Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old Today, 01:28 AM   #1
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default R.I.P Bruno Sacco (1933-2024)

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/ret...odels-has-died

This man was responsible for the aesthetic qualities of so many of my favourite cars - cars that captured my imagination and turned me into a petrolhead.

The W126 was my dream car when I was a kid, growing up in the 1980s. I admired those stately, elegant lines, the three-pointed star emblem on the end of the bonnet, the ridged taillights, and those rather unusual wipers which are both stacked on top of each other on the passenger side of the car.

That three-pointed star emblem was a status symbol that stood for elegance and luxury. Then there was the other Benzes of the 80s - the W124 and the W201, each of which bore a clear family resemblance and were elegant in their own right, each of which also proudly sported the three-pointed star emblem on top of the bonnet, where it belongs. Then of course there was the absolutely stunning C126, which was the best of the best.

Among his other designs were the W140 (which I consider to be Mercedes-Benz at its peak), the R129, R230, W210 and W220.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old Today, 02:39 AM   #2
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: R.I.P Bruno Sacco (1933-2024)

I was going to name my Golden Retriever ‘Bruno’ but he is too clumsy and dopey to be given such a name. I might save it for my next German Shepherd.

Sacco himself wasn’t a fan of the W140 design, citing the roof was an inch or two too high. But IMO this goes for other MB designs like C107, W124, W116, W114, W113 W123 where the 140 actually has better proportions than all of them.

The W124 was revolutionary when it came out with double wishbone and multi link suspension. The handling and ride comfort was next level for a mid ‘80s sedan. IMO ride quality better than W126 and shat all over the E34 5 Series in both aspects.

I was actually browsing W116 content on YouTube prior to coming on here and seeing this thread.
I sold my 116 280SE in 2021 and my 560SEL last year, wanting to get back into another. Or a V12 140 if one comes up.

Last edited by smoo; Today at 02:47 AM.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: