Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-05-2006, 10:39 PM   #1
Mustang Dave

Default I have found my new engine....(v12)

http://www.falconerengines.com/prod04.htm

or

http://www.falconerengines.com/prod05.htm

Mustang Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2006, 12:20 AM   #2
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

ohh hell yes! thats aursome, im thinking that in the NL with a set of pipes.. "is it an 8 mate?" "nah just 2x I6's ;)" *droolz

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2006, 01:03 AM   #3
Kryton

how much and how big are they?
wonder what fords you could drop it into?
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2006, 03:19 AM   #4
Big Mike
Acid Rush XB Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
how much and how big are they?
wonder what fords you could drop it into?
(copied from site)

WEIGHTS & MEASURES
- 600 CID
- 522 LBS.
- 4.125” BORE
- 3.750” STROKE
- 23.5” WIDE; 23” HIGH; 36.5” LONG
(WIDTH FROM CRANKSHAFT CENTER LINE)
(LENGTH TO FRONT ACCESSORY DRIVE PULLEY)
- ALUMINUM BLOCK & HEADS

PERFORMANCE
Running Race Gas:
- 1100 HP AT 6500-7000 RPM NORMALLY ASPIRATED
- 1200-1600 HP SUPERCHARGED OR TURBOCHARGED

PACKAGE
Each engine is dyno tested upon completion and
base price includes the following:
- ECU
- DRY SUMP
- INDEPENDENT RUNNER MANIFOLD
- DIRECT FIRE IGNITION

NOW - how much space do we actually have to play with???
As a very proud owner of a factory V12-powered car, I can only confirm there is something incredible about the sound only a V12 can make. And if by any stretch of the imagination this can be done (in place of a V8 crate motor etc.), DO IT!!!
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2006, 09:59 AM   #5
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

I was hoping the bore and stroke would be simular to a falcons. No chance. bore is a lot bigger. I think it would be a very tight fit length ways.

I was toying around with making a V12 from the Falcon I6. Same bore and stroke, use a standard falcon head on one side (low cost dual VCT, multivalve), and get a mirror one made up (although a regular head could be adapted) for the other side.

Which means the only thing you really have to manufacture from scratch is the block and the crank (maybe not even the crank). If you used CGI or aluminium the weight wouldn't be a whole lot more than a V8.

Blocks aren't ultra difficult to manufacture, you might be able to get one made up for less than $20,000. Using standard(or high performance) I6 pistons, rods, etc to make up the rest would save money and time. If you made a small batch costs would be reduced.

Then you would have a 8.0L V12 48 valve engine. It would fit into a falcon engine bay. It would be fairly easy to achive Euro III or higher emissions.

While the obvious application is some kind of after market V12 GTHO falcon. You also have perhaps amoured LTD. Blends in with the crowd, but weighs 3 tons and goes like a stink. There are also marine applications, possible aircraft applications, military applications and of course drag racing. If you could develop a diesel version it would be extremely marketable as a agricultural or truck engine.

Not to mention you could offer a V12 performance falcon for ~ $150,000 (~380mm rotors, 6 piston calipers, T-56 trans strengthend, uprated diff, shafts, etc. Or a V12 LTD with a few more options for about the same (stronger ZF 6 speed).

A short stroke version of ~6.0L could be made optionally. It would be more compact and more sensible. Could be dropped in with out new shafts, diff and trans saving many thousands. This 6.0L would most likely fit in a commodore engine bay as well, Doubling your market. USA of course would be interested too.

Even using standard falcon components you would have ~ 600Hp from the 8.0L. The 6.0L would be a fairly easy task to get to ~330kw.

If you got some factory assistance to make the mirror head theres very little stopping the project. Break even would be most likely less than 10 engines.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2006, 04:50 PM   #6
vino3o2
owning V8=having no $$$

Laugh at the fact that the "Standard street version" still punches out 650hp!! Ha!! What a weapon........

The Reality: 13.1 @ 106mph.... The Goal: somehow get into the 12s!!! :sm_headba

www.qldsuperkart.org
vino3o2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2006, 11:02 PM   #7
chief
FTF Club Moderator

Why take that when you could have this http://img98.imageshack.us/my.php?im...2engine1ev.jpg This engine has 650hp and go to 2000hp with a full rebuild.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2006, 11:05 PM   #8
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Am going to have a cold shower now...
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2006, 11:52 PM   #9
jmc-007

That falconer engine uses a chev block and heads as a base from looking at it.

Compare that shot to a GENIII

but even so bloody hell nice unit.
jmc-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2006, 12:02 AM   #10
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc-007
That falconer engine uses a chev block and heads as a base from looking at it.

