Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-02-2009, 04:54 PM   #31
Yellow Fire
Cleveland Powered

I always thought the AUs looked ok from the rear. The front (grille, lights) & side (ride height, hubcaps, wheel arch gap) were another story.
Yellow Fire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 05:48 PM   #32
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Well I reckon a AU3 Forte looks alot better and classier than a BA XT. BA's are very plain.

Im on the hunt for a new daily and the AU3 represents far better value for money. Actually I dont think there is a car that is better value in the entire market. $6k gets a a good low k AU3 pretty easily.

+1

I used to have a maroon AU3 Forte as a work hack. Might have been the "ugly duckling" in the minds of BA and VY drivers but I never minded. AU is one of my favourite drives.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:00 PM   #33
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphanna
just a thought for the people who were around in the 70's...PETER ARCADAPINE (remember that guy) did a lot of fibreglass concept cars during the 70's on Australian cars.

et.al

Was it Peter Arcadapine that did the kits for the XB? ala the Mad Max body kit
Old 11-02-2009, 06:03 PM   #34
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Yes that's him

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 07:34 PM   #35
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Well I reckon a AU3 Forte looks alot better and classier than a BA XT. BA's are very plain.
Carefulll you might upset a few ...... ooopps .... too late

If there wasnt such thing as personal taste, the AU would have been released and we would still be driving them today ........ which wouldn't be a bad thing. (Except for Series 1!)

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 08:11 PM   #36
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munroman
My personal favourite recent ute is the AU XR's with the 4 round headlights.
Agreed & I still like the AU XR Utes, I must say I'm not to keen on the AU Sedan, there is something about the back end of the AU Sedan.............

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 08:35 PM   #37
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I personally think it's not an unreasonable assumption for us to think a merc designer looked at the AU and thought "I like that shape, but I also think I can do it better". I am not a fan of the base model AU but, like the majority of people on this site, I think the XR and T series are horn, especially in Series 3 guise. A lot of people would argue that series 3 AU T series were a sign to the future BA model, due to the square grill and wide, flat bodykits not unlike the upcoming BA models. Just a thought?
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 08:45 PM   #38
bob^
LPS

AU2 onwards XR's IMO look heaps better than a BA. The only reason I wouldn't "downgrade" to one is because it is older than mine.
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 08:47 PM   #39
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Yes, they are similar designs, but MB can't be accused of stealing the styling from the AU Falcon though.

I think the big difference was that the finishing detail (grill, wheel covers, ride height, base model interior) on the AU just wasn't there compared to the more recent MB CLS.

Ford should've put the quad cam 4.6l V8 into the XR8 too. With 240kW, it would've blown the 215kW Gen3 into the weeds. The S/C 4.6L was then only a small step away.

Still, the AU has definitely aged better than most and as an owner of an AU XR i really do think that it's a great looking car. Fun to drive too.

NB Probably the other thing that crippled Falcon sales was the large discounting on the EL. Then the AU had sharper rrp but much smaller fleet discounts in order to pick up private sales. This didn't work and backfired on Ford.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 08:53 PM   #40
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
They should have released the BA with the AU interior and engines in 1998 and then the AU with the BA interior and engines in 2002
Spot on! Only it should've been the 4.6L 240kW V8 in the AU instead of the 175/185/200/220kW 5.0L windsors.

Heck the T series could've been 4.6L S/C 300kW/600Nm in 2000! With that rear end, it would've annihilated the GTS300/Clubsport255 models!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 08:55 PM   #41
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
That's ok. We find you ugly and the majority of your posts cheap and pointless, much like a Korean car.
: knew it would take long for the AU bashers to start.

Quote:
Well I reckon a AU3 Forte looks alot better and classier than a BA XT. BA's are very plain
Oh dear dont buck the trend : im not baised but i do agree with you there
Old 11-02-2009, 08:57 PM   #42
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
Spot on! Only it should've been the 4.6L 240kW V8 in the AU instead of the 175/185/200/220kW 5.0L windsors.

Heck the T series could've been 4.6L S/C 300kW/600Nm in 2000! With that rear end, it would've annihilated the GTS300/Clubsport255 models!
There was one built :
Old 11-02-2009, 09:01 PM   #43
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51RTE
There was one built :
The 300+?

Damn that car looked awesome I remember seeing that at the motor show along with the Dual cab ute
Old 11-02-2009, 09:10 PM   #44
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Having a EF XR8, you notice alot of XR front ends that are similar, the worst one being the Integra front end...

Integra

EF XR

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 09:10 PM   #45
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe Ford America wouldn't give Ford Oz access to the 4.6 motor? It is the only situation that make sense. Why else did Ford go and create their own V8 from the parts bin?
Old 11-02-2009, 09:11 PM   #46
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoods
Having a EF XR8, you notice alot of XR front ends that are similar, the worst one being the Integra front end...
Completely off topic, but I always preferred the EL XR6/8 due to the fact it had a grill and the EF didn't.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:12 PM   #47
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
The 300+?

Damn that car looked awesome I remember seeing that at the motor show along with the Dual cab ute
Um well there is that one, but i was refering to Daniels (CAT600)'s T1 TS50
Old 11-02-2009, 09:14 PM   #48
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
There was one built :
Cat600 has a T1 with supercharged 4.6 quad cam cobra motor
Old 11-02-2009, 09:16 PM   #49
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

And I wish people would stop comparing my car to a busted a$$ CLS. It cheapens it.

