Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #31
BA-XT
2003 BA Falcon XT

Default Re: Falcon vs Commodore comparison on Drive ..Falcon wins !

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
is that a fact?? glad you aren't a journo. you'd still be mentioning door handles breaking on falcons.
Yes. Yes it is. Owners seem to top up the fuel tank and fill up the oil. As for the handles on old falcons, why did they continue to break through the XF's? Surely they should have fixed it by then?

It's fairly well documented the oil use of the Alloytech engines. All the ecotechs I've been involved with burn it as well.

IMPCO LPG Vapour Injection.

DETAILING
Meguiar's NXT Car Wash
Collonite #845 Insulator Wax
Bowden's Own Happy Ending & Fully Slick
Chemtech CT-18 Truck Wash (Wheels & Chassis)
Bowden's Own Wheely Clean & Tyre Sheen
Bowden's Own Three Way Paint Decontamination Spray

OILS AND FILTERS
Nulon Full Synthetic 10w-40
Nulon Long Life Coolant
Ryco Oil & Air Filters

My Instagram Account: @ba_falcon2003
BA-XT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2012, 01:48 AM   #32
babyf6
Young Ford Enthusiast

Deleted
Old 13-05-2012, 01:53 AM   #33
babyf6
Young Ford Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
I don't see this article as positive for the Falcon at all. The article seems to bag out the large car segment, making out that Falcon/Commodore are old dinosaurs that are losing ground to small cars because they are "newer", "younger", "easier to live with" among other things. It likens them to old, retired boxers, "punch-drunk old stagers", at the twilight of their careers, with the final round looming, with the world around them being "vastly more modern".

Why can't they just review the cars without having to make BS comments about the segment and misleading claims about how modern they are. The fact that it says that Falcon's interior is nearly a decade old when it's barely 4 years on the market. And why did they review the fleet packs that nobody buys? Was the review written for fleet managers or private buyers? Why didn't they review the models that people actually buy? XR6, SV6, Calais, G6ET. I think it's a joke. If I didn't know any better, I would have come out of that article thinking that large cars are clearly outclassed by more modern, smaller, "more modern thinking" competitors which is BS.

Typical rubbish from Drive as usual.
I suppose. but it may help people choose between the two cars. Though i did feel the 'small cars are always better bias' that has been put into peoples heads.
Old 13-05-2012, 02:10 AM   #34
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
If I didn't know any better, I would have come out of that article thinking that large cars are clearly outclassed by more modern, smaller, "more modern thinking" competitors which is BS.

Typical rubbish from Drive as usual.
In terms of specification level, they are definitely outclassed

Been in a Mondeo Titanium recently?

Edit: The Commodore uses almost as much fuel as the Falcon even with a much smaller engine and while weighing over 50kg less? I suppose it depends on how its being driven. As shown by this example.

Current:
2012 Ford Focus Sport - Petrol/Manual/Black

Last edited by SteveJH; 13-05-2012 at 02:18 AM.
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2012, 04:02 AM   #35
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
i would choose falcon every time.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2012, 05:03 AM   #36
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
Just priced a Titanium hatch with no options on the Ford website for... 49 grand. The only noteworthy technology it has over a Falcon is adaptive cruise and smart key. I'll take an XR6 Turbo with rear wheel drive and 270kw for that price.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2012, 11:01 AM   #37
prydey
Rob

the way i see it, falcon still outsells mondeo, so for all the arguments about equipment, the sales figures don't back them up.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #38
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Just priced a Titanium hatch with no options on the Ford website for... 49 grand. The only noteworthy technology it has over a Falcon is adaptive cruise and smart key. I'll take an XR6 Turbo with rear wheel drive and 270kw for that price.
Precisely. The gadget geeks can keep the triple automatic xenon sunroofs all for themselves.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #39
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Yes i was annoyed by the comment on the interior also, but what can you do. Modern articles seem to need to be written with edgy, contemporary sales commentary filled with doom and gloom, which is a big part of the reason people have stopped buying them. I've been up the alpine road from Barinsdale up through Omeo and so on, and i can tell you it's one heck of a road to test a couple of cars on.

I don't see it as a terrible review except for the boring comments about large sedans being killed off etc. It's handy for those considering an XT or Omega, but honestly, who is these days? People aim higher, which is more often than not cheaper anyway.

