Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-03-2015, 10:11 AM   #331
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2015 Ford Everest

Everest needs to beat Jeep GC and not Prado for market lead in the segment.
GC has got a nice diesel , a v6 and SRT V8 ,looks good and great value . It shows if you do make it good buyers will buy it despite the past reputation .
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2015, 10:21 AM   #332
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

The Everest is a prado competitor not a GC even though they will be crossed shopped. I believe the edge or explorer would be a true GC competitor.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2015, 10:45 AM   #333
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They are lumped together in the segment even though they are different in execution - some ute based and some unibody . Everest strictly speaking is MU-X , Colorado and upcoming to OZ 4runner competitor.
Old 21-03-2015, 11:06 AM   #334
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
They are lumped together in the segment
It's very difficult dragging recognition and understanding of the crossover out of this swamp of a segment! The crossover is a high-entry car with no offroad pretensions (though some may have limited ability in that regard). Territory and many others in that segment are crossovers, so Everest is not a substitute for Territory and its kind, but more squarely in the offroader (e.g. Prado) camp.

They're all certainly cross-shopped and many buyers don't mind stepping from one to the other. But some of us emphatically want a (high-entry) car only. And all the on-road performance characteristics that go with that!

Or should I say, all the on-road performance characteristics that should go with that - some cut it, most don't.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2015, 11:22 AM   #335
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've said this before here but anyway, Prados are OK. I have driven about 26 different ones over 150,000kms with work. Not many problems until they hit 300,000kms. Last week I drove a 2012 gxl with 420,000kms on it and it drove like new, apart from a rattle from the front right hand side. A few others have had problems. A couple had major shudders under the vehicle while at low rpm, inner wheel guards falling off on at least 3, random rattles from the front, engine knocking when cold and I was told the steering wheel came off one when it hit a large bump on a dirt track.
These are work cars get treated a bit harder than the average owner will treat theirs, but still I'd never buy one. Slow which is terrible for rural road overtaking, handle like a boat and very expensive considering how basic they are. $60,000 for a GXL is way overpriced. The new ones with those DRL's look so damn ugly. Everest looks million times better. I'm not a fan of the rear of the Everest, but again looks great compared to the Prado.
We can only hope the Everest will be reliable, cheaper and have more features than the Prado and it will be awesome alternative.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2015, 11:42 AM   #336
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
It's very difficult dragging recognition and understanding of the crossover out of this swamp of a segment! The crossover is a high-entry car with no offroad pretensions (though some may have limited ability in that regard). Territory and many others in that segment are crossovers, so Everest is not a substitute for Territory and its kind, but more squarely in the offroader (e.g. Prado) camp.

They're all certainly cross-shopped and many buyers don't mind stepping from one to the other. But some of us emphatically want a (high-entry) car only. And all the on-road performance characteristics that go with that!

Or should I say, all the on-road performance characteristics that should go with that - some cut it, most don't.
I think you mentioned before that the new X3 is about the only place we will find that Territory ride/handling mix in the future. Did you get to try one? I'll have mine in petrol, please

Out of interest we cross shopped Prado and AWD Territory in 2007 when buying ours. Having an ED Falcon and 60 Series cruiser, I wanted to combine aspects of the two. Moving away from an area where lots of 4wd work done, we chose Territory as it was more comfortable (especially middle row seats), handled beautifully, was very car-like, and had snow/track capability which was about all we needed. A great choice as I love the car, but if resale were our only criteria, the Prado of the same year is considerably ahead! Wonder if that will continue to happen in the segment - Toyota then daylight when it comes resale time?
Old 21-03-2015, 11:48 AM   #337
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
The Everest is a prado competitor not a GC even though they will be crossed shopped. I believe the edge or explorer would be a true GC competitor.
Why would you say that?
Anyone looking for a 4WD with off road capabilities wouldn't be looking at a FWD Edge or Explorer (and before you argue, optional part-time AWD that sends power to the rear wheels when needed). Every Prado and GC (bar the base model 4x2) comes with fulltime 4WD, low range, and most likely better ground clearance.

