Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 06-09-2006, 10:18 AM   #1
EF_Stocker
Starter Motor

Default Head Gasket

Hi guys, just found out i have a head gasket leak on my '94 EF. Think it's been there for quite some time as i used to think it was a tuning problem about a year ago that when i put my foot down it's as if it misfires or something along those lines.

What i want to know is, what does a leaky head gasket contribute too, and how long does it usually take to blow? Just went over the 180,000k's mark so i knew it was coming

:(

EF_Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 10:23 AM   #2
EF_Ghia

Leaking headgasket will cause you to lose water.

Have your mechanic fit an AU gasket.
EF_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 01:40 PM   #3
EF_Stocker
Starter Motor

Ahhh k and thats all? I make sure i top it up before every trip i make. Don't have the cash to pay for a mechanic to do it just yet =\

Is it difficult for a novice to do?
Old 06-09-2006, 07:46 PM   #4
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Under the bonnet, trying to keep as clean as above!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_Stocker
Ahhh k and thats all? I make sure i top it up before every trip i make. Don't have the cash to pay for a mechanic to do it just yet =\

Is it difficult for a novice to do?
if you have tools, 2 hands, half a brain and $500 your over qualified. get a gregory's workshop manual and you will be right. once you get the head off get it all pressure tested, surface machine and a general look over to make sure it's all good to go back on.

pete j
EB Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 08:37 PM   #5
xxxc
tuff

i have all brand new genuine ford gaskets you need to do a head gasket if you are interested, cheap too , as i was gonna do the one on my el but sold it, pm if interested
xxxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 05:20 PM   #6
EF_Stocker
Starter Motor

Thanks for the offer Dumpt and thanks for the info Pete, i think i'll have to do some reading up first. Technical stuff, i can do when i understand it. Never had to change a head gasket before, but i might have to learn.
Old 16-09-2006, 02:05 PM   #7
gogoboygareth

How much would it cost to change the head gasket? I'm looking at buying an XG ute and the RACV guy things there's an oil leak, and it might be coming from the rocker cover.

Now the owner said he'll get an RWC first, so I'm assuming he'll fix the leak - but if he does a dodgy somehow, what would I be looking at? Is the rocker cover gasket cheap(ish)? Should I get an AU head gasket fitted at the same time?
gogoboygareth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2006, 03:09 PM   #8
efgiar
rofl copter

rocker cover gasket doesnt merrit a head gasket replacment. rocker cover gasket = 10-15 bucks and its easy. just get a few tips before going into the deep end

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2006, 03:40 PM   #9
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

I know it's not quite the same, but here's an article on changing a head gasket on an EA CFI.

http://www.deleted link/portal/kb.php?mode=article&k=15

The manifold and ancilleries brackets come off differently, but everything else comes off and goes back on the same as an EF.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post