Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 01-04-2006, 10:14 PM   #1
sirhal
Kuga TF Trend

Default If it's not one thing it's another... air con problem

Hi All,

Changed my plugs and leads last week to fix an annoying slugishness, and miss fire problem. Now my air con will not go into re-circulation mode!

I have had a look around the forums and I read a thread about an EA with a similar problem. It talks about vacuum hoses. So I grabbed my trusty socket set, removed the air intake hose and dove in.

No luck. Could not find any hoses under the bonnet that were not connected.

So I went inside and looked behind the glovebox. Yay! pretty coloured vacuum hoses. So to test the theory of the vacuum hoses being related to the air con, I removed the yellow one. Ok. Now I could not redirect the air. Excellent. Plugged it back in, started the car and I was now back in control of the air flow. However, no joy with the re-circ.

So I grabbed my screwdriver and started to attack the dash. Realising that I was probably about to spend an hour pulling everything apart, not really knowing what the hell I was going to do when I got there, I stopped, and started to write this.

Does anyone have any idea what would stop my re-circ from working?

Many thanks

Ty

sirhal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2006, 10:21 PM   #2
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

the blend door maybe faulty or theres a small lever that may have broken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2006, 10:25 PM   #3
sirhal
Kuga TF Trend

Any ideas on how to get to it without removing the entire dash? I have no idea where the intake is.

Cheers
Old 01-04-2006, 10:36 PM   #4
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

View User Gallery (1)

Weapon:Ford 82' Ute, EF 5spd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:13 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
well mine had fresh air all the time, and the fan speed slows down a bit.
I found the problem, a broken link to move the door flap.
the problem is, you have to rip the dash out to get to a $20 part!!
and because i never use the fresh air option, i decided to put a self tapper in the flap to hold it on recirculate all the time.
worked a charm, but one day i'll fix it.
The control system for Fresh/Recirc broke on my car a couple of years back : bad design apparently. Very common in E-series falcons.

When this happens, most A/C Shops will just use a screw to fasten the flap into the recirc mode so that A/C works well. cause its a bastard to replace. Needless to say I did mine without pulling the dash out and it was a fair old bit of work
From another forum mate.
but thats basically it./
Quote:
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
Old 01-04-2006, 10:37 PM   #5
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/search.php?mode=results
try the link altho you may have to register.
Quote:
Old 02-04-2006, 07:23 AM   #6
zoomzoom

the recirc vent is proberly broken
zoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2006, 08:40 AM   #7
howesy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there is a really small vacuum line on the passenger side high up on the fire wall very close to the guard. When you lokk for it among all those wires its almost impossible to see but the sucker is there. When you have you hands in around the left hand bank working on the car it is not uncommon to put a little pressure on the lines and it pops apart at the weakest poit which happens to be in the most mongrel position. Spend some good time double checking where everything goes in this area before you start pulling things apart.
howesy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2006, 09:53 PM   #8
sirhal
Kuga TF Trend

Quote:
Originally Posted by howesy
there is a really small vacuum line on the passenger side high up on the fire wall very close to the guard. When you lokk for it among all those wires its almost impossible to see but the sucker is there.
Thanks for that! I will have a look. Where does the vacuum hose originate? perhaps I can trace it from there.

Cheers
Ty
Old 23-06-2006, 11:21 PM   #9
sirhal
Kuga TF Trend

Default What a pain!

Hi All,

Well after playing with the dash for HOURS! I conceded. I then gave my old man a look just for some fresh ideas. After looking behind the glove box he noticed a big grey semi circular thing ( I thought it was the fan housing ). Turns out it is the recirc flap!! my god how p*ss*ed was I!. After behaving like contortionist, I could see that the shaft that opens and shuts the recirc flap has a little elbow piece that attaches the flap. Well this had broken. When I pressed the button the shaft moved up and down but the flap did not move.

After realising that the dashboard is created from the inside out!!!: I took svo347's advice and used a self tapping screw to hold it shut. A little squirt of silicon to seal and the job was done.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and bountiful knowledge!!
Ty