Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-05-2006, 07:28 AM   #1
james22
With da Warlords

Default Car Stalling

Hey guys.

Something has been going on with my AU for weeks now and is starting to me off.

Every morning when i walk outside to start my car, it will start idle for about 3 seconds and stall. If you start it again it will get close to stalling and then fix its idle up a few seconds later.

Once the car is warm it will not do it. Purely only on COLD starts.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so wtf is wrong.

:evil3:

james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2006, 07:53 AM   #2
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

try some injector cleaner...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2006, 08:12 AM   #3
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

I haven't had this problem with my AU 'yet' ! , so im not to sure for sure - but in the past on an older car issues like that would of probably been caused by a 'sticky' automatic choke / or the auto choke was buggered alltogether , sounds like something along those lines though if it won't idle when cold maybe . gl

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2006, 12:52 PM   #4
james22
With da Warlords

already tryed injector & throttle body cleaner, made no difference. It only does it when cold, if its been started for 30secs it wont do it anymore
Old 26-05-2006, 01:04 PM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Idle control solenoid might be sticking when cold ... just a thought.
Is it petrol or LPG????
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2006, 01:43 PM   #6
james22
With da Warlords

Petrol
Old 26-05-2006, 03:47 PM   #7
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

This happened to my parents car. I cleaned out the ISC after making sure it was working, tried swapping leads, plugs etc from my car to theirs, and finally they took it to a mechanic who checked the battery. The battery was holding 12 volts (just), but was not putting out enough amps. They replaced the battery and it fixed the problem.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2006, 04:00 PM   #8
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have the same problem... Bloody annoying. I got told something to do with the auto choke.. but i dunno

Future fun: 1968 Ford Galaxie 500

ten[A]cio[U]s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2006, 04:45 PM   #9
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

yeah autochoke or as JC mentioned it could even be the battery , and there is a good possibility its the battery too , cos you need also enough amps to run the ecu correctly , that few seconds of not enough amps to the ecu could cause it to not function propperlly , then the alternator kicking in a few seconds later could be backing the system back up again so to make the battery look fine , worth checking , good point JC . Is amazing how much the battery can effect newer cars compared to old 1's , as the ecu controls the lot , and it relys on the battery before anything else .

Old 26-05-2006, 05:57 PM   #10
howesy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

clean the throttle body. Thats how I used to tell it needed doing again. I live in a cold climate and in winter it was common to do it with a dirty one.
howesy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2006, 08:44 AM   #11
james22
With da Warlords

Can i check battery amps witha voltmeter? Worth looking at, i'm reasonably sure it's not my throttle body as i only cleaned it out 3 weeks ago, when i did the injectors.

Just to top it all off though, my central locking shat itself yesterday too, cant lock or unlock with the remote, can only use the key in door, and even then it will lock all doors but wont unlock them. If i want to open the other doors i have to leave my door open and hit the lock button on the console.
Old 27-05-2006, 01:38 PM   #12
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

A volt meter will only measure volts , you need a half decent multimeter to be able to read amps too . And that problem with you central locking , not being able to unlock the car could have something to do with a half dead battery too , it could be causing more problems than realised maybe , thats if it is the battery, alsmost sounds like it though with the central locking dropping out too , or very coincidental it's happened around the same time as ya other problem .

Old 27-05-2006, 03:07 PM   #13
james22
With da Warlords

thanks i'll check it out, see if thats the problem. i''ll chuck the battery on charge overnight
Old 27-05-2006, 04:19 PM   #14
tudor_01

Yep.............mate had same prob.Replaced battery and problem gone
tudor_01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2006, 06:44 AM   #15
james22
With da Warlords

Well it wasn't the battery, chucked it on charge and swapped new one out of parents XR, didnt do a bloody thing. I have no idea???
Old 29-05-2006, 04:46 PM   #16
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Not the battery huh, well i did a bit of reading about chokes on EFI, with EFI this can't happen cause there is no choke.The computer checks the water temp sensor which says I'm cold and richens the mixture by holding the injectors open longer until the car warms up, all automatic. So it aint an autochoke issue as i thought at first maybe ( on an older non EFI yeah maybe , but not in this case ). Maybe as mechanic mentioned at least check the idle solenoid next . The only other thing maybe that i could see confusing the computer is that if your water/coolant temp is getting to warm to earlly , thus making the car thinking it has warmed up and leans off on the rich mix while cold / causing stalling .

Old 29-05-2006, 09:06 PM   #17
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
A volt meter will only measure volts , you need a half decent multimeter to be able to read amps too . And that problem with you central locking , not being able to unlock the car could have something to do with a half dead battery too , it could be causing more problems than realised maybe , thats if it is the battery, alsmost sounds like it though with the central locking dropping out too , or very coincidental it's happened around the same time as ya other problem .
Alright, in another central locking thread I thought it was odd that you asked someone to check the battery!

After reading through this thread, I conceed you had a point XR6-VCT-2000 and would be worth checking. I offer you my apologies!

Oh yeah James, hope you get it sorted soon mate. BTW, when was the last time you changed batteries!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2006, 10:36 PM   #18
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

No worries GK , no need for apologies , no harm done ;) .

Old 30-05-2006, 07:09 AM   #19
james22
With da Warlords

ok, so how do i check the ISC? I thought it was generally maintenance free. The last time i changed the battery was on the weekend, swapped batt out of parents XR and chucked myne on charge. Did engine / ecu relearn procudure, then started car next morning (cold at 5am :-) same problem again. It only seems to do it when car is STONE COLD, and first started. Once it stalls it wont do it again. I'm open to any more suggesations, and as you can see i'm not afraid of pullin it apart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 001ujg.JPG (34.6 KB, 59 views)
Old 30-05-2006, 05:20 PM   #20
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the isc is that little thing in top of the throttle body, just undo the bolts and pull it off, then clean it out
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2006, 08:40 PM   #21
GK
Walking with God

Yeah that's it, it's kinda got a cylinder (chrome / silver) in colour on it with a black knob as well. Disconnect the electrical plug, undo the two 10mm bolts (S1), S2 onwards had allen keys, and pull it off. Carby cleaner will dissolve the crud and give it a go.

A 15 minute job max if it's full of crud.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2006, 10:28 AM   #22
james22
With da Warlords

Well, i finally narrowed the problem down.

My mechanic told me to try just turning the ignition to ON, so that the fuel pump would cycle before i started it. So this morning i cycled it 3 times then started it, not even a hint of the car stalling. Now i just need to narrow the problem down a bit. I cant check the fuel pressure as i dont have a gauge, and was not about to pay $150 for one that i would use only once. Anyone else got any thoughts on what to check. I'm gonna change the filter this afternoon.
Old 19-06-2006, 06:11 AM   #23
james22
With da Warlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by james22
Well, i finally narrowed the problem down.

My mechanic told me to try just turning the ignition to ON, so that the fuel pump would cycle before i started it. So this morning i cycled it 3 times then started it, not even a hint of the car stalling. Now i just need to narrow the problem down a bit. I cant check the fuel pressure as i dont have a gauge, and was not about to pay $150 for one that i would use only once. Anyone else got any thoughts on what to check. I'm gonna change the filter this afternoon.
thanks for the replys