Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-06-2006, 12:47 AM   #1
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default AU projector headlights - your thoughts?

I'm tinkering with the idea of having AU projector headlights made.

Given the recent discussion re HID's etc there will probably be a market for whatever the minimum amount is that makes the venture cost effective.

I haven't taken this anywhere yet but I'm after a little feedback at this initial stage.

I'm talking about HID's and projector lense kits by the pair.

I'm not concerned about getting quality lights made. That can happen tomorrow.

I am concerned about retail pricing. Where does the price have to be to sell?
(I'm guessing that I'd offer them here first and then ebay the remainder)

What approvals will I need and how long does it take? (I can find out but does anyone know?)

What warranty is expected on retail car bits? (12 months?)

Any input appreciated.

As I said, I'm just tinkereing with the idea. There's more chance that it won't go ahead than otherwise, but from acorns oak trees grow

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 01:08 AM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The Dok already offers this service, so you would be in for some competition. Also, the HIDs tend to melt the polycarbonate lens on the stock AUs.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 01:57 AM   #3
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
The Dok already offers this service, so you would be in for some competition.
I thought that Doc was concentrating on BA/BF headlights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Also, the HIDs tend to melt the polycarbonate lens on the stock AUs.
I'm talking about having new headlights made. Not adapting currently available lights.

It will probably take 100 pairs as a minimum order (although it may be higher than that) hence my using you guys as a sounding board. I'm happy to fund it providing it make economic sense.
Old 27-06-2006, 02:47 AM   #4
HLC
Audi S3

the dok has already made some... but id like to see other designs. and id buy some for the right price too.
Old 27-06-2006, 03:10 AM   #5
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

I don't know if what im about to mention is allready on the market , but - seeing stock AU headlight are about the size of the panel around the twin headlights on the xr's anyway, It would be good to see an aftermarket XR style panel to fit into the Stock AU headlight placement ? , maybe there is allready aftermarket seperate XR style light panels that can be purchased that will fit into the stock AU headlight hole flush with the panel work ?

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 03:19 AM   #6
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
It would be good to see an aftermarket XR style panel to fit into the Stock AU headlight placement ?
yes, I agree, particularly if they were projector headlights (although I'm getting fonder of the AU headlights).

However, my involvement can only be to supply a L and R headlight to a manufacturer and let them take it from there. I haven't got the time nor talent to get involved in design work.
Old 27-06-2006, 07:21 AM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

You mean something like this:
Thanks to "The Dok" for these babies.

Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 09:40 AM   #8
5speedTE

Hey....nice lights.....

Where can i get some?
Can they be posted to Perth?
How much are they?

Thanx
Jason
* 2010 BMW 320i M Sport
5speedTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 09:42 AM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Ask "The Dok" ... from the headlight hospital.
He's a member of these forums.
He did say he was taking a break from them ... as it is a little time-consuming to just make one set of these (fiddly internals).

The Dok is in Dandenong in Victoria ... and I am certain he can post them ... I think that's how Duffman got his originally.
Old 27-06-2006, 12:03 PM   #10
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

This subject keeps popping it's head every few months. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If anyone can make replicas of the headlights that were on the 300+ Coupe (pic below), there's money to be made. Nothing.. nothing comes close.

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 03:38 PM   #11
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 012
If anyone can make replicas of the headlights that were on the 300+ Coupe (pic below), there's money to be made. Nothing.. nothing comes close.
They are very nice and I'm sure they can be made but what will people pay for them?

I'm not attempting to turn this into a personal retirement scheme. I can probably organise a "sample" pair for myself if it comes to that.

I guess I'll get a few emails away and see what transpires.

As far as you know, are they the best available pics of the 300+ Coupe lights?

They'll probably suffice for a ballpark price on X units but I may have to supply better detail at some stage.
Old 27-06-2006, 03:45 PM   #12
I6corp
Was V6corp

Gday,

I know that I'd be in Ron Especially if maybe some custome lights? i.e similar to the 300+ And going by the Doks lights, i think that we could easily give 'your' suppilar enough details to be able to create them.

Cheers
Planned Engine Mods: ; Extractors; Tickford CAI; Twin Mufflers; Shift Kit; Hi-Stall; Cam; ECU Flash
Bling Mods: Tinted Windows; JVC CD/DVD HU
Planned Bling Mods: TS50 Front; High Series bonnet; Rebel Skirts and Rear Bar; SL Springs; Clear Side Indicators; Rear Spolier; Mags
I6corp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 03:47 PM   #13
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 012
This subject keeps popping it's head every few months. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If anyone can make replicas of the headlights that were on the 300+ Coupe (pic below), there's money to be made. Nothing.. nothing comes close.
They are nice lights ! - they almost look like the guts of BA/BF headlights (the lights and reflectors) stuffed into the outer AU light lense/shell/glass cover . ??

