Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 08-08-2006, 11:10 PM   #1
metallisam
Starter Motor

Default Brighter Rear Lights

I recently sprayed my rear lights with that 'night shade' stuff, and it looks sweet as. But the thing is its way too dark, i.e. not road legal. I was wondering if anyone knew how i could get brighter rear lights coz my dad reckons that just putting in bulbs with higher current would **** the system.

Wondering if anyone had any ideas coz i dont wanna go back to the old ones or put in those really bad looking altezza lights. I have an EL btw.

Cheers

Sam

metallisam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2006, 11:12 PM   #2
XzLr8
Banned

i wouldnt see how brighter bulbs would f*** the system depends on what size battery ur running, thats the first thing i would do because thats probably the only thing you could do except for remove a couple of coats of night shade.
XzLr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2006, 11:20 PM   #3
NC_GHIA
FirstOnRaceDay

night shade???? is it like tinting for your brake lights?? if so were do I buy it...
NC_GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2006, 11:26 PM   #4
LUXO_8
windsor user

tail light's and tail light / brake light wiring is only designed to run low wattage globes........ running higher wattage globes anywhere generates heat............it'll stuff your tail lights and melt wiring...

i would get another set of tail lights and not tint them as dark.........
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2006, 11:29 PM   #5
Sick EB
ORSM Ford Cruisers

i wanted to do that with my eb but my dad decided he wanted to be tight and silicone the hole f***ing light onto the body of the car because there was a water leak inside to boot. he used a whole tube of silicon. (it dosnt leak now) but iff i want to get the light off now i will have to basically smash it off lol.

on the subject i think brighter globes may stuff up the system

Matt
Sick EB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2006, 10:59 AM   #6
Quicklier
Perfecting the 1-2 change

Couldn't you cut the silicone? It's not exactly cement...
Old 09-08-2006, 12:54 PM   #7
sven

higher gauge wiring, higher current globe. should work fine. as with melting the wires. the fuse would blow first.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:57 PM   #8
NC_GHIA
FirstOnRaceDay

I seen this do it your self tinting stuff at repco was thinking of getting it and doing the brakes lights.

Do it or don't do it?
Old 09-08-2006, 01:05 PM   #9
Quicklier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sven
higher gauge wiring, higher current globe. should work fine. as with melting the wires. the fuse would blow first.
I don't think they're going to start rewiring the car just to have brighter brake lights. You'd need to re-wire from the battery to the rear lights and operate it via a relay. You could possibly run something pretty high in Wattage, but it would melt the plastic fairly quickly.

Why not try some LED lights? Get the white ones, not the red ones. They're $20-ish bucks each, but might do the trick. Higher wattage bulbs will also take a few milliseconds to light up and go dark, so not ideal for brake lights.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure tinting your rearward facing lights is illegal. You may want to check this out before spending any more money on the "mod".
Old 09-08-2006, 02:21 PM   #10
ON_DUBS
[ON DUBS]

i remember reading something about wiring the rear parkers to come on with the brake lights....

you could also do an LED conversion
Old 09-08-2006, 03:25 PM   #11
Quicklier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAIRMONT4.0
i remember reading something about wiring the rear parkers to come on with the brake lights....
That would have been over on fordmods.com not that I'm advocating you visit that site.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:07 PM   #12
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

hey i tinted my tailights on my eb months and months ago and iv never had any trouble with cops (even tho iv just jinxed myself now!!!!!) i used the same stuff - night shade. works a treat and looks so much better.

my parents were complaining about the lights not being visible, even tho they are, so anyway i went down to autobarn and picked up some halagen globes, same wattage, just brighter. iv only got the halagens in the blinker spots *** i cant get any for the brakes.

im not too worried about it tho, iv travelled behind my car in another car and its absolutly fine, just as visible as any other car, even in the day!!

cheers
braden
Old 09-08-2006, 05:10 PM   #13
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I had it on my previous car, but it was not the darkest tint going around, like every VR/VS commy you see.

Have you tried to LIGHTLY sanding it off? Not to sure how it would go but better trying that before buying new tail lights.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 12:19 PM   #14
sven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicklier
I don't think they're going to start rewiring the car just to have brighter brake lights. You'd need to re-wire from the battery to the rear lights and operate it via a relay. You could possibly run something pretty high in Wattage, but it would melt the plastic fairly quickly.

