Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 23-07-2006, 02:52 PM   #1
bigbennyb
1995 EF Fairmont

Exclamation My New EF Fairmont

Hey guys, I've always been interested in the Ford Forums, reading about Falcons etc, but never actually owned a Ford. Now I've finally got one. After owning a Volkswagen, Datsun, Nissan and recently writing off my Mazda 929 Coupe, I bought a:

1995 EF Fairmont

White

ONLY 76,000 kms on the clock

All stock standard

Mechanically the car is fine, makes no odd noises, gearbox shifts smoothly (car belonged an auto electrician - light use as loan car)

Interior: 95% good, clean, everything works except ECON light stays on whether switch is on or not

Exterior: Probably 80%, couple of marks on front and rear bumpers, rear bumper not flush with body panels on sides, 3 small dents on edge of bootlid, alloy wheels a bit untidy, needs new antenna and headlights are beginning to yellow

I wasnt too worried with the appearance of the vehicle as I only paid $4500 for it, so I think I did OK.

Will try to have some pictures up sometime.

I've been looking all over the forums, finding out plenty of things I wanted to know, but I just have a couple of things I still need to find out

QUESTIONS:

Does the Fairmont have 6 or 8 speakers. I thought there was 8, but can only locate 6 - 2 rear, 2 front door, 2 top of dash - can anyone help?

How much a new set of headlights would cost?

If anyone has an SS inductions cold air intake and a premium air filter on their car, I would like to know if these mods are worth it for actual performance/economy gains?

What other INEXPENSIVE and easy to do mods should I consider doing first? (I'm a uni student so don't have heaps of money to throw at the car, but want to do some things to make the car better)

Is there anything apart from not driving the car that you can do to improve fuel economy? My trip computer says I'm doing between 16-18 in town driving. A couple of trips along Southern Cross Drive and the M5 East and it can go down to 14-15, but is there anything that can be done to improve the economy around town?

If you can provide me with any help, I'd appreciate it.

bigbennyb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2006, 09:15 AM   #2
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbennyb
Does the Fairmont have 6 or 8 speakers. I thought there was 8, but can only locate 6 - 2 rear, 2 front door, 2 top of dash - can anyone help?
I'm pretty sure only the Ghia got the 250W 9 speaker premium sound.
Quote:
How much a new set of headlights would cost?
I paid $550 for a brand new pair of EF/EL/NF/NL headlights with plastic headlight protectors thrown in.
Quote:
If anyone has an SS inductions cold air intake and a premium air filter on their car, I would like to know if these mods are worth it for actual performance/economy gains?
I have a K&N Filter with a EL GT intake snorkel. To be honest I find it barely noticeable, although I know of others that have reported gains.
Quote:
What other INEXPENSIVE and easy to do mods should I consider doing first? (I'm a uni student so don't have heaps of money to throw at the car, but want to do some things to make the car better)
Lowering is always the first thing I would do to a Falcon. After that I would look at exhaust mods.
Quote:
Is there anything apart from not driving the car that you can do to improve fuel economy? My trip computer says I'm doing between 16-18 in town driving. A couple of trips along Southern Cross Drive and the M5 East and it can go down to 14-15, but is there anything that can be done to improve the economy around town?
Make sure it has good leads and plugs. Also check that the thermostat is working properly so that the car isn't running rich all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2006, 10:29 PM   #3
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Welcome buddy!

As fairmont lights are different to falcon you will proberbly pay more for them but dont dispair because if you truly want to modify and play with your new purchase i would start by doing a very easy and inexpensive visual improvement that will save you hundreds of dollars.

Go to your nearest hardware store and buy 800, 1200, 2000 grade wet and dry sand paper, about 3 or 4 of each should do.
Then remove your headlights from the car and with small circles and lots of water, start rubbing the top layer of yellow crap off of your plastic lenses.
Use the most coarse paper first and gradually go finer until all the yellow is gone.
Then polish them with a good polish and they will look good as new.
(It may take a while but will save you heaps of cash and btw the slower and more attention to detail you take, the better the final product.)
Good luck
Steve.

If you get stuck use the search function as its been discussed many times on here.

As for the speakers i believe they class two way speakers as two seperate speakers so the rears would be 4 and then the rest.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2006, 03:36 PM   #4
bigbennyb
1995 EF Fairmont

thanks for the help guys
tried to do the sanding and polishing of headlights today, gotta say it didnt work that well, so might have to get a new set

if any one else can offer me some advice (see 1st message), id really appreciate it
bigbennyb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post