Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 11-09-2006, 02:11 PM   #1
Bipolar
I'm back. Same car.

Angry My first accident

Thursday night, heading towards Mum's. I'm following an early 90's Bluebird down to the roundabout under Old Northern. The Bluebird is entering the roundabout, and I creep towards the line, stopping briefly to check for cars coming from Rode. All clear, with the right-hand indicator still flashing I enter one of the pointy ends of the oblong shaped roundabout, leaving the auto's selector in 1st for engine braking during the almost right angle turn in the inside lane. Almost through that turn, I flick the indicator stalk up (for left), the selector into 3rd and proceed to follow the bluebird exiting the roundabout into Becketts.

A white late model Courier is entering the roundabout from Old Northern, the entry point before the exit point I am intending to use. I see the vehicles right-hand indicator flashing as it slowly enters the lane beside me. I see this, and think nothing of it, as they could surely see me and at least the left side repeater flashing (let alone left front indicator and headlights), and I assumed because of this that they would continue slowly until I had exited the roundabout. When I could see the Courier was speeding up and was most likely going to hit me, I hit the brakes and swerved towards the next exit as if I didn't hit the brake, I would've ended up hitting the gutter, then the sign behind it. The Courier hit my rear left door and knocked me off course, which I then corrected, and drove slowly up Rode until I could find a safe enough place to stop with enough room for the Courier to pull up behind me without blocking any driveways.

A lady was driving, and we swapped licences and wrote down details. It was her passenger, presumably her husband, who was having a go at my partner and I before we started to swap details. The first thing he said was, "Didn't you see us?". Then he started saying we were flying and I didn't use my indicator. I do usually travel a bit faster through there on my own, but I had my girlfriend, the cat in her cage (ended up upside down) and a boot full of luggage, so I was driving extra sedately - even though this is irrelevant. And I always use my indicator, even if I can't see anyone around, as anything could happen, and in my 9 years behind the wheel I have seen people pop out from nowhere a couple of times. This is also mostly irrelevant, as even had I not used my indicator, the most simple and important rule of using a roundabout is 'give way to the right' (in Queensland anyway). He kept ranting about reporting me to the police and hearing from his solicitor, and us being young so-and-sos, at which point I knew I wasn't going to get any sense out of him and went to jump back in my EL and head off. I could not believe he actually though it was my fault. I don't understand the logic, unless he just straight out doesn't know the road rules, in which case he needs to read up on them.

Has this happened to anyone else? Has anyone been in an accident that someone else has caused, and been accused of being the one causing it?

Bipolar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2006, 02:29 PM   #2
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

well, if you were already in the round-a-bout, then the other car must give way to you. Simple as that.

I would talk to a lawyer if this guy thinks you are at fault... send them a legal letter stating that they were at fault and are required to repair your damage etc...

Don't let this jerk push you around.

EDIT
If the guy going nuts at your partner, wasn't driving the courier then how can he instiagate legal action against you, being a passenger of the courier??
You have the drivers insurance details, that is all you should need.

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2006, 02:45 PM   #3
Dezza
Parts bin special

Sorry to hear the news. Hope the damage wasn't too bad. The other bloke would definately be at fault. He didn't give way when he was meant to.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2006, 02:52 PM   #4
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

human self defense mechanism - he was trying to make you FEEL like you were the one at fault to preserve their insurance rating (and dignity/pride). i don't think you have anything to worry about - describe the incident to your insurance company asap and listen to what they say. they'll always back you up, but you can generally tell by their reaction what the result will be. we've had 2 prangs, both of which have been the other party's fault, once where we were reversed into in a car park, and once where we were sitting at a red light up the front, then some idiot rear ended a car, which rear ended another, which rear ended us. That was a fun day. Insurance company took care of it all both times. Even with the first incident, where the 'responsible' driver went under the radar for months. It was all taken care of.

good luck.
Professor Farnsworth is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2006, 03:01 PM   #5
castek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

alot of people pull out stuff like, i'll report you blah blah, especially when they are at fault. basically they are in the wrong, they knew it and wanted to scare you so you wuldnt report it to your insurance.
castek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2006, 03:01 PM   #6
HSVETAR
Bring on the lion...

