Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 13-07-2006, 05:26 PM   #1
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Under the bonnet, trying to keep as clean as above!
Default head gaskets which one do you use?

hi all,

well i did a search and got a real good result but got a few extra questions now that i need answered please.

1. what head gasket do you reccommend for the 4.0l? head machined and block decked.

2. are all the au series's head gaskets multi layed steel?

3. when using a multi layed au gasket do you need to use au head bolts, or will the e-series bolts do?

thanks
pete j

EB Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 05:32 PM   #2
BI6TIM
SnortPerformance.com

Forget the AU head gaskit. Go with the graphite one, the name of which I can't remember. I have one in my car. I did the head myself in the garage and took it to powercruise a week later and thrashed the craper out of it and haven't had any problems to date.
BI6TIM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 05:39 PM   #3
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BI6TIM
Forget the AU head gaskit. Go with the graphite one, the name of which I can't remember. I have one in my car. I did the head myself in the garage and took it to powercruise a week later and thrashed the craper out of it and haven't had any problems to date.

where abouts would i be able to pay money, inturn recieving this 'graphite head gasket' my good sir?
Old 13-07-2006, 06:20 PM   #4
Sweet_EL_

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB Pete
where abouts would i be able to pay money, inturn recieving this 'graphite head gasket' my good sir?
yeah thats a good question... where do you them from??
Sweet_EL_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 06:29 PM   #5
BI6TIM
SnortPerformance.com

You should be able to get them from any engineer or engine builder.
I get mine from Browns Engineering in Lawnton because he does my heads and stuff.
Old 13-07-2006, 06:46 PM   #6
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BI6TIM
You should be able to get them from any engineer or engine builder.
I get mine from Browns Engineering in Lawnton because he does my heads and stuff.

righto then. so i ask for a 'graphite head gasket'? hope they got one cause if not the acl head gascket is going on!
Old 13-07-2006, 07:27 PM   #7
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

hey im an automotive machinist/engineer and we only use the graphite gaskets they are very good had no dramas with them, we use durapro ones we get them from precision motorsport only sell to trade. put only straight water in for the first day and then coolant to allow the gasket to seal it self, same goes for all gaskets. hope it helps. durapro also make headbolts and are far better then ford crap.
NeishaXR8_347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 07:37 PM   #8
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by neishaxr8
hey im an automotive machinist/engineer and we only use the graphite gaskets they are very good had no dramas with them, we use durapro ones we get them from precision motorsport only sell to trade. put only straight water in for the first day and then coolant to allow the gasket to seal it self, same goes for all gaskets. hope it helps. durapro also make headbolts and are far better then ford crap.
thanks heaps for that. well i have allready got the ford e series head bolts. will they be good enough? so if i just go to the engineering place that did my motor and ask for a graphite gasket i should be right? and finally with the water do i drop it after the day or so and put in collent then?
Old 13-07-2006, 07:48 PM   #9
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

yes the new bolts will be ok as long as they are new the durapro ones just have the thread 3/4 of the bolt and the ford 1's about a 1/4 having more thread shifts the load point of the bolt and therefor its stronger. and after the day of running with water drop it when its cool and then put good coolant i recommend tectaloy's anti freeze anti boil. and the thermostat i recomm is a 170 not 195 like they recommend.
Old 13-07-2006, 07:50 PM   #10
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

trade price the bolts either permaseal or durapro they are only $22 how much are fords?
Old 13-07-2006, 07:53 PM   #11
BI6TIM
SnortPerformance.com

Quote:
and the thermostat i recomm is a 170 not 195 like they recommend.
Why is that neishaxr8, I'm interested to know what benefit there is in the cooler thermostat?
Old 13-07-2006, 08:04 PM   #12
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

umm a longer surviving head gasket i believe sir. they run at about 97degrees which is dam hot i have a xr8 and i had a 180 now have a 160 and its more responsive. that is why when your engine is getting to 97 and its about 80 it feels more snappier under throttle. and it also helps your computer stay more stable with tuning side and keeps engine obviously cooler which means less heat soak and cooler inlet manifold. you might not think 15 degrees isnt much but that 15deg could mean overheating or not. just my findings. ford ran these engines hotter to get good economy same as light oils they dont do it to benifit you only themselves.
Old 13-07-2006, 08:33 PM   #13
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
trade price the bolts either permaseal or durapro they are only $22 how much are fords?
bout 85 for the 14. what does the 170 and 195 mean with the thermostat?
Old 13-07-2006, 09:12 PM   #14
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

fahrenheit: 195 = 91celsius plus about 5 deg so about 96celsius
: 170 = 75celsius plus about 5 so its only 80 deg much safer and still hot enough to regard as normal op temp. will still be in the normal on guage.
Old 14-07-2006, 07:08 AM   #15
BI6TIM
SnortPerformance.com

Oh thanks neisha, it's good to have a guy like you around who know's his business and is also willing to share. Thanks mate, very helpfull.
Old 14-07-2006, 07:22 AM   #16
EF_Frmnt
Banned

Are you able to get these graphite gaskets in thicker than normal for decompressing..? Otherwise im stickin with the two AU headgaskets
EF_Frmnt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 06:43 PM   #17
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i went to the engineering place that did me block and they gave me an ACL head gasket set (not sure about it either). but he said it was the graphite based head gasket. i had a look on the ACL web site and it says they do multi layed steel, graphite, and some other type head gasket. its a monotorque brand so what do you think?
Old 14-07-2006, 10:49 PM   #18
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

we have used monotorque ones before and had no dramas but im not sure if its 100% graphite just have a look at it and see if it looks shiney dark grey and has like little flakes on the edges. acl from mem have the water jacket blue beads around them to help it to stick.
Old 22-07-2006, 10:21 PM   #19
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well i have bought the standard replacement, multi layered AU and the graphite head gasket. just deciding on which one to use. if i go the AU head gasket is it just a straigt install or does it need a sealent?
Old 23-07-2006, 10:45 AM   #20
old_mate
Smash the Boost

how much for the graphite one? Last AU gasket install i witnessed, dude lightly coated it in that gold stuff (hysol maybe? not sure) but i think it was on the block side only

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2006, 06:03 PM   #21
Gunns
Banned

Use the AU gasket, and never have to do another one again.
Gunns is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2006, 07:14 PM   #22
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah i think i'll go the au head gasket. what sorta sealent do you use on it, if any?
Old 24-07-2006, 12:21 AM   #23
ebs_4l

use the au one... no sealants.

i used a graphite acl race one a while ago, it was s.hit, leaked coolant in 5days, threw in the bin and fitted the au one... bobs ya uncle

oh, and my car, even with the turbo, coolant temp sits on 90-92 deg. you must have had a blocked radiator for it to sit on 97deg....
EB 4L, 8.4:1, GT3540r, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold and plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, 600x300x100 cooler, Surecam custom turbo grind, autronic SM4, siemens 72lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, Innovate LM-1, Turbosmart Street Reg, bosch 044, turbosmart 48mm w/gate and v-port BOV. 335.8rwkw 1bar
ebs_4l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post