That area is basically hundreds of KM of tight winding sweeping roads with spectacular scenery. Here are a couple of shots from the very few straight bits of road in the area:

Old 13-05-2012, 08:04 PM   #40
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Are you guys really happy with the current interior? Does it not feel almost ten years old compared to Euros etc?
Old 13-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #41
drpopper

My previous car (to my FG Mk I G6 50th) was a VW passat with all the fruit inside. I think the G6 is a nicer, easier to use and harder wearing interior not to mention far more (like double) roomy and a nicer riding car. Compared to the basic brand euro's (VW, Pug's, Alfa's, Poverty pack Bimmers and Merc's etc) its very competitive. And the FG MK II's new touch screen and Bluetooth/iPod/ SatNav integration is much better then the FG Mk I's. I'd rate the car as very competitive with the Euro's and certainly better packaged then Toyota's or Hyundai's.
drpopper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #42
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
Are you guys really happy with the current interior? Does it not feel almost ten years old compared to Euros etc?
Yes I really am actually ...... and just to qualify a little that I am not just saying it ....

I have owned 6 AU's .... because of the way they drive and the interior, especially the Ghia, both in 6's and 8's

1 BA ....... because (sorry but just my opinion) did not like the interior at all nor the way they drove and not big on the V8

2 FG's and more to follow ..... read the AU bit.

Even though I have always preferred to buy Fords, it still is my money and wouldn't fork out over 100k on FG's for something I would be disappointed in. Not that silly. Mate just picked up his new VW .... great looking interior but then jumped back into the FG and I was happy still Each to their own of course.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #43
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

There is nothing wrong with the Falcon interior as such, but comparing it to the euros is possible, just not plausible. Until our cars sync globally they will never be as "good".

Tight tolerances and high quality materials cost money, in which you can lower via volume, thats how the euro's (actually all proper global cars) seem "better".

But saying that you should not be ashamed of your Falcon interior, personally I think the B series was a step backwards but the FG is streets ahead of the A and B series.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #44
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
It comes down to personal opinion but at the end of the day, those ******* claimed that the FG's interior was "the best part of a decade" old which is complete and utter crap.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 13-05-2012, 10:57 PM   #45
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Holden tune cars to make good ADR economy figures for the ADR tests, Ford tune the cars to get good economy in the real world. Has been proven over and over again when the Fords can come close to their ADR figure, while Holdens can't get near it. How do they manage to smudge the figures?

And whats with the Falcon interior comments, that its a decade old. WTF?
Funny enough a mate of mine (likes the Holdens) made the comment of the FG interior (when it first came out) that it looked too much like a B-series. I really didn't get that comment. I mean I can see similarities but its a much nicer and not so boring interior when sitting inside the FG.

Quote:
Looking at a few base model euro's they seem 10 years behind to me.
Old 14-05-2012, 03:17 AM   #46
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm not a fan of the FG interior design. In fact, I prefer the B-Series interior styling to the FG.

But the article says that the FG interior has been around for a decade. Whether or not the FG's interior styling is dated is irrelevant - the article was worded incorrectly. The FG interior has only been around since 2008.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #47
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM1DY
The most significant thing that I see in those results -

Ford Falcon
Fuel use (claimed) 9.9L/100km
Fuel use (on test): 9.97L/100km

Holden Commodore
Fuel use (claimed) 8.9L/100km
Fuel use (on test): 9.85L/100km
the thing about 'official' results are usually based on rolling road (dyno) rather than real-world driving. as a result, things like aero-drag and such aren't factored in. it's still a long way from the commodore's result.
Old 14-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #48
grey_esp
Greys tuf too :-)

I can't stand the Au trim its like a taurus only worse. The BA was a massive step forward and I quite like it, but I agree when compared to the FG is boring. I think FG has one of the nicest interior designs available at the moment, but... C,mon the seats do look 10 years old they are all rounded at the tops, head rests, shoulders etc. They really need to do something with them it really lets the car down. Everytime I see one I think to my self what are they doing with the old seats in there still, they just dont suit it.
grey_esp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2012, 12:14 PM   #49
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_esp
I can't stand the Au trim its like a taurus only worse.
let's do our best to not start that crap again.
Old 14-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #50
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its funny, spending a week in an award winning Skoda Superb was just how average it was. Here I was expecting Volkswagen group's attention to detail and huge production volume to produce a car that would blow me away - it didnt come close.

Sure it had a lot of attention to detail, like wipers which hide under the bonnet and automatically raise when you turn off the car in case you want to flick them open to clean the windscreen. Also lights that follow the steering to help you see around corners, a tailgate that can act like a sedan or a hatchback depending on what button you press (very impressed with that). Even little things like mood lighting in the footwells and behind door handles, auto wipers, B-pillar mounted air vents for the rear seat etc.

