Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM   #1
Nickal
Starter Motor

Default Ford Mondeo TDCi Transmission Issue

Hello members, new to the group...apologies if this question is posted in the wrong thread.
Basically I own a 2014 Mondeo Auto Diesel (210000km) which from early own produced the dreaded transmission issues. I have learnt to live with said problem but the other day the vehicle decided to strip its timing belt with also the possibility of needing a new compressor. I really don't wont to spend on repairs for a vehicle with issues.
Here's my question: Do 2017, 2018 Mondeo Diesel Auto's have the same issues as their previous model?
I really like the units as they are economical / versatile but as you can image I am a little shy on purchasing the same model if the transmission issues weren't ever resolved.
Cheers in advance
Nickal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 01:27 PM   #2
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Ford Mondeo TDCi Transmission Issue

Have you sold the ‘14 yet?
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM   #3
Nickal
Starter Motor

Citroenbender. No I haven't sold the unit yet. Been quoted $900 for install of a $50 belt and possibly another $1200 for a replacement Compressor.
Yes $2500 compared to $17k to $20K replacement vehicle makes fiscal sense.
In two minds just to get rid and start a fresh
Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM   #4
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

It will be new belt, rockers, cover seal, oil, flush and filter to rectify the motor, that’s probably your $900.

Compressor, if the system is not open to air it’s possibly just the variable displacement electrovalve which is faulty. So a new VDV, flush, vacuum and gas. A lot of AC auto elecs don’t want to do just a VDV in case it still doesn’t fix the car, plus there’s a lot more fat on an OEX or similar compressor in trade price vs retail.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM   #5
Nickal
Starter Motor

Thank you for the explanation. I am the first to admit that I am inept when it comes to things under the bonnet...with cars at least.
Always feel like I'm being taken for a ride (no pun intended) when it comes to Auto Mechanics.
Think I have made my mind up to open the wallet on repairs.

NB Still interested to know if the 2017 and younger Mondeo Diesel Autos are any good. Were the transmission issues resolved?
Old Yesterday, 05:45 PM   #6
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do you have the hatch or wagon?
And do you know which version of the engine you have, and which transmission?

The less powerful versions of the Duratorq Diesels, came with a conventional automatic transmission (AFW21) as also fitted to the petrol versions.
The more powerful Diesels came with a version of the powershift DCT (6DTC450).

Smaller dry-clutch versions of the powershift, fitted to the Focus, Fiesta, etc, were the source of many problems and much notoriety.
My understanding is that the larger hydraulic versions had far fewer problems.

For some reason, I have it in my head that the MC Diesel Wagons still had the conventional auto?

If buying an MD, if you want to avoid the powershift completely, you'd need to buy the ecoboost Petrol. As far as I know, the diesels all came with a version of the powershift.

Last edited by Crazy Dazz; Yesterday at 05:55 PM.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: