Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 13-03-2005, 06:40 PM   #31
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

what a complete load of sh!t...I cant believe that!

So even if you get engineers certificates, the lot, you can still get done?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2005, 06:42 PM   #32
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
what a complete load of sh!t...I cant believe that!

So even if you get engineers certificates, the lot, you can still get done?
In a word..Yes

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2005, 06:46 PM   #33
LUXO_8
windsor user

yup, sucks dont it
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2005, 06:52 PM   #34
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

of course, if they want they can do anyone in any car for just about anything. Hell, I've heard of people getting the yellow sticker for not having the window washer bottle filled up. If its engineer certified they probably wont do you...but they can.

Last edited by Casper; 13-03-2005 at 06:53 PM.
Old 13-03-2005, 06:54 PM   #35
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep thats right if they want to do you they will.

I guess we can say that we are lucky compared to import drivers though.
Old 13-03-2005, 06:56 PM   #36
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

It is probably important to note that, in most cases, the police have better things to do so usually if oyu behave on the roads and the mods are not over the top (blower out the hood or intercooler hanging 6" out the front of the car) they will just leave you alone. As Dan said, imports and cars lowered to rediculous hights seen to draw the majority of attention...

Old 13-03-2005, 07:30 PM   #37
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i would have thought, that if you have an engineers report with emissions tested and certified and the car is roadworthy then you would be safe.

if this is not the case then why would anyone bother to engineer a car properly, i know its gunna cost about a grand to engineer mine so it would want to be insurable and legal after that expense.
deankdx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2005, 07:32 PM   #38
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does that include emission testing? Can you use an aftermarket computer?
Old 13-03-2005, 07:42 PM   #39
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

aftermarket computer can be used... but to get it approved by EPA you have to pay for it to get tested.. approx $3000 a go pass or fail.
As for getting an eng cert, it is still worth it. If the police pull you over and ask then a Cert will usually be enough to ensure they are satisfied with the mods. No Cert will probably mean a sticker.
Of course, even with the Cert, they can pull you up if they want. Its not fair but it is the case. All you need is a split wiper blade or a stone chip in the headlight and they can do you if they REALLY want to go that far.

Old 13-03-2005, 08:19 PM   #40
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansedgli
Does that include emission testing? Can you use an aftermarket computer?
no emissions test if std ecu fitted as in my case. makes it easier if you use a motor and ecu that were available in australia if its an import engine as mine is. lexus LS400 equivalent
deankdx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2005, 10:11 PM   #41
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Hmmm ive read about several cars being fully engineered with aftermarket ECU and all, im not so sure they would all have payed $3000 for teh test not including dyno tuning time to ensure the emmissions were alright.

One of them was a twin-turbo V8 Celica (SPEED mag), the guy said it was all about how you approach the authorities and how competent you/your engineer is/are. He was an EPA inspector himself...

It just sounds like a pretty expensive bullshit bribe since both parties know full well that the minute youre out the door youll be uploading new maps to make power instead of farting green-friendly gases.

In regards to cops and engineering certification, i was under the impression that you could still get done for unsafe defects like wheels and windscreen or the other myriad bs defects, but the motor was safe. I mean if they say you cant have a blow-off valve and a pod filter and you engineered your fully worked 4ltr turbo youll just have to pay a trip to teh Vicroads office to get it cleared with the certificate right?
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2005, 09:51 AM   #42
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Dan, dan you're a lucky man! I'm dreading the day Mr plod asks me to pop the bonnet....

Stuff like the CAPA kits are "legal" in the sense that the car must get the OK from an engineer... I think a bit easier with bolt on kits as your engineer can call supplier's engineer and get the low-down. But as noted, this doesnt protect you from anyone or anything.... its a mug's game.