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 03:49 PM   #14
AU:PROJECT:UTE
Drought Breaker

012 Hit the nail on the head in one go, create an available supply of the lights from the 300+ and every man and his dog would be buying a set.
Maybe find out who made those lights in the 300+ would be a good start
ALL COUNTRY: SW Platt Mccann 5 Poster, GME 4706 7' Whippys, Uniden UH015SX UHF AND Scanner combo, Narva Taurus Bull lights, Hawk Grille, Series II Pursuit Side Skirts, Stickers on the back window and more eartags than a mob of cranky angus

ALL GO: XR6 VCT donk and ECU NO MORE!!
Now even MORE fun with 200kw XR8 and 5 speed, Tickford Cluster, 3.45 LSD, full custom twin system w/- 3" chrome angle cut tips :
AU:PROJECT:UTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 03:57 PM   #15
HLC
Audi S3

if the 300+ lights were on the market, id be very poor right now.
Old 27-06-2006, 04:11 PM   #16
ronwest

From what JC says above, these will need glass lenses... yes?
Old 27-06-2006, 04:18 PM   #17
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Well ... my old HIDs ... over about 10 months ... started discolouring the polycarbonate lenses .. so yeah it would be safer to run a glass lens ... if running HID.

But if running halogen ... polycarbonate should be fine.

If looking at used HID ... you would need to use a true HID projector (Honda/BMW/Audi/Mini/Renault) for it to work correctly ... as the internals are different from a halogen porjector (like the NC Fairlane version that I have in mine).
Old 27-06-2006, 05:08 PM   #18
ronwest

thanks Mech...

yes it's HID's that I'm looking at.

One of the things that struck me about the 300+ 's lights is the two HIDs... they won't be cheap, but I shouldn't pre-empt.

I really don't have a clue what the cost will be... but it will only go ahead if I consider that they'll sell.
Old 27-06-2006, 05:17 PM   #19
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Didn't know the 300+ had HID ... they have projectors ... but i think it was a halogen globe behind it.

Don't know how well the projector would work for high beam ... it might make it a small pencil beam ... not sure how well the high beam spreads. As you see on a lot of vehicle (literally all) with projectors ... the highbeam section is still a reflector-based light.

So I don't know how successful the projector would be as a highbeam light.

All projectors run a shield in them to get the flat cut-off beam you see ... the light goes above the shield .. and the thick glass projector dome switches the light upside down (refraction ... or something along those line ... they human eye does the same thing) ... hence the beam then only lighting up under THAT line.

You could test a projector without the shield in place and see what results you get to beam pattern ... it might shine everywhere ... but it also diffuses the light slightly so you do not get the full brightness from the globe as well.

If you do fit a HID kit ... try and get a full conversion kit from a reputable car maker ... can get them from wreckers ... your best bet is getting one of the Honda models (Euro/S2000) or a BMW Bi-Xenon kit if you are lucky (incorporates high and low beam in the Xenon globe and switching as well) ... should come with complete factory harness/ballasts/relays, etc.

That part might be the expensive part.
Old 27-06-2006, 05:29 PM   #20
ronwest

oh, ok, I'm way out of my depth here.

I won't be of any use to them a technical sense. It will really be as simple as "how much for that?... and what is it?" lol

What I should do is talk to the manufacture and see what comes of it.
Old 27-06-2006, 09:49 PM   #21
fish
Starter Motor

i would love to change the front light i really don't like them.
Tryed to get some from the DOK, but he is not making any more and he has sold his last pair. been looking for the head light from the TS50 but they cost to much.

Does any one no any one how can paint the inside of the light for now till some thing better come out,
fish is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 10:35 PM   #22
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish
i would love to change the front light i really don't like them.
Tryed to get some from the DOK, but he is not making any more and he has sold his last pair. been looking for the head light from the TS50 but they cost to much.

Does any one no any one how can paint the inside of the light for now till some thing better come out,
check the workshop on aufalcon.com
Old 27-06-2006, 10:56 PM   #23
fish
Starter Motor

i checked a while back, not sure if i want to do it my self. don't want to stuff it up.
fish is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post