Joking folks, joking.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:18 PM   #50
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Um well there is that one, but i was refering to Daniels (CAT600)'s T1 TS50
I thought you meant from Ford

But yes I'd prefer Dans car too

It's 500kw too! much better than 300 :
Old 11-02-2009, 09:20 PM   #51
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by myts
And I wish people would stop comparing my car to a busted a$$ CLS. It cheapens it.

Joking folks, joking.
Its only an ugly AU get over it
Old 11-02-2009, 09:25 PM   #52
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I was never a fan of the Au but i must admit a silver S3 with nice wheels, NO spoiler, and dark tint looks stylish.
I wouldn't rule one out.
In recent times i've taken a disliking to EL's, i dont know who was on what at FoA at the time but honestly, that stupid 'Changing face of Ford' campaign with the butt ugly EL grill.
I like the EL Fairmont front and definately the EL XR's front bar over the EF's, but that Gli front end is aweful.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 09:44 PM   #53
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

lol wtf, bagging EF and EL now. They are one of the best looking falcons made from the EA to now!
Nothing wrong with an AU either, series three possibly looks better than a BA XT as well. S II or III XR8's are a great looking car as well!
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 09:48 PM   #54
ThePistonHead
Shame Holden, Shame

I saw this topic on the back page of a motor magazine a few years back.

I remember they were having a go at the AU's cheap copycat designing, when the Merc came out after the AU!

EFII "XR8" Fairmont V8 185KW ELII XR8 engine, box & exhaust|Dual Fuel|Tints|FTR's|Factory bodykit |K&N panel filter|Interior LED Conversion|Leather steering wheel|Slotted rotors|Ghia wood + chrome|Subwoofer|

METALLICA
ThePistonHead is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 09:51 PM   #55
billyb35

Lol I think you fellas might be dreaming (i.e. putting the cart before the horse).

Today's "design" trends are so far beyond what is currently on the market. If anything, the AU design probably followed a european concept i.e. the MB, and just got it horribly wrong and out of place for a taxi/family car.

It's like the latest fashion trends in Milan etc are extremely chic and modern but never reflect what people are actually wearing now. It's like Ripcurl taking some motif high fashion from Dolce and Gabana and trying to flog it to their market. It would never work!!
billyb35 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 10:03 PM   #56
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what your saying makes perfect sense except the fact that the AU came out 6 years before the MB 'copy'. i am going to do a little more research into ARCADAPINE , and find out what makes him tick. that name ARCADAPINE may be his 70's company name, because he did lots of freaky fururistic stuff with holdens and fords at the time. his proper name could be fred bloggs....but he did go to MB for sure.

if someone got a profile shot of an AU and the CL merc, (my computer skills lack) it is clear the (accidental) link in design especially the crease along the side.

it seems like someone saw the AU, and thought, i am gonna do a very sopisticated version of this, and its gonna work real nice.
FG XR6 (son)
jphanna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 10:13 PM   #57
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphanna
... that name ARCADAPINE may be his 70's company name, because he did lots of freaky fururistic stuff with holdens and fords at the time. his proper name could be fred bloggs....but he did go to MB for sure.

That's his name alright and if my memory serves me right, his 1st name is Peter.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:36 PM   #58
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
Yes, they are similar designs, but MB can't be accused of stealing the styling from the AU Falcon though.

I think the big difference was that the finishing detail (grill, wheel covers, ride height, base model interior) on the AU just wasn't there compared to the more recent MB CLS.

Ford should've put the quad cam 4.6l V8 into the XR8 too. With 240kW, it would've blown the 215kW Gen3 into the weeds. The S/C 4.6L was then only a small step away.

Still, the AU has definitely aged better than most and as an owner of an AU XR i really do think that it's a great looking car. Fun to drive too.

NB Probably the other thing that crippled Falcon sales was the large discounting on the EL. Then the AU had sharper rrp but much smaller fleet discounts in order to pick up private sales. This didn't work and backfired on Ford.
Blown it into the weeds? The local comparisons between the Mustang and the Monaro didnt show any weeds being blown, im pretty sure the Monaro was slightly faster.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 11:09 PM   #59
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I own both a series II AU xr6 with VCT and a BA xr6 turbo. The AU is shockwave blue and the BA phantom purple, they are incomparable like they were of different times almost. The AU is great on long hauls at highway speed, has great economy and is just easy as sleep to drive. The BA is an animal, wants to spin wheels and just go fast and make lots of turbo related noises while doing so. As far as aging goes I must admit I prefer the look of the BA by miles. Its just a more modern car inside and out. I still love and enjoy both. The design philosophy in my opinion was very different when the AU was built compared to the BA. This shows in the final product. There are lots of pros and cons to each car. And are very difficult to compare. History will likely call the AU the car that went forever, and the BA the car that went like stink.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 11:20 PM   #60
demondan

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
I reckon the rear of the FG has an AU look to it, not surprising since it was designed by the same person
The head designer of the FG had nothing at all to do with the AU design.
The AU was designed by Steve Park. The FG was designed by Simon Butterworth (ex Jaguar designer) with the finishing touches mainly the XR series done by Scott Strong who was also the head designer on the BA, which ironiaclly was finished by Simon Butterworth.

Last edited by demondan; 11-02-2009 at 11:33 PM.
demondan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post