Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 02-06-2006, 02:01 PM   #31
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Tell 'em thier right and buy an EL XR6 man, your wallet will be better off running costs wise and in the modding department.
6 cylinders are the future. Ford recognised this in the 80's and after owning an EF XR8 myself and selling it last week i am now familliar with this myself.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2006, 03:06 PM   #32
Scott

Running costs between the two are minimal anyway.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2006, 03:23 PM   #33
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMH8TR
Running costs between the two are minimal anyway.
Not when you consider insurance and rego as running costs.
I am a rating 1 for life SGIC customer and to get my XR8 insured was $78 per month and no one else would touch me as i was under 30 at the time.
My brothers EL ghia is better than an XR and only costs $29 per month
A trip from home to Adelaide(170km's) cost $55 in the V8 and only $40 in my i6.
I think that is a fair saving dont you?
especially considering the EF/L ghia is as quick as an XR with only minor mods
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2006, 04:08 PM   #34
EL8TED
It all counts

all in all its just the insurance that will be the worry.. you wont be driving your 8 like a hoon so fuel wont even matter, who really cares if joe bloggs can make his i6 falcon go 80.000456445kms more to a tank... it should work in reverse, the awful noise pollution that 6's cause should make them have less fuel so they shut up quicker! !!whoah cat amongst the pidgeons!! maybe get some quotes insurance etc, and prepare a "presentation" of sorts for your case, prove to them you are not only mature enough but balanced enough to own/maintain such a vehicle responsibly...
Old 02-06-2006, 04:13 PM   #35
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
Get a 5L EL Ghia, just don't mention it's a bent 8.
My recommendation precisely but was thinking 5L GLi....
Old 02-06-2006, 05:57 PM   #36
Scott

Point taken on insurance. Fuel will hardly matter, 3L/100ks only means about $20 bucks a week more assuming you'd do around 500k's a week. Cheap considering value I place on noise & pulling power.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2006, 06:28 PM   #37
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

The running costs for my EL Ghia 5.0 V8 aren't much more than my previous car a VS Berlina 3.8 V6. Infact insurance for the Ford is cheaper by about $500 p/a and the fuel costs would be maybe $10-$15 more per week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 09:55 AM   #38
EB 2 XR8
Traino!

lol i am 17 and i have a EB XR8 and my mum didn't have a clue what it was and my dad wanted me to get it.....there isn't trust between u and ur parents....

EB 2 XR8 - 5 Speed, All Black, SSV Bodykit,

EF 2 XR6 - 5 Speed, XR Kit, Sunroof,

Current Car:

EL GLI - Straight As!
EB 2 XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 09:56 AM   #39
EB 2 XR8
Traino!

i am being seirous when i say that i can afford to go where i want when i want as i don't worry about fuel....i am only working casual at big w and i drive to skool to work and anywhere i want on the weekends....and i am still saving money in fact i got my car about 6 months ago and now i have a grand...

EB 2 XR8 - 5 Speed, All Black, SSV Bodykit,

EF 2 XR6 - 5 Speed, XR Kit, Sunroof,

Current Car:

EL GLI - Straight As!
EB 2 XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 11:13 AM   #40
sam12h
Runnin C3H8 & C4H10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
My recommendation precisely but was thinking 5L GLi....
Go the 5.0L GLi :
Put 4.0L badges on the guards, (or XR8 badges when you have stopped liking the sleeper), & no-one will question it. The V8 is for towing & was marketed as such (it is fundamentally a truck motor). As stated already the manual xr6 was quicker, so much so that in EB form, it was only just barely pipped at the post by the GT. Later model XR6s got even quicker with the ef, el & au.

As for fuel costs, my 5.0 GLi is very cheap to run. About 14.5l/100km = around 450km from $35. :

Oh, thats right, i only pay 47.9-60cpl for lpg. & before you tell me i've lost power, my lap times @ wakefield are affected more by the tyre pressures than which fuel i use, even with ultimate & the mixer ring removed :eclipsee_
sam12h is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 11:17 AM   #41
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Actually one other thing I just thought of, are you sure you can get a V8 on your P's? new laws and all...
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post