Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 10-06-2006, 07:21 PM   #1
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Default stronger axels

hey, where may i aquire some stronger axels i have an ED Fairmont ghia 94' and it has 28 spline / 3.08 gearing ... i am after to purchase waaay stronger axels then standard ... is there a joint making after-market ones ? i really prefer non second hand cause you never know if they're shagged untill you put 'em in and they last you a week...

how much would they cost for new ones(if that is even possible) rough estimate will do $$$

cheers

kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2006, 09:32 PM   #2
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

I imagine there might be someone there that makes billet 28spline axles.

Otherwise youre going to have to go for a 9inch conversion. I think Sundeep was selling one not long ago. Waste of effort if you ask me.

Why do you want to put in stronger axles? Your 118rwkw isnt going to be bending any anytime soon.

Its like getting forged pistons and running stock cam, compression and no boost.
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2006, 09:41 PM   #3
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

yeah nah i want stronger axels cause i am getting 4.11's and a locker fitted.. thats all oh well i will have to put up with replacing them lol
Old 10-06-2006, 09:46 PM   #4
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

28 spline axles should last awhile. i just happen to know of a car that has 28 spline axles and a locked diff. it gets lots of abuse, and its fine. and these axles are 18 odd years old.

BTW, its not my car, i have an lsd.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:50 PM   #5
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

yeah sweet just i been talking to some people and they saying make sure i get stronger axels.. maybe they thought i had 25 spline... and to upgrade to 28 spline(i already have 28 spline ).. oh well, just would of been a bonus to have 28 spline but more stronger :P
Old 10-06-2006, 09:55 PM   #6
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

keep yours. They should be fine and if they break replacements are cheap!!

Some guys on the calais turbo site talk about fitting 31 spline axles and centre into their borg warners. Not too sure about the accuracy of their info though. :
Old 11-06-2006, 09:26 AM   #7
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah.. i'd seen talk of 31 spline.. but don't know of anyone actually doing it..

i need to find me a set of 28 spine axles... 25's in the EA :(
Eu-GenixX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2006, 11:59 AM   #8
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

Diff Technics sell 31spline BW78 axles for $1050 a pair, and you'll need a new carrier modified to fit.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2006, 10:01 PM   #9
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

what are billet axels? are they any stronger then a 28 spline ones?
Old 11-06-2006, 10:45 PM   #10
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes they are stronger... but for $1000, i am sure you can buy heaps of standard axles. i honestly think you will be fine with standard axles.

Rollin has a locka and boost with standard axles and no problems.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:09 PM   #11
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

are you serious ? $1000 i was browsing a holden site and this guy says he selling 'em new for $300 ?? i sent the guy a message and i will let ya's know what he said. - the billets for borg warner 28 spline

yeah i will keep the axels that are in it atm... but if the billets are cheap then and providing i'll never have to change axels again i may as well get billets... well i will see what happends :P
Old 12-06-2006, 09:34 AM   #12
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

IIRC Holden diff's are narrower, and they're 28sp axles he's talking about, 31sp are more expensive. The number refers to how many splines are on the end of the exle that goes into the carrier.

Like others have said, you won't break axles very often, there's a fair chance you'll snap the carrier or the pinion gears before an axle. If you run a spool with big rear tyres you may snap an axle, but with a street diff (Locker, LSD) you'll be fine. I haven't heard of any BW78's snapping an axle that didn't have a welded or spooled diff.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 11:52 AM   #13
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

ok cool , i have 235 x 45 tyres , so hope it be all good
Old 12-06-2006, 11:58 AM   #14
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

mate give Andrew at supatrik diffs a ring set of MOSER billet axles are about $795 a pair. Just ordered some myself but they are 35 spline and shortened severly. He said they all the same price.
agony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 12:18 PM   #15
ebs_4l

are you talking about a locker or a spool?? two totally different things.

if you are meaning a spool, i would SERIOUSLY reconsider it. fun for 5 secs, but the novelty wears off, you car will be a pig to drive, you will get unwanted attention when its squealing/skipping round corners. they are just shi_t in a road car

if you are meaning locker, then i cant see you ever breaking an axel of a 28spline BW. they are super tough
ebs_4l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 12:30 PM   #16
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

You'll break something else before you break your axles !!!!!!!

The 28 Spline units in all E sries Falcs are very very good.
Got a set from an ELXR8 in the ESP and had em for years without any issues.

31+ spline axles are normally good application for a 450 - 500+ HP motor.
It's not burnouts that does them in, it's more when the car gets traction and all the grunt hinges on the splines to get the car going.........

The heavier the car and the more grunt you have the more potential to bend or break an axle in "street use" you have.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 12:40 PM   #17
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

the main reason i want it, is not because of burnouts .. its for extra traction when taking off... and i know how lsd's can just die like blink of an eye... and if it doesn't die you're very lucky!

to ebs_4l i mean't spool (full spool to be exact) , yeah i realise it will have a longer turn circle and that it skips and chirps, well i havn't heard any ford drivers get done .. on the calaisturbo site heaps of 'em saying they got done, well they probably got pulled up cause of their intercooler and no bumper and decided to see what other mods they have :P

and they all managed to say if you fang it then expect to have an accident... but i won't be doing any of that

i orginally wanted to just get 4.11's fitted and i was thinking about an LSD.. too expensive... I was thinking about a Locker... to expensive... I looked into spools, more realistic pricing :P , i want most amount of traction and i want to beat my bro off the line at the q/mile!
Old 12-06-2006, 04:02 PM   #18
ebs_4l

fair f m8, but they are cheap for a reason....

cos' driveability seriously sucks, have you ever actually driven or been in a car with a locked diff for any decent period of time?? i will guarantee you it will not be a long term proposition for you. tyre wear also goes up majorly, so does trailing arm bush wear.

get a lsd, and shim the breakaway torque upto bout 130lb. that will never single wheel on you, and will last for quite a long time. i have done probaly 10,000km on mine like that, and its never opened up once, and is just about as tight as the day i put it in.

im now running roughly 300rwkw through it, and its awesome, remember, the harder you drive the lsd diff, the harder it locks up, i used to run 140rwkw through it, and it used to lock solid, if you applied a small amount of throttle while turning, especially noticeable on tight slow corners, my lsd would lock and it would skip the inside wheel around the corner

food for thought m8
ebs_4l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 09:32 PM   #19
STOKEB
NOS Induction pssssshhhhh

You can get Billet made 28spin axels or the 31 spin axels for the eseries
STOKEB - 3:7 diff gears, 3inch zorst, JMM Race Series Extractors, Custom Bottom end to suit N20, AU DEV 6 Head and Cam, Cold Air Intake, ED XR6 Manual Computer with Flash Tunner, ED XR6 Fuel reg, C10 Auto, 2800stall .
---------------------------------------------------
I LiVe My LiFe A bOtTlE aT a TiMe, FoR tHoSe 200 sQuIrTs I fEeL fReE.........pssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhh
STOKEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 09:34 PM   #20
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

do you have rough figures on how much it would cost $$$?