Compare that shot to a GENIII

but even so bloody hell nice unit.
Yep, and add to that its a 90* vee... so picture the roughness of a Holden 3.8 and double it

The Aston v12 started life as two taurus(?might have been mondeo?) v6's joined.
Old 30-05-2006, 12:12 AM   #11
Rollin
Banned

V12s are supposed to be very smooth - Inline 6 cylinders are the best naturally balanced engine configuration, so having a couple of them bolted together would be fine...those engines look hot....mmmmmmmmmmmmm
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2006, 12:16 AM   #12
Gammaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin
V12s are supposed to be very smooth
Yes, they are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin
- Inline 6 cylinders are the best naturally balanced engine configuration,
No, they're not.
Old 30-05-2006, 12:36 AM   #13
39ClevoUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

why not?
39ClevoUte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2006, 12:52 AM   #14
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That is nuts... I want i want i want lol...

:

Future fun: 1968 Ford Galaxie 500

ten[A]cio[U]s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2006, 04:19 PM   #15
turboute
turboute

Oh here we go again.

I6's are naturally balanced - ie bugger all vibration and no - need for counterbalance rods etc.

Do not even think that v8's are naturally balanced. - they do require the use of counterbalancing to get them smooth.

V12's are the equiv of 2x I6's therefor they are balanced.

BTW i want one of those engines. lazy easy reiable power from the looks of it.
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2006, 04:26 PM   #16
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

A FALCONER for your Falcon - it's a natural

Note to FPV, scrap the supercharged biofuel V10, go for this!
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2006, 05:54 PM   #17
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

Would love to see a V12 in any sort of Ford. How ever given the PAG thing I don't think that will even happen. Which is stupid.

I think jaguar *SHOULD* have the aston V12 in some lower stage of tune in there LWB XJ to fight the V12 S600L, W12 A8 and the V12 760IL.

The same jaguar engine should be avalible in certain no luxury focused applications like a FPV.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2006, 01:19 AM   #18
Big Mike
Acid Rush XB Coupe

Actually - the Aston Martin V12 started out with the Ford GT90 project, where Ford put two Romeo V8s, with the front cut off one and the rear cut off the other, together in a vacuum chamber welding process. That engine of course was de-stroked, and fitted with no less than four turbos running a BMEP of 268 psi.

Allegedly, this quad-turbo V12 led to the development of the Aston Martin engine. Thus, a pair of eights, not sixes started that off. Anyhew - yes a V12 is a magnificent engine, as I've rambled proudly on about many a previous time my (now ancient) BMW V12 is an absolute masterpiece of engineering and to compare it with what rubbish was on the market at the same time, is bewildering. And, also hints at what might be possible beyond the reach of our current domestic market, if only we the consumer could look beyond pushrods, V8s, oil consumption, and anything with a lion badge - and actually start DEMANDING some serious quality in our domestic cars.

Certainly, our relatively small Australian market for LWB and high-performance vehicles could surely benefit from such an investment. And I think the increase of imorted, particularly European vehicles is an indication we the consumer are becoming more quality-focused.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...re300hpV12.jpg
Old 01-06-2006, 08:58 PM   #19
Gammaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike
Actually - the Aston Martin V12 started out with the Ford GT90 project, where Ford put two Romeo V8s, with the front cut off one and the rear cut off the other, together in a vacuum chamber welding process. That engine of course was de-stroked, and fitted with no less than four turbos running a BMEP of 268 psi.

Allegedly, this quad-turbo V12 led to the development of the Aston Martin engine. Thus, a pair of eights, not sixes started that off. Anyhew - yes a V12 is a magnificent engine, as I've rambled proudly on about many a previous time my (now ancient) BMW V12 is an absolute masterpiece of engineering and to compare it with what rubbish was on the market at the same time, is bewildering. And, also hints at what might be possible beyond the reach of our current domestic market, if only we the consumer could look beyond pushrods, V8s, oil consumption, and anything with a lion badge - and actually start DEMANDING some serious quality in our domestic cars.

Certainly, our relatively small Australian market for LWB and high-performance vehicles could surely benefit from such an investment. And I think the increase of imorted, particularly European vehicles is an indication we the consumer are becoming more quality-focused.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...re300hpV12.jpg
I'd love to hear where you read that... The GT90 motor was 2 romeo blocks electron beam welded together. It was a 90* V.

The Aston V12 is 60* V, and built in the UK.

IF it was based on Romeo series parts, it'd be being built in the Romeo engine lines in the states.

From http://v8vantage.com/v12.htm
"In 1998 Aston Martin unveiled the project Vantage concept car at the Detroit auto show. Powering the prototype was a Ford developed V12 unit based on the Duratec V6 engine architecture"

However, the Indigo show car used a V12 built on the same duratech architecture 2 years earlier. Perhaps you are confused. (GT90-1995, Indigo-1996, Project Vantage 1998)
Old 03-06-2006, 04:09 AM   #20
Big Mike
Acid Rush XB Coupe

I am not confused. I am familliar with the Indigo concept.
http://www.geocities.com/frdgt90/gt90engine.html

And the site confirming the link to Aston Martin is conveniently down. - http://www.supercars.com/
Old 03-06-2006, 05:09 AM   #21
Big Mike
Acid Rush XB Coupe

On the other hand - I think you're right. The page was very misleading. Indigo may have lead to A.M., not GT90. Thanks for the correction.