Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM   #1
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Whatever happened to Ethanol?

As relatively clean burning renewable fuel, it was supposed to be the way of the future. Especially for a country like Australia with our huge fuel-security issues.

Yet it seems to have been forgotten about?

Has everyone just assume that coal-powered battery vehicles will completely take over?
Old Yesterday, 06:24 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Whatever happened to Ethanol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
As relatively clean burning renewable fuel, it was supposed to be the way of the future. Especially for a country like Australia with our huge fuel-security issues.

Has everyone just assume that coal-powered battery vehicles will completely take over?
Same as LPG, same as renewable diesels, and HVO.

We'd rather pay $2/L+ for fuel rather than look for viable alternatives because 'too hard basket'.

Brazilian market has a huge E85 market, and all their vehicles are flexfuel capable.

Quote:
Brazil's 40-year-old ethanol fuel program is based on the most efficient agricultural technology for sugarcane cultivation in the world, uses modern equipment and cheap sugar cane as feedstock, the residual cane-waste (bagasse) is used to produce heat and power, which results in a very competitive price and also in a high energy balance (output energy/input energy), which varies from 8.3 for average conditions to 10.2 for best practice production. In 2010, the U.S. EPA designated Brazilian sugarcane ethanol as an advanced biofuel due to its 61% reduction of total life cycle greenhouse gas emissions, including direct indirect land use change emissions.
There's no appetite in this country for fixing problems, only whinging.

Pretty sure we are capable of growing sugar cane in Australia and other grains capable of producing ethanol based fuels.

Its amazing how third world corrupt and crime ridden shitholes like Brazil can do this sort of stuff, and we're incapable of anything that involves getting up off the couch because the AFL is on.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; Yesterday at 06:31 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old Yesterday, 06:56 PM   #3
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's still here - east coast, anyway, dunno about Perth though.

Manildra still make it here in Oz.

https://www.manildra.com.au/product/ethanol/

Geelong has a couple of E85 bowsers still. E10 still available as a fuel, the 94 octane one was the best imo

In the 2nd handy market there are quite a few cars that will run on E85 eg
Some VEII, all VF MY14, some Craptivas if any still exist, Jeeps with Pentastar 3.6 roughly 2011-13. Those are factory flex fuel tunes.

This group have conversion kits for all sorts of recent motors including GM Ecotec, hybrid Toyotas, and the Barra in some models:

https://eflexfuel.com/en

And there's a big tuning scene for it - of which I don't know much about.

SO

there remains a clean and green alternative using existing technology.

**Bonus:

Going old school, for the carby guys:

https://journeytoforever.org/biofuel...nol_drane.html

and for the moonshiners (be aware of gov rules in Australia)

https://journeytoforever.org/books/e...ill-manual.cgi

Good book:

https://www.whiskeyhillfarms.com/alcohol-can-be-a-gas/

Take 20% of that ethanol and cut into vegetable oils for biodiesel

https://www.scribd.com/document/2037...-the-Fuel-Tank

SO

If we are ever cut off by sea from our fuel imports, and cut off from further batteries and parts from our biggest electric car supplier - or just want green motoring, you know what to do.

**Bonus: two other things we could do: NW shelf natural gas into CNG in diesels; Gippsland coal into Fischer Tropsch coal to diesel tech - if we were ever completely stuffed for liquid fuels.
Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM   #4
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post

We'd rather pay $2/L+ for fuel rather than look for viable alternatives because 'too hard basket'.

Brazilian market has a huge E85 market, and all their vehicles are flexfuel capable.

Pretty sure we are capable of growing sugar cane in Australia and other grains capable of producing ethanol based fuels.

Its amazing how third world corrupt and crime ridden shitholes like Brazil can do this sort of stuff, and we're incapable of anything that involves getting up off the couch because the AFL is on.
Sugar cane industry up north is on the decline, Mossman QLD refinery closed down and local growers told to grow other products, such a backward country we are becoming.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
Sugar cane industry up north is on the decline, Mossman QLD refinery closed down and local growers told to grow other products, such a backward country we are becoming.
Its alright we'll all sell $8 coffees and swap houses amongst ourselves
3 users like this post:
Old Yesterday, 10:28 PM   #6
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A guy I worked with had a VE Series 2 3.6 and the first time he filled up with E85 the car ran very poorly.
He took it to the dealer, told them the symptoms only happened after filling up with E85.
They drained the fuel system refilled it with ULP,, was advised to stay away from E85.
EBSXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 10:39 PM   #7
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Because they're made there. Do you want the only vehicles on offer here to be made in Brazil?
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 11:00 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBSXR6 View Post
A guy I worked with had a VE Series 2 3.6 and the first time he filled up with E85 the car ran very poorly.
He took it to the dealer, told them the symptoms only happened after filling up with E85.
They drained the fuel system refilled it with ULP,, was advised to stay away from E85.
If you run it on ULP for a long time, then put E85 through it you'll kill both fuel pumps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Because they're made there. Do you want the only vehicles on offer here to be made in Brazil?
90% of them are made in Thailand so whats the difference

Ford US has offered flexfuel vehicles to their market for decades, and same in the US market.
Old Today, 03:40 AM   #9
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
LPG is a pet peev of mine, but I understand that you really need a completely different setup (eg ecoLPi) plus the infrastructure in servos, plus people are afraid of different bowser handles.
Biodiesel and HVO are too dependent on food oils.