I have a GC and I will be definately shopping the Everest against it when the time comes to change over (won't even entertain a Prado, can't stand them. Too old, slow, outdated etc etc IMHO)
Old 21-03-2015, 12:16 PM   #338
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
I think you mentioned before that the new X3 is about the only place we will find that Territory ride/handling mix in the future. Did you get to try one? I'll have mine in petrol, please
I've been trialling "SUVs" far and wide looking for something that replicates the ride and handling of the Territory. Only BMW makes the grade (and a little bit better).
Old 21-03-2015, 03:09 PM   #339
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
I've been trialling "SUVs" far and wide looking for something that replicates the ride and handling of the Territory. Only BMW makes the grade (and a little bit better).
Porsche Macan and Q5 or Touareg no good ? 😊
Old 21-03-2015, 03:45 PM   #340
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
Porsche Macan and Q5 or Touareg no good ? 😊
I should have said I was sticking to an upper price level under 70k. If you can afford over that, the world's your oyster! Might have to check the prices of those though. There's always second hand too.
Old 15-06-2015, 04:37 PM   #341
dead_man00124

So official pricing has been released on there site and build your own

http://www.ford.com.au/suvs/new-everest#

starting price including onroads is just shy of $60k with going up to just over $85k for the top model
dead_man00124 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2015, 05:02 PM   #342
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_man00124 View Post
So official pricing has been released on there site and build your own

http://www.ford.com.au/suvs/new-everest#

starting price including onroads is just shy of $60k with going up to just over $85k for the top model
Ouch at Titanium price... even the ambiente model (why would they call it that, i dont know) seemed priced out of the market... surely there is some level of error in that or mega margins.
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2015, 05:07 PM   #343
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

'Ambiente' WTF, it isn't a Focus

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2015, 05:11 PM   #344
paulb351

Gives Toyota the opportunity to undercut on price with the Fortuner hilux based model and repeat the Kluger Territory demolition, deja-vu anyone???
paulb351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2015, 05:50 PM   #345
dead_man00124

that what I thought, the pricing seems way out of wack with territory pricing and even somewhat the competition. I might spend some time tonight and compare specs on each unit

EDIT: also the only options outside of paint is a towbar and SatNav on the lower end model
EDIT 2: only Cool White and True Red are no cost options, everything else add $500 for
Old 15-06-2015, 05:58 PM   #346
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Its a fair whack for a base model.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-06-2015, 06:04 PM   #347
dead_man00124

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan View Post
Its a fair whack for a base model.
I agree, however it seems at the moment we are only getting the 4x4 with the 3.2L diesel engine and only in the auto :(

for reference the phillipines model option list link

Quote:
Breaking news! Stop the presses. And stop that SUV purchase for that matter—well, at least until September. Ford Philippines has finally unveiled the Philippine specifications, model variants, and pricing of the all-new 2015 Everest at its dynamic launch. After its global reveal in Beijing, its regional launch at the Bangkok International Motor Show and MIAS, you think you have everything you need to know about the Ford Everest. Except for the price. So, allow us to enlighten you. Read on.

Cutting to the chase, it comes with six variants (officially, five with the final one being an optional Premium package):
Ambiente 2.2 4x2 M/T: P 1,339,000
Ambiente 2.2 4x2 A/T: P 1,399,000
Trend 2.2 4x2 A/T: P 1,539,000
Titanium 2.2 4x2 A/T: P 1,639,000
Titanium 3.2 4x4 A/T: P 1,899,000
Titanium Premium 3.2 4x4 A/T: P 1,999,000
The optional Premium package contains the following additional equipment:
HID projector-type headlamps with auto-leveling and headlamp washer
LED daytime running lights
8-way power adjustable passenger seat
Power Fold third-row seat
Power Liftgate
240-volt inverter
Panoramic Moonroof
Heads-up Display
Adaptive Cruise Control
Lane Keeping Aid
Collision Mitigation
Active Park Assist
It seems we get mostly the fully optioned ones :(
conversion of the Titanium Premium 3.2 4x4 A/T: P 1,999,000 comes to just over $57k AUD

Not sure what options there premium comes with but already looks like we are rorted over $20k

Edit: there cheapest version seems to pop in at just over $40k AUD
Old 15-06-2015, 06:26 PM   #348
paulb351

Converting 1,999,000 Thai baht at current exchange rates comes to $76.5k plus gst and lct makes price comparable for the Titanium at least. Value question will be answered when Everest goes on sale. Depreciation on the Titanium would be eye watering I'm guessing...
Old 15-06-2015, 06:50 PM   #349
dead_man00124

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb351 View Post
Converting 1,999,000 Thai baht at current exchange rates comes to $76.5k plus gst and lct makes price comparable for the Titanium at least. Value question will be answered when Everest goes on sale. Depreciation on the Titanium would be eye watering I'm guessing...
is that Baht of phillipines Peso on the site i linked? I assumed Peso as this is for the phillipines release.

