour, and that’s before you take drugs into consideration.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 15-09-2024, 02:19 PM   #3
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

but the current number is 'only' 2 more than same time last year. numbers in isolation mean next to nothing, but expect the 'speed kills' advocates to jump on this.

https://www.bitre.gov.au/statistics/...crash_database

anecdotally the last two years seem to have had awful driver behaviors which does seem to be born out by the data

interestingly, from the data, and for all those advocates of lower CBD limits, only 6% of all fatalities occur in 50kmh zones!
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-09-2024, 06:23 AM   #4
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have NSW friends that tell us that Victorians are the worst drivers and the have worst cars (coz we don't have annual roadworthies), I just keep saying "both States have the same population and NSW has a higher road toll' please explain
Old 16-09-2024, 09:17 AM   #5
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While not knowing the details of any of those crashes / accidents / road conditions etc , my guess is to a lot of causes >

Disregard for the laws.
Complete lack of common sense regarding road conditions, and lack of common sense.
Alcohol, misuse of some legal prescriptions, illegal drugs.,
Lack of driver training, and lack of common sense.
Misguided belief that Driver Aids will save you from disaster.,
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2024, 07:20 PM   #6
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
We have NSW friends that tell us that Victorians are the worst drivers and the have worst cars (coz we don't have annual roadworthies), I just keep saying "both States have the same population and NSW has a higher road toll' please explain
NSW probably had a lot more dodgy country roads since it’s more than 3 times bigger.
Plus it probably has more passing through traffic than Victoria. I bet NSW has more distance travelled on its road than Victoria.
But yeah NSW drivers are out of control anyway.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2024, 08:31 PM   #7
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

Pedestrian fatalities are increasing, apparently because of the design of modern cars with the flat vertical front, look around you will see them every where. In the past the pedestrian would be scooped up and over the bonnet, broken bones etc but not fatal. Now they are being hit by the equivalent of a brick wall, pushed forward and more regularly killed.
AMB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old Yesterday, 08:34 AM   #8
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
I just keep saying "both States have the same population and NSW has a higher road toll' please explain
NSW population is 8.153 million & Victoria's population is 6.359 million, not quite the same.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 09:13 AM   #9
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMB View Post
Pedestrian fatalities are increasing, apparently because of the design of modern cars with the flat vertical front, look around you will see them every where. In the past the pedestrian would be scooped up and over the bonnet, broken bones etc but not fatal. Now they are being hit by the equivalent of a brick wall, pushed forward and more regularly killed.
No doubt drivers will be given the responsibility to fix this, even though most pedestrian impacts are the fault of the pedestrian.
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 09:42 AM   #10
Blue_XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
but the current number is 'only' 2 more than same time last year. numbers in isolation mean next to nothing, but expect the 'speed kills' advocates to jump on this.

https://www.bitre.gov.au/statistics/...crash_database

anecdotally the last two years seem to have had awful driver behaviors which does seem to be born out by the data

interestingly, from the data, and for all those advocates of lower CBD limits, only 6% of all fatalities occur in 50kmh zones!
I think pedestrians need to pay more attention and get off their phone when walking across the road. I have seen people nearly get hit by trams in the Sydney CBD as they just walk and not even look. People take risks crossing the roads as well. Sometimes you just have to wonder what goes through peoples head.

Also if the road toll keeps on going up I wonder how many people are distracted by the electronics in their cars.
3 users like this post:
Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM   #11
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_XR View Post
I think pedestrians need to pay more attention and get off their phone when walking across the road. I have seen people nearly get hit by trams in the Sydney CBD as they just walk and not even look. People take risks crossing the roads as well. Sometimes you just have to wonder what goes through peoples head.

Also if the road toll keeps on going up I wonder how many people are distracted by the electronics in their cars.
$ydney drivers queuing across intersections, forcing their way across driveway entrances and running red lights don't help either.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 10:36 AM   #12
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Motor cyclists are over represented here in WA.
They make up a third of our 60 fatalities so far, average 1 a week so far.
Majority are old guys, presumably taking up riding again 40 years later with their retirement payout and not doing a refresher course on their Harley's compared to the CB500 they used to ride.

More cars on the road, stat's are going to go up. Plus lots of migrants getting a license here after transferring their licenses from their home country where driving conditions are very different in many ways, good and bad.
I know authorities here don't recognise some countries drivers licenses so they have to start again to obtain a license.

So many contributing factors now days. Years ago it was only 3 things, speed, seat belts and alcohol.
Now it's apathy, drugs, complete disregard and entitlement mixed in with the big 3 and a lack of Police enforcement on the roads.
Governments are too reliant on cameras which are predominantly ineffectual in modify driver behaviour.
3 users like this post:
Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM   #13
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
Motor cyclists are over represented here in WA.
They make up a third of our 60 fatalities so far, average 1 a week so far.
Majority are old guys, presumably taking up riding again 40 years later with their retirement payout and not doing a refresher course on their Harley's compared to the CB500 they used to ride.

More cars on the road, stat's are going to go up. Plus lots of migrants getting a license here after transferring their licenses from their home country where driving conditions are very different in many ways, good and bad.
I know authorities here don't recognise some countries drivers licenses so they have to start again to obtain a license.

So many contributing factors now days. Years ago it was only 3 things, speed, seat belts and alcohol.
Now it's apathy, drugs, complete disregard and entitlement mixed in with the big 3 and a lack of Police enforcement on the roads.
Governments are too reliant on cameras which are predominantly ineffectual in modify driver behaviour.
And yet modern cars are so much safer, we rely on bells, whistles and large TV screens technology to save us.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM   #14
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
And yet modern cars are so much safer, we rely on bells, whistles and large TV screens technology to save us.
I agree with you, but I get shot down by a particular member of this forum for using the comment "technology dumbs down drivers" responsibility.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM   #15
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
While not knowing the details of any of those crashes
from the BITRE link I quoted, for NSW this year, up to July, it shows 209 fatalities

Driver 107
Motorcycle pillion passenger 3
Motorcycle rider 34
Passenger 31
Pedal cyclist 4
Pedestrian 30
Grand Total 209

-9 1
0_to_16 9
17_to_25 43
26_to_39 42
40_to_64 60
65_to_74 23
75_or_older 31
Grand Total 209

Nothing jumps out there. The type probably reflects more the amount of each user on the road, and the age certainly doesn't clearly point to either inexperience or age

Inner Regional Australia 78
Major Cities of Australia 79
Outer Regional Australia 47
Remote Australia 5
Grand Total 209

40 2
50 34
60 23
70 20
80 39
90 1
100 66
110 24

nor really does any of the other data. I'm sure other databases have more detail, and I surely hope the ones our decision makers are using do, but to me, these fatalities seem about as random as they coul dbe
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: