Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 14-03-2005, 02:29 PM   #1
Oli-G
Starter Motor

Default EB, what can I do to it?

Hey guys

I bought an EB 9 months ago, it had 75,000 on the clock. It now has 93.

So its fairly young.

I'll be driving it for a couple of years yet, so just wondering what you fellas suggest I do to it, to sweeten the deal a little. I know not a lot about cars at all, so it'll be a bit of a learning curve.

So far its just dropped with pedders springs, clear indicator lights and tinted. A little lacking dosh for nice wheels etc at the moment but we'll get there.

So what can I do to it? Any airbox suggestions, or mod tutorials floating around with pics that I can take a look at? Wouldn't mind getting a little more kick outta it.

Cheers!
Oli-G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2005, 02:38 PM   #2
Oli-G
Starter Motor

Another thing... whats with the head gasket? Can I really expect the thing to blow at around 100,000, and have to fork out $800 odd for a new one?

cheers
Old 14-03-2005, 02:43 PM   #3
Walkinshaw
Two > One

93,000k sounds like your on to a damn good thing. My car is 5yrs newer than an EB and has 150k!

Sounds like you have done the smart cheapish things first (lights, lowering and tint)

Air box isnt realy worth playing with, mabey an EA box==>TB hose and an XH snorkel (for looks and SLIGHTLY better airflow).

Next you have to ask, well i cant afford everything, do i want grace/looks or speed. Many here have taken one or the other, with some VERY well presented/modified vehciles, then some with damn quick times over out and out looks. Its all personal prefrence.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2005, 02:47 PM   #4
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli-G
Another thing... whats with the head gasket? Can I really expect the thing to blow at around 100,000, and have to fork out $800 odd for a new one?
The actually headgasket doesn't cost much at all. Less than $50. Though sadly if you take it to a mechanic to get replaced you will be looking at about $800 for the labor cost and having the head shaved etc.

If you can swing a spanner you would save a packet by doing it yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2005, 02:52 PM   #5
Oli-G
Starter Motor

^ Thats comforting to hear! I hand built the seats for all the kenworth trucks for a year, so spanner swingin shouldnt be a problem, but im always thingy about fiddling with stuff like car mechanicals. I have this idea im gonna screw it up and then be in the sh*t. Is it really that do-able? Would most of you guys here do it yourself? What is the worst case scenario of a crap job?

@Walkinshaw - cheers dude. The car is pretty clean/straight, so I may just opt for whatever minor performance mods I can do at the moment.

Last edited by Oli-G; 14-03-2005 at 02:53 PM.
Old 14-03-2005, 04:55 PM   #6
needturbo6
ooga-lagga-ligga-lagga

as your handy with cutting things up, with the XH snorkel (from ford ~$35) cut the middle bit out and make it into 1 hole instead of 2 small pipe thingys.

a 2.5" exhaust always gives a good increase and note. Advance the timing to 16 degrees and run it on premuim unleaded or a 98 fuel. both these mods gave me about the same amount of power.

at only 93k on the clock your far away from the 200k average most peoples head gasket goes at, as long as you keep on top of the cooling system you dont need to worry much. i suggest giving it a good flush and using hi quality coolant.
needturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2005, 05:43 PM   #7
niko
likes falcon's

if there original k's changing other gaskets may be an idea, and that gasket kit that you would need costs bout 100odd bux, its not a 2second job and not like changing a tyre so think carefully what you do.
Old 14-03-2005, 06:46 PM   #8
DanXR6T
Eat more peanuts....

I personally believe that changing a head gasket is fairly straight forward job IF there are no major issues like rounded off head bolts or sized threads.

The most mechanical thing I had done before changing my head gasket was changing the oil and plugs so I don't class it as being in the same league as an engine swap, etc..

Daniel..

Formerly owned:
'99 AU Falcon Ute
'88 EA Falcon GL
DanXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post