Will correct my post if im wrong as the 2 different pricing variations are rather large

Edit: Ford Thailand Pricing
Old 15-06-2015, 06:53 PM   #350
paulb351

Whoops my bad, had been thinking made in Thailand rather than sold in Phillipines...
Old 15-06-2015, 07:02 PM   #351
Tbm1121

The car is only worth what people are prepared to pay for it, and that's what ford have looked at people are comfortable with buying a 55k XLT, ute, and they're comfortable paying 63k for a glx prado, and 90k for a glx 200 series, they're also looking at the mu-x and colorado7 and seeing just how much better they have made the car.
Tbm1121 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2015, 07:10 PM   #352
paulb351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbm1121 View Post
The car is only worth what people are prepared to pay for it, and that's what ford have looked at people are comfortable with buying a 55k XLT, ute, and they're comfortable paying 63k for a glx prado, and 90k for a glx 200 series, they're also looking at the mu-x and colorado7 and seeing just how much better they have made the car.

All true, $15k premium on a wildtrak ranger? Not sure on that as that coin pays for a lot of 4wd accessories. $35k premium on a territory titanium? Lot of difference in that...

As you say punters will vote with their cash (or not).
Old 15-06-2015, 07:12 PM   #353
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbm1121 View Post
The pricing also leaves room for the Territory/Edge in the range. Same thing as Toyota really.

I wasn't expecting it to that expensive to be honest. I thought we would get a RWD price fighter as well. That said, many many people pay that sort of money for a Prado and the Everest is going to be a much better product overall so the $$ might be worth it?
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2015, 07:25 PM   #354
Tbm1121

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
The pricing also leaves room for the Territory/Edge in the range. Same thing as Toyota really.

I wasn't expecting it to that expensive to be honest. I thought we would get a RWD price fighter as well. That said, many many people pay that sort of money for a Prado and the Everest is going to be a much better product overall so the $$ might be worth it?
They're probably testing the market too, they may add more options later, like manual and rwd variants. Which allows for movement. Right now they think auto is the key, and 4x4 is key, so they went for those for release models. Never say never
Old 15-06-2015, 07:36 PM   #355
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Everest is obviously targeting Prado , same as Grand Cherokee before it. That is a surprise as it is Ranger ute based .
It will be an interesting battle . Isuzu / Holden are covering the budget side of the equation with their MU -X Colorado twins along with Challanger . 4Runner will fight those later in the year.

Last edited by SumoDog68; 15-06-2015 at 07:47 PM.
Old 15-06-2015, 08:29 PM   #356
Matty4
Banana

I'm also curious as to why it has less power than the Ranger it's based on.
143kw vs 147kw (I know it's really inconsequential, but marketing types want all the bigger numbers they can get)
Old 15-06-2015, 08:43 PM   #357
Cobramad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I really hope there is a manual option, for those of us who still remember how to change gears!! Would this mean we lose some functionality, such as HDC...?
Cobramad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-06-2015, 09:14 PM   #358
Tbm1121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobramad View Post
I really hope there is a manual option, for those of us who still remember how to change gears!! Would this mean we lose some functionality, such as HDC...?
If and when it comes, you shouldn't lose anything, hdc is in both gearbox rangers. It uses the abs system
Old 15-06-2015, 09:45 PM   #359
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

About 10 grand more than I was expecting. Be interesting to see how good it will be, bet the top spec titanium will look fantastic.

Prado doesn't seem such bad value now though
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2015, 09:51 PM   #360
dead_man00124

dont get me wrong, the Everest looks like a great bit of kit weather using for offroad or playing soccer mum. I'd be tempted to buy one if I could afford it.