THat sucks dude. Its bad enough that he arked up but to aim it at your partner is so not cool. Good luck with it all anyway.
El falcon, 4.0, XR6 camshaft, pacemaker extractors, 2.5 inch exhaust with tri flow sports muffler, AU TE50 intake, with K&N panel filter, Advanti racing Stalker 17" rims, Sitting on Ultra Low King Springs, 'Gabriel' Ultras Lowered struts, NOW MANUAL, 3.45 LSD

9.694 @ 75.38 MPH at Mildura Drag Strip 1/8 Mile

XC Falcon project car underway......
HSVETAR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2006, 04:56 PM   #7
alesia
Banned

the best thing to do is always keep a camera in your car , even if its a disposable one , people have a tendancy to lie when they know they are at fault ,got crashed into by a VY a couple of years ago their front quarter into our back door on drivers side. she changed her story and told the insurance company the complete opposite to what happened , because of the photos that were taking by us we had proof of where the accident happened and what actually had happened and she had to pay up .
alesia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2006, 05:06 PM   #8
bArNsY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hehe this can back fire! My girlfriend's dad was involved in an accident which was his fault, the other driver took photos....in the photos it showed the other driver was travelling over doubled line...hence he was at fault!

he would be ****ed off!

Adam
2004 BA MkII XR6 Turbo

2009 G6E Turbo (277.2rwkw @ Tuned at Bullet Performance Racing)
2007 Audi S5 4.2L V8 manual (Supersprint exhaust, MMI 3G+ retrofit)

The New: 2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium Petrol RWD (With Sync 3 Upgrade)

Other Road Toys

Silver Surfer
2014 S-Works Roubaix SL4 road bike with Roval Rapide CLX 40 wheelset

The Adventurer!
2023 TREK Domane SL 7 AXS Gen 4
bArNsY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2006, 05:41 PM   #9
Bipolar
I'm back. Same car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantz
human self defense mechanism - he was trying to make you FEEL like you were the one at fault to preserve their insurance rating (and dignity/pride). i don't think you have anything to worry about - describe the incident to your insurance company asap and listen to what they say. they'll always back you up, but you can generally tell by their reaction what the result will be.
That's pretty much what I thought. I went to a cop shop to report it just to cover all my **** and did the insurance thing straight away. I wasn't worried and neither was the guy at Shannons. The problem with the girlfriend is that because I was heading back for the drivers seat and suggested she do the same so we didn't have to listen to any more dribble, my girlfriend was taking him seriously and started to argue the point. She doesn't really know what I know and was panicking about what he was saying. I had to get back out and persuade her to get in and ignore him. The guy's wife did the same. They weren't in each others faces but it was clearly going nowhere. I don't know if he was drunk but it explains the state he was in and why she was driving.

A mate was telling me today there some kind of 80/20% spread of responsibility when it comes to roundabouts and their insurance company might try to use it against mine. That would mean Shannons or I would have to pay for 20% of the damage, which is bullshyte because you already have to take time off work to arrange for the work to get done, and no-one pays for that.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:52 PM   #10
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

They are going to have to explain why its your fault (its not your fault) when they have hit your left rear passenger door.

"If" for instance you were speeding around the roundabout oblong thingy they should still of stopped anyway, but you werent so they are in the wrong.
They are gonna be stuffed.
You'll come out of this golden so I wouldnt worry.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:19 PM   #11
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowEFGLi
They are going to have to explain why its your fault (its not your fault) when they have hit your left rear passenger door.

"If" for instance you were speeding around the roundabout oblong thingy they should still of stopped anyway, but you werent so they are in the wrong.
They are gonna be stuffed.
You'll come out of this golden so I wouldnt worry.
i doubt you'll have to pay anything at all mate, or lose any rating you have. i used to work for a big car rental company - we constantly got letters from insurance companies fighting with our insurance company, in response to our cars being crashed every 5 minutes around the country. Even when it's an absolutely blinding black and white case of who's at fault, the insurance company of the individual at fault will always send the generic 'we hold your client liable for the incident' etc.. because sometimes it probably works, who knows. That's just what they do. But yeah i think you'll be fine.
Professor Farnsworth is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2006, 08:53 PM   #12
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wouldn't worry about it mate, you have done all the right stuff (get details, report to police, ring insurance) she was obviously at fault, there just trying to bluff there way out of it.

Either way its in the insurance companies hands now, if the other party wants to kepp on arguing.
FRDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2006, 10:12 PM   #13
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

pics or it din't happen !!

nah seriously, bad luck there...

i'm not gonna jinx myself yet, so i won't say anything :P
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2006, 12:22 AM   #14
Rollin
Banned

Thats fuct man! So sorry to hear that :( your car was probably one of the straightest in the club! Maybe Tim cleaned up the drivers side rear door in his car on the weekend out of sympathy for you?

Sounds like you weren't at fault at all man, you shouldn't have to pay for anything. Good luck getting your car fixed - I hope they do a good job!