But cars capable of running on e85, instead of 98, should just be a matter of tune (that modern ECUs can handle in their sleep) and a few different components.
IIRC weren't the latter Holden V6s designed to run on e85?

Quote:
They shut down the Sugar cane industry in the Pilbara, cos there ws no market for the sugar.
Northern Australia has heaps of potential, cos all your need is water and sun

Plus ethanol can be brewed from just about anything, including wheat byproducts, vegetables, beets, etc.
Old Today, 03:42 AM   #10
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah, I once worked with a guy that stupid.
Old Today, 07:14 AM   #11
None-ya

Whatever happened to Ethanol? The alco's drank it all.
Old Today, 07:26 AM   #12
None-ya

[QUOTE=Franco Cozzo;6921293]Same as LPG, same as renewable diesels, and HVO.

Hence my original comment. Bundaberg is 'abit' north of me and I remember 10+ years ago heaps of talk about them starting a ethanol distillery for biofuels. . . . Only thing new to come out since is different blends of rum and etc
Old Today, 07:33 AM   #13
None-ya

Quote:
Sometimes depends on the 'mix' of the E85. Put it simply was the 15% 91octane or 98octane
Old Today, 07:41 AM   #14
89.SVO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post

Blame the Lieberal government.
Rudd and Gillard had a renewal fuels thing going, remember when Ford and Holden made flex fuel capable cars?
Then Scumo and his cronies ripped all funding from renewable fuels and E85 bowsers started closing down everywhere.
89.SVO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old Today, 09:06 AM   #15
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by None-ya View Post
Sometimes depends on the 'mix' of the E85. Put it simply was the 15% 91octane or 98octane
None-ya Thanks for that, lucky dip buying E85.

Last edited by EBSXR6; Today at 09:18 AM.
EBSXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 09:41 AM   #16
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I was a real believer in LPG until it got much harder with extra costs meeting Euro 4
It was only a matter of time before it all got too hard and people gave up.

I see the same thing happening with E85, there just no point/incentive for the bulk of car owners.
People often say, why don’t the government do this or that, well we’ve just seen their plan going
forward with future Euro 6 emission levels, I think E85 adds too much complication to OEMs
who just want to supply the bare minimum emission requirements / obligations to our country

Last edited by jpd80; Today at 09:46 AM.
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 09:43 AM   #17
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89.SVO View Post
Blame the Lieberal government.
Rudd and Gillard had a renewal fuels thing going, remember when Ford and Holden made flex fuel capable cars?
Then Scumo and his cronies ripped all funding from renewable fuels and E85 bowsers started closing down everywhere.
Holden made flex-fuel cars from MY10 to MY14, but I don't remember seeing any Aussie Fords with flex-fuel systems.

The main problem with E85 (from my point of view working in the auto industry) was that while it was a bit cheaper (per litre) it has less energy, therefore the L/100km is much worse. The car cost more to run, so why bother.

Te other problem with E85 is the fuel's evaporation & corrosion issues. It's a bit like methanol in that regard, but not as bad.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old Today, 09:51 AM   #18
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
Holden made flex-fuel cars from MY10 to MY14, but I don't remember seeing any Aussie Fords with flex-fuel systems.

The main problem with E85 (from my point of view working in the auto industry) was that while it was a bit cheaper (per litre) it has less energy, therefore the L/100km is much worse. The car cost more to run, so why bother.

Te other problem with E85 is the fuel's evaporation & corrosion issues. It's a bit like methanol in that regard, but not as bad.

Dr Terry
Similar issue with the wider available E10, slightly less energy per litre means that
it should cost about 8 cents a litre less than 91 ULP but has been pegged at 2 cents per litre.
Unless you’re green conscious, thers no need to even entertain buying the stuff unless
to clean your fuel system every now and then.
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 09:52 AM   #19
None-ya

Quote:
None-ya Thanks for that, lucky dip buying E85.
Yeah I would never trust it unless I made it myself. I've even heard of a few cases of 15% diesel
Old Today, 10:07 AM   #20
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Checking how much sugar cane needs to be grown to produce ethanol?

Is there enough land, water and growing time to produce it in sufficient amounts?
Ford17 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post