Why not try some LED lights? Get the white ones, not the red ones. They're $20-ish bucks each, but might do the trick. Higher wattage bulbs will also take a few milliseconds to light up and go dark, so not ideal for brake lights.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure tinting your rearward facing lights is illegal. You may want to check this out before spending any more money on the "mod".
yeah i'm sure rewiring the car would be a last resort. just saying it would work. the LED lights would work a treat. cant believe i didn't think of that. i love LED's!! should be able to pick up something from JAYCAR or somewhere similar as a cluster.
Also pretty sure it is illegal but its one of those things a cop wouldn't get you for unless you did something to really **** them off.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:56 PM   #15
EFaug94
Starter Motor

Guys,

Using higher watage bulbs will draw more current, two things two think about-

1) The current wiring is NOT designed to withstand more current than the norm.

2) Your fuse will blow as that is the job of the fuse, to stop extra current draw against your power source.

I would be looking at using a LED setup as they quite offten output nore light (Lum/Lux) and draw alot less current :voldar02:
EFaug94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 05:04 PM   #16
NC_GHIA
FirstOnRaceDay

^^^^

As it already been adressed

your a bit late...
Old 10-08-2006, 08:14 PM   #17
GREERZ_04_BA
Dude.Sweet.Dude.Sweet

ive sprayed (tinted) my tail lights and u can see my brake light fine.
the only thing i hate are the people who tint there brake light in the back window..
u didnt do that did u.:

www.myspace.com/greerz86
GREERZ_04_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 08:36 PM   #18
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREERZ_92_EB
ive sprayed (tinted) my tail lights and u can see my brake light fine.
the only thing i hate are the people who tint there brake light in the back window..
u didnt do that did u.:
i havent seen that done but theres no need to, its not noticible unlike the taillights that look pretty average in the standard colours!
Old 10-08-2006, 08:48 PM   #19
ORSMEB
Steve

Hey BradensEBxr6,
Could you post some nice shots of your lights so I can see if I want to do it or not...
Cheers.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:01 PM   #20
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

here you go mate!

tell me what you think.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:11 PM   #21
efgiar
rofl copter

to brighter ur tail lights, put some extra bulbs in! run it off a relay tho and run a power wire from the battery (and a 10 amp fuse) to the tail ights, either run extra bulbs like the factory ones, or fit half a dozen red leds in the tail light

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 10:52 PM   #22
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

ive put 130 watt driving light globes into my high beams. no fuse blowing or anything. i can have the beam lights on for 3.5 hours straight and all is fine!!

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2006, 10:06 PM   #23
ORSMEB
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradensEBxr6
here you go mate!

tell me what you think.
Thanks for posting the pics Branden, but sory, I don't think I like them. I don't know what it is that I don't like, but they just don't do it for me...I like the stock look with some polish on them to make them shine up like your paint work. Did you also paint your centre plastic garnish? It looks a mater finish than the stock.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:30 AM   #24
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-6000
Thanks for posting the pics Branden, but sory, I don't think I like them. I don't know what it is that I don't like, but they just don't do it for me...I like the stock look with some polish on them to make them shine up like your paint work. Did you also paint your centre plastic garnish? It looks a mater finish than the stock.
yeh some photos dont do it much justice, the first photo is how it normally looks (fully black), the second photo has heaps of light and dosnt come up black properly.
yeh i did a quick job of the centre garnish in matte black, its pretty dodgey tho but uh-well!! one day i'll get it done properly.

i love the full black strip look but i guess its all personal likings. im not a fan of the standard lights, looks crapy with the centre garnish being a almost grey/black colour.

cheers
braden
Old 12-08-2006, 06:33 PM   #25
ORSMEB
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradensEBxr6
im not a fan of the standard lights, looks crapy with the centre garnish being a almost grey/black colour.
Couldn't agree more! I've got some photo's mine where the middle garnish looks grey and I'm thinking.. what the!
I'll have to see it in person to give a real comment then I spose. You coming tonight?
Old 12-08-2006, 06:59 PM   #26
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-6000
Couldn't agree more! I've got some photo's mine where the middle garnish looks grey and I'm thinking.. what the!
I'll have to see it in person to give a real comment then I spose. You coming tonight?
yeh looks a lot better in person, especially when its just been cleaned and polished!

coming where tonight?
where you from?