Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-09-2006, 09:16 AM   #1
la Huerta
Starter Motor

Default problems with my AU ! ute

hey guys...

thought i'd post up the problems i have with my ute...

steering is terrible, handles like crap, on the expressway it wants to float away !...and the steering wheel is not in center...figured it needs new shocks, springs and a wheel alignment...what do you reckon...

bad rust at the bottom of the rear window, and starting to apear on some other sections of the back of the cab, like where the welding joins are....has anyone ever seen this on a AU before...

i probably just got a bad one knowing my luck, don't want to spend much on it as i'v almost finished paying it off and rather get that done first...

La H

la Huerta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2006, 09:32 AM   #2
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by la Huerta
and the steering wheel is not in center
Please tell me when you find out what's the deal with this. I have the same thing, countless wheel alignments haven't done squat...
Old 21-09-2006, 01:00 PM   #3
KOUPE76
OLD SKOOL BABY

I'd check youre steering rack, same thing was happening to the wifes AU ( car wants to float away), cahanged the rack got a wheel alighnment and runs true to the point you let youre hands off the wheel and goes dead straight.

Mick

1976 XB GS COUPE (waiting to start the rebuild)
KOUPE76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2006, 01:37 PM   #4
la Huerta
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUPRNT XR8
I'd check youre steering rack, same thing was happening to the wifes AU ( car wants to float away), cahanged the rack got a wheel alighnment and runs true to the point you let youre hands off the wheel and goes dead straight.

Mick
you mean one of these, click here

La H
Old 21-09-2006, 01:44 PM   #5
KOUPE76
OLD SKOOL BABY

Yep, that's the one, have a look at the rubber boots on your rack and see if they are split/torn, if they are I'm pretty sure the rack is stuffed as all the dirt and grime flying in their doesn't do it any good.

Old 21-09-2006, 01:50 PM   #6
la Huerta
Starter Motor

yeh they look pretty crapy, and some black oil around them too...

what's involved in replacing it...i usually do what i can myself
Old 21-09-2006, 02:03 PM   #7
KOUPE76
OLD SKOOL BABY

I took mine to the experts, maybe someone else could help as I don't like messing with steering components.

Old 21-09-2006, 02:04 PM   #8
la Huerta
Starter Motor

i was just thinking it's probably one of those jobs where i need to get the steering rack put on and a wheel alignment at the same time?

nice wheels bluprnt, love the dark wheels instead of chrome, makes it look like one of those USA stock racing utes
Old 21-09-2006, 03:07 PM   #9
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

how much travel do you have in the steering wheel before the wheels start to turn?

I'd be looking at the lower steering shaft before the rack myself to make sure the pin is tight.. If your steering wheel has more than 5 degrees either way before the wheels start to move it really accents as you pick up speed and gives a floating, lack of response to the car

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2006, 03:24 PM   #10
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Interesting Tibbo.

I hold mine roughly 10° to the left to keep it straight. I get told everytime that it's the alignment, I had one about two weeks ago and it still did it when I drove off. I've always thought it was a steering rack problem, that it was bent or something like that...
Old 21-09-2006, 03:55 PM   #11
la Huerta
Starter Motor

yeh there might be a little slack before the wheels move, not much though, less than 5°...it does feel as though the wheels are slightly free moving even though i don't move the steering wheel, like there is some sort of play there, noticable too if i go over a rut in the road, it wants to go with the rut instead of keeping straight, on the freeway it floats like i said and tends to either steer to much or not enough, rather than being solid feeling...

got new tyres a while back before last rego, but it was doing it a bit before then , so not the tyres....
Old 21-09-2006, 04:08 PM   #12
la Huerta
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
how much travel do you have in the steering wheel before the wheels start to turn?

I'd be looking at the lower steering shaft before the rack myself to make sure the pin is tight.. If your steering wheel has more than 5 degrees either way before the wheels start to move it really accents as you pick up speed and gives a floating, lack of response to the car
the lack of responce in the steering kind of sums it up...

would worn shocks have an effect too, this would cause the car to float a bit on the freeway would'nt it.?
Old 21-09-2006, 06:20 PM   #13
The Monty
Just slidin'

My rear end was floating all over the road when I put my 15's on the back and left the 17's on the front. Kind of like I was half out of control sometimes, put the 17's back on the back, and it went straight again.