...but apart from the features, it just didnt impress. The 7 speed DSG shuddered on take-off, sometimes would roll back or shoot foward when you take the foot off the brake at a red light. Coupled with very grabby brakes meant it was a frustrating car to drive smoothly.

The front wheel drive aspect would make the car scrabble and activate traction control on mildly damp surfaces. The steering was vague, the engine would run out of steam quickly. The interior was not intuitive to use and the bloody indicator stalk was for the LHD market (how can ADRs allow this??)

As far as interior design or presentation, I honestly think a modern Falcon or Commodore look nicer - even if they are missing some bling and nice touches. What really impresses with the local cars are the way they drive - they are simply world class drives. Handling, steering, transmissions just work so well on cars that shouldnt be this good - but they are! I actually enjoy driving when I am in a new Commodore or Falcon, other cars feel like just mere transport. Taking back the Skoda to the rental yard, I just didnt care or feel any attachment, usually I dont want to give back a Calais or G6E.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #51
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen

...but apart from the features, it just didnt impress. The 7 speed DSG shuddered on take-off, sometimes would roll back or shoot foward when you take the foot off the brake at a red light. Coupled with very grabby brakes meant it was a frustrating car to drive smoothly.
As the owner of a VW and obviously a G6ET I agree completely. I get dsg models as service loaners and while DSG's might read great in a tech spec sheet that's about it. In urban drving they are a pain. I believe the Focus DSG is better however having driven a new ZF 8speed auto I'm even more convinced no dsg for me.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #52
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i guess it depends on the individuals opinion, but i actually like the fact that the falcon DOESN'T have a flat floor in the boot.
agree with you Prydey, nothing worse than having stuff rolling/sliding around in the boot from one side of the car to another every time you take a corner.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #53
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
agree with you Prydey, nothing worse than having stuff rolling/sliding around in the boot from one side of the car to another every time you take a corner.
I agree, put the shopping bags in it and they stay upright and don't roll over. In a flat boot by the time you get home, your shopping is all over the place!

Old 14-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #54
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Here is a ten year old Audi A6 interior

The new Volkswagen Passat interior

And a four year old Falcon interior

I prefer Falcon And I am very happy with my current interior (XR6T, premium sound, piano black finish).
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2012, 09:51 PM   #55
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Its funny, spending a week in an award winning Skoda Superb was just how average it was. Here I was expecting Volkswagen group's attention to detail and huge production volume to produce a car that would blow me away - it didnt come close.

Sure it had a lot of attention to detail, like wipers which hide under the bonnet and automatically raise when you turn off the car in case you want to flick them open to clean the windscreen. Also lights that follow the steering to help you see around corners, a tailgate that can act like a sedan or a hatchback depending on what button you press (very impressed with that). Even little things like mood lighting in the footwells and behind door handles, auto wipers, B-pillar mounted air vents for the rear seat etc.

The front wheel drive aspect would make the car scrabble and activate traction control on mildly damp surfaces. The steering was vague, the engine would run out of steam quickly. The interior was not intuitive to use and the bloody indicator stalk was for the LHD market (how can ADRs allow this??)

As far as interior design or presentation, I honestly think a modern Falcon or Commodore look nicer - even if they are missing some bling and nice touches. What really impresses with the local cars are the way they drive - they are simply world class drives. Handling, steering, transmissions just work so well on cars that shouldnt be this good - but they are! I actually enjoy driving when I am in a new Commodore or Falcon, other cars feel like just mere transport. Taking back the Skoda to the rental yard, I just didnt care or feel any attachment, usually I dont want to give back a Calais or G6E.
Totally agree with your views.... Yet people carry on about Skodas as though they are the best thing since sliced bread. Go figure.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2012, 10:04 PM   #56
nstg8a

Quote:
Here is a ten year old Audi A6 interior

The new Volkswagen Passat interior

And a four year old Falcon interior

I prefer Falcon And I am very happy with my current interior (XR6T, premium sound, piano black finish).
further to that, my fg is a real povo pack xr, it has zero options, and i still love the interior.
yes some of the plastics feel decidedly rubbish, but on a whole its awesome, i persoanlly think you have to go back to a ef/el ghia for the last really good falcon interior.
i never rated b series, and really dislike au interiors.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2012, 10:09 PM   #57
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #58
nstg8a

^^^ thats what im talking about.

and thats what it took to outsell commodore.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #59
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

I almost had a complete Ghia interior in cappa...I was next i line if the owner didn't want the wreck back (written of EF Fairmont)

Owner wanted it back...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2012, 10:48 PM   #60
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I'd have to say that the AU Ghia interior was pretty damn good, all except that silly circular pod in the middle.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post