P.S. Are you sure you and your girlfriend don't have sore necks as a result of the collision? :P
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2006, 02:38 AM   #15
pHaT`eL
Banned

Ive had a guy try to get out of an accident that was his fault. I was turning right through an intersection with a green arrow, he ran a red light coming from the left and took the left hand front off the then 3 week old BA, which was dads pride and joy.
Because I was driving at the time on my L's it was automatically my fault according to him, haha..
The camera came in handy, showed the whole lot, got me a few days off school and a newer front on the BA.
Hope you and the mrs (and cat) are alright too..
pHaT`eL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2006, 03:51 AM   #16
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

anyway, no matter what happens, you still have to feel better than this dude:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csJEPzyj3dw&NR
Old 12-09-2006, 07:43 AM   #17
LTDHO
The one and only

Everyone will say it was the other persons fault! No one has the balls anymore to say they are at fault. Gutless IMO.

Without doubting you, I can't say who is at fault without hearing both stories.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2006, 08:54 AM   #18
LukeyBAXR6
BA XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pEtE`
Ive had a guy try to get out of an accident that was his fault. I was turning right through an intersection with a green arrow, he ran a red light coming from the left and took the left hand front off the then 3 week old BA, which was dads pride and joy.
Because I was driving at the time on my L's it was automatically my fault according to him, haha..
The camera came in handy, showed the whole lot, got me a few days off school and a newer front on the BA.
Hope you and the mrs (and cat) are alright too..
Exactly what happened with my first car (EA).. In fact that's when i came on these forums :P

Now i've got myself an EF Falcon.. Not bad considering, and the fact it cost 3,000.

It sounds like your fine Bipolar, Mine didn't want to admit fault.. but SHE kind of had to, and because of her lovely little missing of the light i flipped her Holden Cruze with two kids in the back (No one was injured).
Old 12-09-2006, 12:53 PM   #19
Bipolar
I'm back. Same car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin
Thats fuct man! So sorry to hear that :( your car was probably one of the straightest in the club! Maybe Tim cleaned up the drivers side rear door in his car on the weekend out of sympathy for you?

Sounds like you weren't at fault at all man, you shouldn't have to pay for anything. Good luck getting your car fixed - I hope they do a good job!

P.S. Are you sure you and your girlfriend don't have sore necks as a result of the collision? :P
A... Ah... Ooww...

Yeah, the girlfriend and cat's OK. Girlfriend's been in a pretty big accident when she was a kid so she was pretty shaken up by it. The cat went a bit quiet after that. She ended up having the 2 cusions in the cage lying on top of her while it was upside down. I absolutely exploded with anger straight after it happened. By the time I got out of the car I had taken a few deep breaths and kept a cool head. I've kind of trained myself to cut the emotions off when something happens to my car. It's much more productive. I wish the passenger of the Courier could've done the same, being older and supposedly wiser. But as said previously, you get very defensive if you can't bring yourself to admit it was your fault. It would be interesting, but probably just infuriating, to hear their side of the story now that there's been time to calm down.

Don't know what those VL dudes were up to, unless there was a lapse in concentration.

Damn, LukeEF! Your accident sounds manic!
Old 26-09-2006, 01:23 PM   #20
Bipolar
I'm back. Same car.

Work all complete. The only giveaway is the end of the bump strip is not 100% stuck down. And the car stinks of rust protection. 3 phone calls with Shannons and she was all sweet. They didn't even send someone to inspect the damage. They ended up looking at the photos the smash repair shop took. and approved the work straight away.

I was only away from my EL for 4 days, but it felt like a month. But now I drive with even more paranoia towards old drivers. I already had enough of this from when my stepmum was killed by one.
Old 26-09-2006, 01:35 PM   #21
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

Good to hear that its all been fixed up.
What happened with the people that hit you? Did they admit fault?

You have to be careful on the roads... not only drive for yourself, but to drive for everyone else on the roads.

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 02:39 PM   #22
castek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeh, great to hear another EL has been saved. what i thnk happened to the vl in the above video is he caught the tram tracks. i know my cars started to slide a few times while driving over them.
castek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 05:16 PM   #23
efgiar
rofl copter

yeah i can understand about not having u car for 4 days and feeling like a month... mine will be 2 weeks on friday!! :@ got it painted - 5 days. they stuffed it up, another 5 days >.<

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 10:33 PM   #24
Bipolar
I'm back. Same car.

Dude that sux! I'd have scratched walls and hair missing by then!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlane_ghia
Good to hear that its all been fixed up.
What happened with the people that hit you? Did they admit fault?

You have to be careful on the roads... not only drive for yourself, but to drive for everyone else on the roads.
Why I think racing is safer than driving. Don't know if they admitted it. Yet.