Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-09-2006, 12:07 PM   #1
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

Default Toyota NZ takes swipe at large cars

I think Bob Field may have his head up in a certain place regarding some of the statements that he's made. Here is an article from stuff.co.nz regarding the high share of large cars in the fleet market.

From Stuff.co.nz

Toyota slams big car mentality
31 August 2006

Toyota New Zealand has taken a swipe at what it says is a disproportionately high share of large cars in the fleet market. The company has used the launch of its latest-generation Camry to attack again the dominance of Ford Falcon and Holden Commodore, with their six-cylinder and V8 engines.

Thirteen years ago Toyota NZ chief executive Bob Field used the introduction of the 1993 "wide body" Camry to criticise "meat pies and Aussie cars" – a reference to Toyota's view that the Australian vehicles were lacking in sophistication.

This time the basis of the attack is fuel consumption and depreciation. At a media function in Palmerston North this week, Field said Camry was now a serious alternative.

The fleet market for new passenger vehicles is almost double the size of the private buyer market. And while the new Camry is pitched at both, Toyota expects the main growth in sales to be in the fleet market.

"In particular, fleet users have a disproportionately high share of large cars which they are looking to address because of fuel costs and accelerating depreciation," said Field.

"With fleets looking to lower their overall vehicle costs, the new Camry is extremely well positioned. The only compromise for drivers downsizing from a large car to a Camry is the acceleration away from the traffic lights – but it is a short-lived thrill as we still have a 100 kmh speed limit – and we still have heavy congestion on our most frequently used roads."

My response - Rubbish! There are areas on the open road where a 2.4L 4cyl in heavy bodied won't cut it. Hills, Safe overtaking, In gear acceleration etc, etc,. I could go on for months before I even start pointing out the fuel consumption of the new Camry. Having said that I do agree to certain degree about depreciation.

The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2006, 12:20 PM   #2
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One of the worst all-time drives I've ever had was a field trip from Sydney up the NSW north coast in a fleet Camry that was being trialled. The driving dynamics and cabin ergonomics were atrocious. I came back aching, stressed and totally unrelaxed. It was gutless too. What a shocker, I can't understand why they're so popular. So whose cars lack sophistication?
Old 02-09-2006, 12:38 PM   #3
BAFalconXT
Sold...

What does he really think would happen to Camry resale values when thousands of used pove pac camrys are dumped on the used car market. Their resale values would be worse than Magnas, and impossible to sell.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:12 PM   #4
SVR73
Mr Polish

Camry seats are bad too.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:27 PM   #5
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

They are also ugly.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:36 PM   #6
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Camry fuel consumption 9.9L per 100. Power 120 kw
BFII 6 speed auto fuel consumption 10.2L per 100. Power 190 kw.

I know which one I'd prefer. :
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2006, 03:18 PM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Camry = FWD = crapola
Falcon = RWD = FUN

damn I didn't realise the economy figures are so close ... although the old-tech crappy 4-ctl engines they still use have to lug around an ungly boat anchor like the Camry ... I really shouldn't be surprised.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 12:32 AM   #8
RATT

It's another swipe at the competition, that's all. They have little else to work on. They know BF (and BFII) is a great car for its intended purpose.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 12:57 AM   #9
B-1B
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So what cars are made in NZ?

Why are antagonist posts from members with high post counts so common now?
B-1B is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 01:32 AM   #10
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I can't see why they bag the competitors when their product is boring and no where near an improvement like BossXR8 said

Quote:
BFII 6 speed auto fuel consumption 10.2L per 100. Power 190 kw
I know which one I'd prefer.
Now if they brought back the Supra that would be an improvement. The Soarer and Supra were and are still nice cars. If you put those sort of engines into a nicely designed shell they'd have a ripper of a car.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 03:11 AM   #11
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anybody who actually believes the Camry is a better car than a Falcon or Commodore is a total spastic.

Toyota Camrys have always had ****house, boring, plasticy ****ed poor interiors, ****house seats and powerless engine which resembles a mouse on a wheel.

They sell well among oriental people especially I've found. Frankly, they can keep their gutless crap...as long as I keep Australia's real 6s alive, I couldn't care less...

Plus employees like Falcons and Commodes...who the hell likes a Camry?
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 03:20 AM   #12
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seriously though Toyota wake up. You have proven engineering developement so implement it into an at least half decent car for Australia!
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 12:53 PM   #13
RATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Anybody who actually believes the Camry is a better car than a Falcon or Commodore is a total spastic.

Toyota Camrys have always had ****house, boring, plasticy ****ed poor interiors, ****house seats and powerless engine which resembles a mouse on a wheel.

They sell well among oriental people especially I've found. Frankly, they can keep their gutless crap...as long as I keep Australia's real 6s alive, I couldn't care less...

Top quality post... _
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 01:00 PM   #14
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I didn't read the full article but what is a camry these days? I would have thought it to be a large car, sure it doesn't have the 6 cyl (until Aurion) but still its a big car, i wouldn't say it is a small/medium car.
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 06:46 PM   #15
XPfalcon170

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1B
So what cars are made in NZ?

de-regulation and the swarm off cheap asian cars killed off the NZ car manufacturing indusrty many years ago.
XPfalcon170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 08:56 PM   #16
Sapper
Back to the AU

Isn't the whole point of a having a company car is to do burnouts anyway? Camry's are no good for that. Besides, NZ is so anti everything that they decided 18 months ago that an Air Force might be a bad idea and sold all of their fighters. :
Old 03-09-2006, 09:22 PM   #17
RSgerry
Well hello Mr Fancypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
the problem is, that with larger fleets, employees dont get the opportunity to choose what car they drive. the company goes to market and gets a quote on cars of a similar size and spec, and then looks at the lease costs of those vehicles. the point about depreciation is a valid one as this is taken into consideration with lease pricing.

the other thing to bear in mind is that not all of a companies cars are going to be driven in the country. if an employee is city based, why do they need a big six cylinder car when a small hatch will do the same job? it is all about keeping costs down and profits up.

having said all that, i still hate the camry more than any other car, however, most toyotas sh1t me as well.
RSgerry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 10:01 PM   #18
EF, What else?
A Bloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot xr6
Isn't the whole point of a having a company car is to do burnouts anyway? Camry's are no good for that. Besides, NZ is so anti everything that they decided 18 months ago that an Air Force might be a bad idea and sold all of their fighters. :
Who would want to invade NZ anyway? :
Old 03-09-2006, 10:20 PM   #19
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
BFII 6 speed auto fuel consumption 10.2L per 100. Power 190 kw.
Just to build on that Camry 6 cylinder fuel consumption 11.3L/100 km. 284nm@4400 rpm.

I will give Toyota merit for it's build quality though.