Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-07-2006, 07:10 PM   #1
xr8edute
Thats right baby X-rated

Default PT Cruiser

Member of my family just bought a new PT Cruiser. Just was wondering...

what does the PT stand for.

Sorry if it is a stupid question. :

Cheers

RIP The Gentleman, Peter Brock 1945-2006
I cant believe they demolished that fatefull tree!!!
xr8edute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 07:28 PM   #2
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Thats a good question actually, but what i wana no is why we dont get the 3ltr turbo 6 or v8 version here in aus!
Old 26-07-2006, 07:39 PM   #3
HTCURRY

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8edute
Member of my family just bought a new PT Cruiser. Just was wondering...

what does the PT stand for.

Sorry if it is a stupid question. :

Cheers
I looked it up on the net...hehe your question made me curious.

According to wikipedia the answer is:

Quote:
Officially, the "PT" stands for "Personal Transportation," but the initials also designate the car's platform. The Neon was based on the Chrysler PL platform, or "Platform Low," while the Cruiser was based on the Chrysler PT platform, for "Platform Tall." "PT" was also the production code for the PT Cruiser.
HTCURRY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 08:34 PM   #4
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVO_XR6
Thats a good question actually, but what i wana no is why we dont get the 3ltr turbo 6 or v8 version here in aus!
We don't get them here as they don't exist. The biggest engine is a 2.4 litre 4 cylinder turbo.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 08:37 PM   #5
Rob
Living the dream

Im a Chrysler salesman actually, and for what its worth, the PT is actually a friggin solid car, built real tough. Excellent build quality too, but jeez they drink some juice. We typically see fuel consumption near the 10L/100Km mark.

Otherwise, the PT's are great. Solid, reliable and versatile in the extreme. Need any info, PM me.

Cheers.

EDIT: RE: the different engine sizes, the 2.4 turbo is correct, although I had a bloke come in a while ago telling me his mate spent $100,000+ on his PT... put a GEN III and converted it to AWD. Bollocks if you ask me.. but some people out there... who knows.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 08:40 PM   #6
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are they all still front wheel drive???
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 08:45 PM   #7
Rob
Living the dream

Yeah they're FWD. A 300C can turn inside them you know... the turning circle of a PT is a standing joke in Chrysler circles.... :
Old 26-07-2006, 08:48 PM   #8
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I still reckon they look like a Toyota Tarago superglued to the top of a hot rod subframe....
A friend of mine just purchased one and i couldn't believe they are still front wheel drive, hopefully Chyrysler may get cluey and go RWD...
Old 26-07-2006, 08:54 PM   #9
Rob
Living the dream

Dodge Caliber is coming out shortly, its front wheel drive, but they look real nice. Cant divulge too many details, but I reckon it'll be a good thing. Also we're getting a Vectra/Mazda 6 competitor soon, the Sebring. FWD also. Yank influence there. At least the 300C is RWD, and handles to boot!

Uh.. we're also expecting delivery of an SRT-8 version of the grand cherokee.. 6.1lt V8 Jeep... : Can you say FUEL CONSUMPTION?
Old 26-07-2006, 09:01 PM   #10
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought the definition of Chrysler was "Fuel Consumption" What are we expecting something well over 15L/100 again???
Old 26-07-2006, 09:03 PM   #11
Rob
Living the dream

You're not far off, sadly. Grand Cherokee/Commander with the 4.7 or the 5.7 HEMI are around the 17-19L/100km... just imagine 6.1L 300kw ~ in a 2 tonne jeep! Fantastic cars mind you, just American fuel consumption. We've got 3.0 turbo diesels too, 160kw 510nm, basically as is from MercedesBenz, they're awesome motors, especially in the 300C, they really hammer.
Old 26-07-2006, 09:04 PM   #12
XR6Gal
Just Super Happy now :)

My sister has a PT Cruiser, she absolutely loves it!

PhantomBA XR6 (Sold), now a VW owner (don't hold it against me )

& also a CM Valiant Wagon, gotta love the old Val's
see her progress here
NOW SOLD :( but now have a
Honda CBR250 Motorbike
XR6Gal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 09:07 PM   #13
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are companies in America that hot PT's up.
The Chrysler GT Cruiser concept vehicle has a more muscular look which accents its 205 hp, 225 lb.-ft. turbocharged engine - an engine which can actually perform the way the PT Cruiser looks.

