Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 18-08-2006, 11:57 AM   #1
flathead 276

Default oil problem

good day fella's,
I have a problem that someone here may shed some light on. My fathers ea fairmont is taking oil from the sump into radiator. Compression test indicates no head gasket trouble, no water in oil in sump or around rocker cover, no vapour out exhaust when running, is running nice & smooth on all six cylinders. A real head scratcher. Thanks in advance.

flathead 276 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 12:09 PM   #2
EA2BA
PM me if you want

I bet its an Auto, and that oil is actually transmission fluid.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 12:49 PM   #3
Gunns
Banned

what he said ^^^^^^
Gunns is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 02:40 PM   #4
flathead 276

Thanks, but oil is being lost from sump, sorry my fault, I should have posted that. Have been for a drive in car can't fault it, will check transmission fluid anyway, at the moment, car is not using oil where as before it required 3 litres to top it up yesterday.
Old 18-08-2006, 02:45 PM   #5
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

How do you know the oil is ending up in the radiator? If it was leaking engine oil into the radiator, then it would be doing the reverse, leaking coolant into the sump, and making the oil very milky.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 04:41 PM   #6
flathead 276

Header tank for radiator is where oil is ending up, oil is not milky it is normal. A most unusual problem, I know it should be doing the reverse. That would make sense this does not. That is the reason for this thread, has this happened to anyone else? If it has what was the cause? And how did you stop the problem?
Old 18-08-2006, 05:16 PM   #7
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Its an old EA, how much oil is it actually using, old engines use oil.

I still say the oil is trans fluid.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 10:52 PM   #8
flathead 276

Update, egine oil now starting to show signs of water, not milky but can see the change. EA2BA transmission fluid OK, engine has 320.000 kms on it, does not use as much oil as you would think, if any at all. It would appear that dad caught it just in time, at this point a head gasket replacement is required. Will do it tomorrow, it appears as if the symptoms I described are an early onset indication of things to come if he had not pulled over to read a text message on his trip to Sydney, who knows what could have happened, thank you to all who replied, EA2BA you have helped me before in regards to my fathers car, cheers mate.
Old 20-08-2006, 06:41 PM   #9
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

Sounds more like a CRAcked head, Defently get the head crack tested when its off
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post