Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old Yesterday, 01:54 PM   #2941
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: Why is it.................?

Dunno why, but it reminds me of the time over the christmas break a few years back i was out on my boat fishing with my mate waza. Waza was my manager at work but out of work a good mate. The boss calls my mate about an emergency call out (he put his phone on loudspeaker) and waz says he cant because he is on a boat. The boss then tells him to call me. The short answer was there is no point, as he was on my boat. The boss wasnt happy that he had to try find someone to attend. Later on i found out no one said yes and the boss begrudgingly had to make a 20 minute drive to reset a circuit.
One thing i pointed out when i worked at that mob was they did not make people familiar with all the sites we were encumbant contractors to. Some blokes would only really know 1 or 2 buildings. I was the only person who knew the ins and outs of all the sites. I left on good terms, but for 2 years after that, every couple days id get calls from prior co workers. Id only answer to my old apprentice, the bloke under me on my team and waza. Only because my old apprenti and team mate knew i wont tell them how to do their jobs, they'd have to tell me what they'd tested and checked and even if i knew exactly the fix, I'd just point them in the right direction. When waza would call it would be because a building manager would be up his **** as to why whoever was on site is taking hours when if i was there it would take 20 minutes. In that case I'd tell waza exactly what to do as he was sitting behind his desk, not on site. But it tell him not to tell whoever is on site that he spoke to me, tell them the answer but make them feel like a dumbarse about it. Sounds harsh i know, but nothing was ever difficult or out of the job description. So if getting told off for incompetence doesnt get people into gear to do better, it makes them resign. A win win for any company.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old Yesterday, 11:52 PM   #2942
Trendseeker

Default Re: Why is it.................?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanempire View Post
Anyway,
I propose a thought experiment to this conundrum.

Upon waking up, have someone who is already firing on all cylinders, and fully awake, time you counting to one minute, silently, to yourself.
So, you sit there, with your eyes shut, and count to 60 as accurately as you can. When you think one minute is up say stop, so the person with the stopwatch timing you can record the data.

Do the same thing again when you are wide awake, and maybe, as another side experiment, do it when you are flatout mentally, like fully hectic busy.

I haven't, but I will, try this. It's a bit like the question: how do we slow down time mentally?

Be an interesting Dr Karl question.. he's on Tripple J today at 11am.
If time permits, I'll try and ask.

Always thinking,

One Man
There are articles and books on this, and you are onto the reason why time appears to run at different speeds.

They say that our perception of time is based on how fast our brains react to inputs from our senses; sight, touch, hearing etc. For example, if you are watching the traffic as you drive, while it might appear to you as a smoothly flowing set of changes (analogue), your brain is actually interpreting what it sees as snapshots about 40 times a second (digital).

That is why motion pictures were first introduced at 24 frames a second, because the brain does not detect the flickering between the pictures.

The reaction times of young people are the fastest at about 20ms or 50 times a second, and as you age your reaction times become slower. If you’re young and your brain is processing inputs at 50 times a second, time appears to move more slowly than an older person who is processing at 30 times a second.

They say that’s why time seems to go faster the older you are.

Caffeine improves your reaction time temporarily; drugs slow it down. Plenty of sleep helps improve it when you’re awake, but time appears to go very quickly while you’re asleep.

So they say.

Here’s one article. There are many out there.

https://thedebrief.org/the-perceptio...rch%20explains.