The main engineering issues are the space and heat required by a turbocharger. Others have created aftermarket kits that fit under the hood, but Chrysler needs to ensure that any system sold through their dealers will last as long as owners expect - well over 100,000 miles - without major repairs, peeling hoods, etc., that enthusiasts might be willing to endure. We are not sure why they are not considering superchargers, which would make the heat issue irrelevant.

Kenneth Carlson, the designer responsible for the GT Cruiser, said: "Lowering the vehicle by one inch and widening the track by two inches resulted in its athletic stance. Removing the badges from the hood and deck and integrating the bumpers in the facias give the vehicle a clean front and rear appearance. In addition, the badges are incorporated in the grille and rear license plate brow, in effect minimizing the number of design elements."

Flares on the fenders make space for bigger wheels.

The 2.4-liter turbocharged engine is coupled to a five-speed manual transaxle. The lowered suspension uses KONI struts and upgraded sway bars. The vehicle rolls on 17" chrome wheels with 215/45 tires
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 09:10 PM   #14
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The ultimate 'mid-life-crisis' vehicle....

But credit where credit is due, i know a few people with chryslers, old and new, and can't say a bad word about them... (apart from the fuel consumption which closet chrysler fans deny anyway!)

My only thing is parts would have to be an absolute killer for PTs and even 300s
Old 26-07-2006, 09:32 PM   #15
Rob
Living the dream

That thing is HIDEOUS....... : :
Old 26-07-2006, 09:48 PM   #16
Kryton

i personally think the PT could have done a lot better here in Aus if it was rear wheel drive, had a decent KW 6 cylinder and an option V8 engine.
i dont really have a problem with 4 bangers (as they can put out insane power) but the front wheel drive concept will just never catch on with me personally. there are generations that feel the same way. i guess you can blame that on Aussie Motorsport to some degree.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 12:16 PM   #17
revhead24ads

My mum has a PT Cruiser, and we just went to Central Australia in it and did over 6000km towing a trailer. It's the old 2.0L motor. Once they reach about 20K they loosen up and thats whats happened with ours. I really noticed the differance and she was a really nice car to drive. The leather seats are abit uncomfortable but maybe thats because im used to my Falcon's bucket seats.lol. But the PT has lots of fans and lots of critics, im a member of the Chrysler Restorers Club Of Australia and there are a few PT's starting to appear in the club as older members like my mum sell their Valiants and get modern (not that there is anything wrong with a Valiant!). The retro styling giving them what we call HTP (Head Turning Power)

Craig is my hero.
Jaimie's my mate,
Rick's lost his lolly bag,
so GO Triple Eight!
revhead24ads is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 05:59 PM   #18
max
LWBforME

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC
That thing is HIDEOUS....... : :
Yeah... I reckon! Frankly I don't much like the PT's at all. Its the 'retro' thing, more a fashion statement. I can understand girls liking them. The resurrection thing just doesn't cut it with me. E,g, Mini, VW beetle. These 21st century recreations are much bigger than the original body design, and just don't have the spirit and character.
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 07:47 PM   #19
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Is the SRT4 version of the Caliber coming out here? The old Neon versions were very quick with the aftermarket hot up kits. Even if they were unrefined and a bit torque-steery they were still pretty damn quick.

Re: FWD you’ve got to think that the main buyers for PT’s are concerned with space efficiency above other things. If that is the case than FWD is definitely right for this car. FWD v RWD? I’d rather have a well set-up FWD than a poorly set-up RWD anyday.

Wasn’t there rumoured to be a whole range of PTs that would’ve been made available and would’ve saved the troubled Plymouth division before it went under? So far we have seen the PT, PT turbo and convertible (and some yucky self-adhesive “woody” versions).
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 07:55 PM   #20
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Theres a mob in the US that put a Viper V10 in the back and made it RWD.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 08:15 PM   #21
cwhast

I think 'PT' came from Pronto Cruizer (see 1999 Geneva Auto Show), the concept on which is was based.
I'm also looking forward to the Chrysler Sebring and Dodge Caliber.

Last edited by cwhast; 27-07-2006 at 09:05 PM.
cwhast is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post